SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help Help !!! 2002 SC430 roof not going down all the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 07:31 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help Help !!! 2002 SC430 roof not going down all the way

I am having problem with my roof not going down all the way because the black piece behind the back seats (called package tray) doesn't go up to give the top of roof enough space to goes down in the trunk. I think there a switch that is bad because I check the Package tray link motor and it operated when power apllied, so it is not the motor that drives the package tray...
Anyone has any idea ??
Old 07-19-12, 08:37 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had the same issue, and it recurs occasionally.
I believe it's a sensor in the package tray that's dirty or malfunctioning.
The dealership has never acknowledged an issue.

Put the top back up, then turn off the car and remove the key.
This is easier for me when the top is down and won't come up, but bang on the package tray a couple of times. Then try again. You may have to do it a couple of times, but it should work.

One of the things I have considered is that the bumpers underneath the package tray may need to be adjusted because the sensors don't like where it's positioned. But I haven't gone into it that far -- yet.

Hope this helps. It's not fatal, just very annoying.
Old 07-19-12, 09:12 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by antigeek
I have had the same issue, and it recurs occasionally.
I believe it's a sensor in the package tray that's dirty or malfunctioning.
The dealership has never acknowledged an issue.

Put the top back up, then turn off the car and remove the key.
This is easier for me when the top is down and won't come up, but bang on the package tray a couple of times. Then try again. You may have to do it a couple of times, but it should work.

One of the things I have considered is that the bumpers underneath the package tray may need to be adjusted because the sensors don't like where it's positioned. But I haven't gone into it that far -- yet.

Hope this helps. It's not fatal, just very annoying.
I tried that banging already but didn't help :-(
I've already disconnect the battery for more than 2 hours and I also replaced the battery too
Old 07-19-12, 12:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

If you can get the top to "fail" WHILE at the Lexus dealership with the diagnostic tool attached, you can get the DTC code. Unfortunately, they are not stored. If you get the DTC code, that will certainly point towards the solution. When my top failed, it cost $130 to get the DTC code. Best $130 I ever spent since it saved me thousands in the long run.
Old 07-19-12, 01:25 PM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
If you can get the top to "fail" WHILE at the Lexus dealership with the diagnostic tool attached, you can get the DTC code. Unfortunately, they are not stored. If you get the DTC code, that will certainly point towards the solution. When my top failed, it cost $130 to get the DTC code. Best $130 I ever spent since it saved me thousands in the long run.
That is no problem if I take my car to dealer because it fails all the time.
What I'm trying here is to fix it without going to dealer ...
Hopefully someone has the same problem and will give me some pointers.
Old 07-19-12, 01:38 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I believe Johnny's point is...there are 26 motors, switches and sensors along with one ECU managing the sliding roof operation. Instead of guessing, a DTC will point you at the suspect area. But, even with that, one recent case turned out to be a sliver of a metal fragment in the works causing the problem. It was only discovered on closer inspection my the member's independent mechanic...The error code did point to the correct area, but even it could not know there was a foreign body mucking up the works.
Old 07-19-12, 01:39 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

BTW Johnny, I'm still waiting on a slice of cold pizza....LOL!!!
Old 07-20-12, 05:58 AM
tofu
Pole Position

I'm happy to let y'all know that I finally got my roof working again. Bam everything is back to normal..
I found this this thread yesterday: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...lp-please.html
It took me 3 hrs to remove the back seats and all the covers inside the trunk and finally found the 4 limit switches (Roof Pos #1 & #2, Roof Pos #3, Package tray #1 and #2 switches) they were corroded and stuck, first I blew them off with air hose and then cleaned the 4 switches. let me tell y'all that those switches are not very big and they are very well hidden.
Here is the picture that I found on that thread that help me to find the problem:

Last edited by tofu; 07-20-12 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-20-12, 06:19 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Congrat that you were able fix it and thanks for the addition to the first hand troubleshooting to the sc430 top issue

I must said this forum is extremely helpful. I wish I can contribute too.....
Old 07-20-12, 05:26 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Nice job Tofu.

So did you have to clean all the switches? Did any of them look like they needed to be replaced? Did it turn out that you had to remove all the items that you did or only one or two (like the back seat or inside trunk cover)?
Old 07-23-12, 02:18 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Were the switches corroded due to water getting to them or the switches just old and worn out.
Old 07-23-12, 08:04 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Another couple of thousand bucks not spent at the dealer. We've had several DIY top solutions lately, most excellent.
Old 07-25-12, 07:26 AM
tofu
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Harold57
Nice job Tofu.

So did you have to clean all the switches? Did any of them look like they needed to be replaced? Did it turn out that you had to remove all the items that you did or only one or two (like the back seat or inside trunk cover)?
Originally Posted by gripau1
Were the switches corroded due to water getting to them or the switches just old and worn out.
My guess is the water must have gotten into those switches and corroded them. I cleaned the switches with spray can that I bought from Autozone called Electronic part cleaner, like I said the difficult part of the process is locating the switches and removing all the covers inside the trunk and the back seats.
Old 07-25-12, 11:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Good stuff. Thanks for your "problem" now we know what we need to do in case it is the same root cause.