SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Water in the trunk..finally solved?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-19, 12:52 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dommo25
This is exasperating. Not being very mechanically minded (read - not at all), I'm not really understanding the descriptions in this thread. I spent a couple of hours today analysing the situation and took pics. My leak is also on the right hand side of the trunk.

I raised the roof half way and took a close look at the parts in question.

So I get that the water that runs off the roof should eventually siphon down channels from the top corner of the rubber seals around the back window and exit at the bottom corners which drain into a tray highlighted in green ...

When I poured water into the little hole at the top corner via a funnel, it leaked via a couple of screws and also leaked out between the rubber and metal ...

Some water did exit neatly from the bottom hole and land in the drip tray, so it wasn't blocked. Is this what people mean when they say that the inner channel can't cope with the volume?

Of course, I haven't fixed anything and I'm not sure I've articulated the problem any better than previous posters. I'd be interested if anyone can spot anything particular to my situation and can suggest any permanent fix. Thanks!
im having this exact same issue - what was the fix?
The following users liked this post:
Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 03-05-19, 01:22 PM
dommo25
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgeeez
im having this exact same issue - what was the fix?
hi, eventually I just bought a tube of Sikaflex marine grade black sealant and piped that sucker as far under and all around the bottom of the black rubber strip at the bottom of the back window. The instructions on the tube say it should only be applied to clean, dry surfaces, but to do that I would have had to basically lift the whole rubber strip, wipe it down, then re-install (impossible). So I just used q-tips and slid them under the rubber as best I could before pumping the rubber sealant in as mentioned before. Not pretty, but you can’t see the mess when the roof is closed (or open). Seems to have done the trick 2 years on. Good luck!
Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 03-05-19, 01:25 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

hi, eventually I just bought a tube of Sikaflex marine grade black sealant and piped that sucker as far under and all around the bottom of the black rubber strip at the bottom of the back window. The instructions on the tube say it should only be applied to clean, dry surfaces, but to do that I would have had to basically lift the whole rubber strip, wipe it down, then re-install (impossible). So I just used q-tips and slid them under the rubber as best I could before pumping the rubber sealant in as mentioned before. Not pretty, but you can’t see the mess when the roof is closed (or open). Seems to have done the trick 2 years on. Good luck!
do you happen to have a picture of where you did this? i have water by the screws as well
Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 03-05-19, 04:32 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Originally Posted by pp000830
With careful observation, it is clear that the gutter along the bottom of the window, hidden under the trunk lid, in conjunction with the side sections are designed so water can fill the channel and pass under the rubber side sections to drain out through the trunk side gutters left & right.
There is a design problem with this in that the metal part of the gutter is too shallow and therefore it relies on the clipped on trunk seal to provide additional depth. The problem is that eventually, the interface between the metal gutter and the rubber clipped on seal eleaks. It is interesting that many replace the seal although in my opinion it really need not be replaced.
The second problem is that dirt and debris accumulate behind the side sections reduces the free flow of water from the gutter under the window backing up the water feeding any leaks along the gutter.

My goal is to reduce the leaking to the point where it does not drip on the carpet under the trunk hinges to any great extent.
First I cleaned the gutter and behind the side sections.
I then used 3M Black trim adhesive to seal the top edge of the side pieces only to the left & right roof pliers to reduce water flow under the rubber side parts from the roof pillars.
I then pulled off the trunk seal at the bottom of the window and put a bead of sealant where it is in contact with the window metal bottom gutter.
I feel these two items will likely reduce the leaking to the point where it is not an issue.
If I find leaking to still be a problem I will add an additional strip of gasketting used for home windows under the front facing edge of the trunk lid to form a completely sealed transition from the base of the rear window to the trunk lid.
In my opinion, less is more so I am doing this in steps making sure the solution is durable and not visible on the body or in the trunk,

do you have pictures?
Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 03-08-19, 11:38 PM
dommo25
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgeeez
do you happen to have a picture of where you did this? i have water by the screws as well

Starting in the corner, I piped in as much sealant as was possible before it started oozing back up, then I worked the nozzle along towards the middle (bottom) of the windscreen. I only did one side.

The following 2 users liked this post by dommo25:
PatrickH (06-26-21), Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 03-09-19, 12:46 PM
bgeeez
Rookie

Starting in the corner, I piped in as much sealant as was possible before it started oozing back up, then I worked the nozzle along towards the middle (bottom) of the windscreen. I only did one side.

thank you! I put some sealant where i thought the leak was in the corner and the drops in the trunk moved, so im going to just do the whole thing next time

Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 11-26-22, 07:10 AM
Jakeisawd
2nd gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexie
I have the exact same problem like you described and I also studied how the water channel works.. It usually happened at the right side and made my carpet all wet. It happened at high speed.

What I did was to apply some gasket foam tape on the trunk rubber gasket ( to make it thicker) just near by the inner channel area and it seemed the leaking problem has been solved for now.
that may have worked , let me tell you what fixed my leak. I sat in the trunk and had my friend spray with water. Found multiple plastic pins, behind the tail light housing, and behind plastic shield covering latch in center. These pins were letting water past when it sprayed at a certain angle. I took the pins out and put gasket maker around them.. after that no more leak… only cost me 2k for a new amp ha ha.
Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 11-27-22, 09:22 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakeisawd
that may have worked , let me tell you what fixed my leak. I sat in the trunk and had my friend spray with water. Found multiple plastic pins, behind the tail light housing, and behind plastic shield covering latch in center. These pins were letting water past when it sprayed at a certain angle. I took the pins out and put gasket maker around them.. after that no more leak… only cost me 2k for a new amp ha ha.
do you mean the brake light, aka “third light” attached to the trunk lid?
Touaregman (09-05-23)
Old 03-27-23, 06:45 PM
Harleygirl
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Water leaks in trunk

Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Does anyone use weatherstrip lubricant on the weatherstripping on your cars, especially the stripping between the roof panels? As our cars get older the stripping will deteriorate and cause the roof to leak. Water in the trunk is one thing, water inside the car would suck. Please share with me the products you use to keep your weatherstripping in good shape.
I use crc silicon spray in (red and white can). I siliconize all my rubber weather strips once per month . Maximum every six months. So far so good
The following 2 users liked this post by Harleygirl:
Nusbaum (03-28-23), Touaregman (08-29-23)
Old 03-29-23, 04:19 PM
doobs
Intermediate

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Use this instead of spray: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post11133398
Touaregman (08-29-23)