SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Changing Valve Cover Gasket & removing Air intake Box DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-12, 10:14 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Changing Valve Cover Gasket & removing Air intake Box DIY

This is the first half of the DIY. It is not complete but I will update it as soon as I get the other pics.

These pictures so far will guide you to remove the air box and show what has to be removed before removing the passenger side valve cover.

NOTE: After removing all of this I realized that ALL the bolts both on the passenger and driver side valve cover were loose! (I was able to turn them with my fingers!) I tightened them all up and will monitor any leaks. This is why this DIY is not complete as yet.

Tools Needed
10mm socket
Socket ratchet
Angle socket attachment
Valve cover gasket Lexus $17.95 x 2
Spark Plugs NGK Irridium X8 $8.95 at advance auto parts

Step 1: Remove the 10mm bolt on the battery terminals and remove battery.
Step2: Remove Engine cover: 2 10mm bolts and just pull up

Picture below with airbox completely removed

I have highlighted most of the bolts that must be removed on the passenger side valve cover

Remove the battery base to gain easier access to rear bolt bottom bolt of the passenger side valve cover

Pic with battery and battery base removed. You can see the bolt I am talking about.

Last edited by TriniLex; 12-12-12 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-31-12, 10:15 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

I placed some foil paper over the hose hole to block any debris from falling in.

Last edited by TriniLex; 12-12-12 at 09:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TriniLex:
bigrin (12-11-18), buddhi (10-10-21)
Old 12-12-12, 06:42 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great DIY! But where is the rest of the half? I need to do this to my car!

Thanks
Old 12-12-12, 09:09 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Yea sorry, thats where I stopped because I realized just tightening the bolts fixed my leak..
This may not be the same fix for you.
I believe the previous owner took it to the dealer to have the timing belt done and they were going to do the valve cover, but the owner said no not at that time. The mechanic must have forgotten to tighten them back.
All bolts were finger tight.
So far no leaks.

The next step would of course just to remove the bolts around the valve cover.
Replace the gasket
Replace the spark plug gaskets
Change your plugs while your in there
Change PCV valve
Look close to see if there are any gasket sealant. Replace gasket sealant in the same locations and put it all back together.
Old 12-13-12, 08:01 PM
nukezero
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

May I ask you, how long did it take to do this job? 3 hours?

Do you need to take out the spark plugs?? I believe you do right? since they sort of sit on top of the valve cover on the outside.
Old 12-13-12, 08:30 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

I didn't complete the whole job.
When I got to the point of removing the bolts on the valve cover I realized they were loose.
I tightened them and did not replace anything.

To get to the point in the pictures took me about 20 mins.
Removing the bolt might take another 10 minutes.
Old 11-29-16, 10:54 AM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you ever complete this DIY or do your valve cover gaskets? I have a 2002 SC430 with 160k miles on it and noticed the smell of burning oil, and the dealer said it's time to replace the VCG and spark plug grommets. After reading about the bolts being loose on these cars, I checked mine. Sure enough, mine are loose and I could finger tighten them. Going to tighten them tonight with a wrench/socket but ordered a gasket too so I'll be looking to do this, this weekend.

Any pointers?

thanks-
Erich
Old 11-29-16, 05:57 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by emg2919
Did you ever complete this DIY or do your valve cover gaskets? I have a 2002 SC430 with 160k miles on it and noticed the smell of burning oil, and the dealer said it's time to replace the VCG and spark plug grommets. After reading about the bolts being loose on these cars, I checked mine. Sure enough, mine are loose and I could finger tighten them. Going to tighten them tonight with a wrench/socket but ordered a gasket too so I'll be looking to do this, this weekend.

Any pointers?

thanks-
Erich
i too went down this road and recorded it in a similar thread. That was over a year ago and I just checked the valvecover bolts last weekend, guess what, they were loose again. Tightened them up and the oil stopped leaking, again. So my new gaskets will sit awhile longer on the shelf.
if you decide to change yours, please take pictures and finish this thread...
Old 11-30-16, 12:14 PM
emg2919
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just tightened all of mine, so I'm not going to attempt this yet. Will let you know if I do. THanks.
Old 12-01-16, 03:09 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
i too went down this road and recorded it in a similar thread. That was over a year ago and I just checked the valvecover bolts last weekend, guess what, they were loose again. Tightened them up and the oil stopped leaking, again. So my new gaskets will sit awhile longer on the shelf.
if you decide to change yours, please take pictures and finish this thread...
So are these bolts a candidate for Loctite Blue?
Old 12-07-16, 09:48 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
So are these bolts a candidate for Loctite Blue?
What is up with these bolts? Mine are also loose when I bought the car. I also had the oil leaks until I tighten them up. I have a Land Cruiser with 4.7L and the same bolts are loose when we bought it last year. If mine get loose again, I may use Loctite.
Old 12-08-16, 02:29 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BCT
What is up with these bolts? Mine are also loose when I bought the car. I also had the oil leaks until I tighten them up. I have a Land Cruiser with 4.7L and the same bolts are loose when we bought it last year. If mine get loose again, I may use Loctite.
Loctite sounds like the answer but I wonder if the rubber gasket shrinks slightly over time which would allow one to think the bolts loosened. The only way to know would be to compare a new gasket to a used gasket. I will certainly do the comparison when I change mine someday. I have the FelPro gaskets and when it starts leaking again, I will change them and do the plugs.
Old 12-08-16, 09:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Loctite is not useful in the application. The reason why bolts get loose is that the gasket is shrinking over time. Remember it is not a steel gasket that retains the shape across time.
Old 12-08-16, 10:32 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
the gasket is shrinking over time.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh! I get it.

When you say the gasket is shrinking, I picture a circular sponge that was 4 inches round and now is 3.75 inches round and wondered how that would effect the bolts. Then it dawned on me; when you say "shrinking" you mean it is getting thinner/flatter which puts less pressure on the bolts, making them loose.
Old 12-29-16, 09:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

These look to be original plugs and they look very uniform and still in good shape at 82k miles.
IFR6T11 is the number for the replacement plugs, the OEM is IFR6A11 and have been discontinued.
The gasket kit. I thought I needed two kits so now I have an extra.
This kit has the valve cover gasket, bolt rubber washer gaskets and the spark plug tube gaskets...everything fit perfectly!

Well the wife came home the other day and said the car smelled like burning oil, which means the valve covers are leaking again. I tightened them last month and it stopped for about a week, but no more, time to replace the gaskets and change the plugs too.

No need to start another thread on this subject, start reading at post 54.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-thread-2.html

i didn't need to take any pictures because it has already been well documented, I also found some decent YouTube videos that show how to replace the spark plug gaskets...just search for Toyota spark plug gasket.

Last edited by Bgw70; 12-12-18 at 01:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Changing Valve Cover Gasket & removing Air intake Box DIY