SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2007 - steering wheel volume control issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 04:10 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting background info.

In Europe the Nav's are named after the year they launched. See http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/Shop/Index. Could be different over there.

So; Gen 00, Gen 01, Gen 03, Gen 05 & Gen 08 (the "Hard Disk Drive" & "Lexus CD" are also mentioned on that site). No "Gen 2".
Old 09-03-12, 04:44 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That is interesting, however the version here in the states is a generation 2/3, so maybe the 2 was just dropped over there.
Old 09-10-12, 06:26 AM
BruceLT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fix for the steering wheel volume controls worked great. Thanks so much!
Old 09-10-12, 04:48 PM
92fs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mrblister
in step one the word Withing is that meant to be waiting or within

in step one the word Withing is that meant to be waiting or within
You're freaking awesome! I performed these steps on a 2004 LS 430 with navigation and worked beautifully.
Old 05-23-13, 06:55 AM
Destynie
Driver School Candidate

This fix saved my life this morning

Thank you!
Old 03-20-14, 09:53 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Worked like a charm! Thanks!
Old 03-21-14, 10:30 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That leads to an obvious question. I updated my 02 to Gen 4 nav. Will it work if I have the problem in the future?
Old 04-19-14, 04:45 PM
preed5270
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Steering wheel volume control

This remedy worked for me. I greatly appreciate your help!!
Thank you!
Old 12-21-14, 07:53 PM
Lexusjax
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering wheel control pad installation

Does anybody know how to install a steering wheel control pad.
Old 03-11-16, 12:06 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default steering wheel vol. cntrl. WORST FEATURE ON CAR

On my 02 sc430, if I hold the steering up/down volue arrows, it eventually goes blasting at absolutely full volume. This scared the crap our of us. Is it just my system or have others had this ridiculously bad design, which could blow the whole system up as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-16, 07:30 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Well there are two ways this could happen. First, you can set a memory point on one of the control buttons by getting the volume at the level you desire as a "saved" point by holding down that memory button. That way, if a phone call comes in on your phone or some other reason like chatting with a passenger, you press this button and it returns the volume to that set level quickly. If you mean that you're pressing this button and the volume jumps up too loud, then it's "saved" at a very high point. Second thing, could be a failing ML amp. I've heard that this random jump in volume occurs when the amp starts to fail. Usually the first sign. Check the first thing out, and report back and let us know what you find out.
Old 03-14-16, 12:50 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Thanks for all the replies...this isn't a case of the steering wheel vol up/down not working..it seems if you don't set a 'preset' point for your "comfort zone" and just hold the volume til it nears minium, it comes back like a strike of ACDC blasting you in first row at the tower of speakers at Donnington or something...its like a volume wheel that doesn't have a stop point, it just goes from min to total insane, and not in a good way (anyone wanna trade a Tesla?).
I have ignored out of fear, those vol. pulls for years since it blasted me near out of the car. If I could, I"d probably pull it off, or makte it a control for HID lighting. No one should have designed a set of vol up down ***** that can suddenly to PEAKK RMS....it's a great way for them to sell you a new stereo system!
The point is, I had the "wood down" on the radio and cig light. areas, and my kid was trying to talk to me so I just thumbed it for maybe 2 secs and oh god...I don't know if she'll ever go in m car again...it was actually louder than our screams, so she goes "Whatfg..now our neighbors will have a new set of comlaints about our cars"! The top was down, too!\
I'd really like to have more donfidence about this unit before trying to perform a TSB....anyone have an 02?
It could be a good cardiac stress test...great way to be sold a new ticker with a LS400 and such!
Old 03-14-16, 12:55 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

best comparable scene in movie Back To THe Future is when Marty barely plays 1 note through Do's 8' diameter speakered amp system, and then the doc rings, unaware of the speakers smithereens..."Marty, I think you're gonna have to lay off the guitar amplifier, there's an inistability tin the system that could cause an overload.
Gee, thanks Doc" (Lexus?)....
Old 08-22-16, 12:39 PM
cwagon13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dndshow
This applies only to 2004-2008 SC430 with NAV (I thought all had NAV, but that is was the bulletin says)

1. Insert the key in the ignition and turn it on to the ACC position. Within 30 seconds perform steps 2 and 3.

2. Press and hold the audio MODE switch for more the 10 seconds.

3. After releasing the MODE switch, press the channel up switch 3 times and then the channel down switch 3 times within 5 seconds. NOTE: Make sure you are pressing the channel buttons and NOT the volume buttons.

4. Turn the ignition switch to ON then to the OFF position.

5. Confirm proper operation of the steering wheel controls

Not only did the local Toyota dealer not charge me, but they even printed out the service bulletin and gave me a copy in case I had the problem again. This worked for me. Let me know if this fixes yours.
I have an '04 LS430 and this worked perfectly. Much thanks.
Old 08-22-16, 12:43 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Could this possibly solve the problems many experience with the gain control after installing BeatSonic? Just a thought. Might link it to a Beatsonic thread.

Quick Reply: 2007 - steering wheel volume control issues