SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Questions I have that I believe haven't been answered before

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-12, 02:02 AM
LexF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions I have that I believe haven't been answered before

Pardon my questions if they come across as silly.
My wife is interested in a SC430 and I understand they quit making them in 2010 so Lexus.com has little info.

Were there any options that could be added to an SC aside from misc rubber floor mats and cargo net? Lotpro.com is telling me no. That they basically all came with nav, nice stereo, etc...

Can you drop the top while driving?

-Is it one touch operation for the hardtop opening and closing?

-Has anyone added paddle shifters?

Who has the most mileage on their SC? Or what's the most mileage you've seen on an SC? Any issues with it?

Has anyone added remote start other then using the luxlink? Say from clifford or viper?

Has anyone added a push button start? Like this one here http://www.advancedkeys.com/index.htm

Do the headlights automatically level themselves out? For those that have lowered their SC do the headlights compensate and level out correctly?

Has anyone added aftermarket projectors to their headlights? Or baked them open and painted them?

What are common issues with the SC aside from the wind noise caused by the windows rolling up to high and cracking the rubber weather sealant.

Has anyone added cooled seats to their SC?

Are there any taillight upgrades aside from the 2006+ taillights?

Last edited by LexF; 11-06-12 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-06-12, 04:41 AM
FlopTop04
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 103 Posts

I can answer one of the questions.

Has anyone added remote start other then using the luxlink? Say from clifford or viper?

Yes. Here is the Viper install on my SC430 :
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ID~131859~PN~1

Works great. Has some advantages and some short-comings compared to the LuxLink.

Pluses:
Longer range.
Two way command confirmation.
No hidden key or transponder chip left under dash. ( better security )
Can add SmartStart for iPhone control. ( real long range control )

Minuses:
Extra FOB to carry.
Won't do console control button "double press" to open or close top.

While possible, didn't add 1/4 window control.
Old 11-06-12, 09:06 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

you can not drop the top while drive... and i dont think your would want to.. if you're driving fast enough.. im sure it wont be very happy when the wind catches it and rips the roof off.. and its not one touch.. you have to press and hold for about 25 seconds for it to complete.. unless you get the luxlink which you can have a basically one touch.. i've seen a guy on here bake his headlights and painted them. as for the car being lowered.. my headlights still level out pretty good..
Old 11-06-12, 11:46 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Were there any options that could be added to an SC aside from misc rubber floor mats and cargo net? Lotpro.com is telling me no. That they basically all came with nav, nice stereo, etc...

They dont ALL come with Nav but i've never seen one without it. All that I have seen were fully loaded.

Can you drop the top while driving? No, and wouldnt recommend it.

-Is it one touch operation for the hardtop opening and closing? only with lux link

-Has anyone added paddle shifters? no, pointless with the way this transmission/engine is tunned/programed it would be similar to what is found on the Is250 which is really just a shift limiter.

Who has the most mileage on their SC? Or what's the most mileage you've seen on an SC? Any issues with it? Ive seen them over 200k already for the 02s, they reported no major issues with regular maint.

Has anyone added remote start other then using the luxlink? Say from clifford or viper? Yes ive seen VIPER you can find videos on youtube and some members on here also have it.

Has anyone added a push button start? Like this one here http://www.advancedkeys.com/index.htm Never seen it done, seems like it would kind of be a waste of money but anything can be done for a price. Give it a try.

Do the headlights automatically level themselves out? For those that have lowered their SC do the headlights compensate and level out correctly? No issues with lowered cars and leveling that Ive heard of or seen.

Has anyone added aftermarket projectors to their headlights? Or baked them open and painted them? Yes

What are common issues with the SC aside from the wind noise caused by the windows rolling up to high and cracking the rubber weather sealant. Wind noise and handeling are the two major complaints with the car. Neither is really a mechanic defect. In buying a used SC id check the antenna and the top motors to make sure they are working. The trunk struts also go out with age but those are the only things ive seen wrong with older SCs.

Has anyone added cooled seats to their SC? Not that ive seen, would be hard to do since I dont think any air runs under the seat like in the 2IS. I havent seen any lexus with cooled seats only ventilated seats.

Are there any taillight upgrades aside from the 2006+ taillights?[/QUOTE] Only seen people tint the lights black or red, IMO the 06+ tails are the way to go.
Old 11-07-12, 09:18 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Note that clear corners recently released rear light LEDs that look great.
Old 11-08-12, 06:51 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adding cooled seats would require changing out the leather seating surfaces, since the leather in the SC is not perforated to allow air flow. That would be a colossal waste of money in my opinion
Old 11-08-12, 07:00 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

My LS430 ultra luxury edition has cooled seats that use thermoelectric coolers and a fan underneath the seat. The seat cushion foam is channeled and the leather seating surface is perforated to allow air flow. The thermoelectric device cools when current is passed through it in one polarity and heats then the current is reversed. Pretty neat. I'd hate to think how much something like this would cost as a retrofit.

By the way, the cooling is very effective and a real pleasure on hot days because you don't stick to the seat as much because of the trapped heat. The heat mode is much less effective because it takes seemingly forever to get warm compared to the traditional heater wires like in our SC's and it never gets as warm as I'd like.