SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brake pedal travel ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 08:11 AM
ruger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal travel ???

Seems like my sc430 2004 with good brakes,has alot of travel in the pedal before it takes hold..
with that said they seem to stop the car fine..Is the brake pedal adjustable?? Please reply
Old 05-16-16, 08:47 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 138 Posts

Only two things can cause a low pedal that holds on this. One is air or water in the system. Two a slightly warped rotor that would be shoving the pads back.
Old 05-16-16, 09:09 AM
ruger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Coleroad
Only two things can cause a low pedal that holds on this. One is air or water in the system. Two a slightly warped rotor that would be shoving the pads back.
There seems to be enough pedal height but some slack or lose pedal feel before you get to that point.
My Tacomia truck is always that way..Seems like there should be some way to remove the slack..
Old 05-16-16, 09:35 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Have you ever had the brakes serviced? Bleeding the lines should help with the brake pedal travel.
Old 05-16-16, 03:58 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

If you haven't had the brake fluid flushed, you ought to consider it.
Old 05-16-16, 04:29 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

OK I have read both Shawn and Harold's posts. If the fluid does not have air in it. And you would certainly know if it did. How is bleeding the system or flushing going to effect the brake pedal travel? From ruger's post, it does not indicate the presence of air in the system.
Old 05-16-16, 04:45 PM
ruger
Rookie

I may have stated this wrong..The brakes seem fine and I dont have to jam my foot into the pedal to stop the car.It just seems like there is extra play in the pedal before it starts apply brakes.Also it makes a sound when you take your foot of the pedal..Even with engine off if you press pedal and then remove foot ,it make a little clunk sound...Dont know what would cause this but did find others on line with the same two problems but no answers for a fix....
Old 05-19-16, 02:28 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ruger
I may have stated this wrong..The brakes seem fine and I dont have to jam my foot into the pedal to stop the car.It just seems like there is extra play in the pedal before it starts apply brakes.Also it makes a sound when you take your foot of the pedal..Even with engine off if you press pedal and then remove foot ,it make a little clunk sound...Dont know what would cause this but did find others on line with the same two problems but no answers for a fix....
similar feeling on my breaks and the occasionally noticed the clunk sound , ignored but now I am curious....
Old 05-19-16, 02:51 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Not long after I got my SC in 09. (it is an 06) I had Flow Lexus in Greensboro check out the "clunk" They indicated that all was well. I do not know why our brake pedal clunks, but apparently it is common. It does seem to be different than any other car I have owned. I just learned to ignore it.

Just to be clear. Mine clunks on the return. Not going down or pressing.
Old 05-19-16, 03:41 PM
ruger
Rookie

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Not long after I got my SC in 09. (it is an 06) I had Flow Lexus in Greensboro check out the "clunk" They indicated that all was well. I do not know why our brake pedal clunks, but apparently it is common. It does seem to be different than any other car I have owned. I just learned to ignore it.

Just to be clear. Mine clunks on the return. Not going down or pressing.
Same here, wonder if there is a fix??
Old 05-19-16, 04:30 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by ruger
Same here, wonder if there is a fix??
My understanding is, no. It really doesn't bother me. The only reason I had it checked is I was there for another reason and I thought I would ask.
Old 05-19-16, 08:58 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

For what is worth, the travel on my car is now almost zero after my resent brake pad change. I have not noticed any brake clunk noise either.
Old 05-20-16, 03:31 AM
ruger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Bgw70
For what is worth, the travel on my car is now almost zero after my resent brake pad change. I have not noticed any brake clunk noise either.

can the brakes be bled with removing the wheels???
Old 05-20-16, 09:20 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I've never had any brake clunck and I've serviced my brakes twice. Maybe the caliper bolts are not tightened completely and the clunk is the caliper sliding back and forth? Or you're missing the brake shims? Or the caliper springs might be installed incorrectly? Also, I helped with my recent Big Brake Kit Upgrade to the Supra TT 4 piston calipers. After we tightened everything up, the mechanic had me jump in the car and press the pedal down and pump the pedal while he bleed the brakes. It went all they way to the floor, then he told me to pump a few times after he closed the valve. He asked if it felt normal. I said it's still a little low. He open the valve again and had me pump while he bled it more. The pedal returned to where I felt it was it's natural position. We did this four times for each caliper. I recommend anyone who feel that there's too much travel, try a brake bleed. Additionally, I do believe you can bleed the brakes without having to remove the wheels, if you have a lift high enough to get totally under the car to access the rear of the calipers. Don't quote me on that, though.
Old 05-20-16, 02:53 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

I bled the brakes after I replaced the master cylinder and I removed the wheels. I suppose it is possible to do it with the wheels on, as Shawn stated, and a lift would make it easier.

As for the clunk, I would get the clunk when I would first back the car out of the driveway when everything was still cool. The sound would certainly bother me and I think it went away after the brakes warmed up a little.

I believe there might have been a TSB on this subject but I cannot be certain without looking it up.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal travel ???