SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Info. re: Problem Shifting Out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-12, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Info. re: Problem Shifting Out of Park

A while back I posted a question regarding what might cause a problem shifting out of park. The responses were helpful e.g. make sure foot is on brake. But I encountered the problem again, so I did some research and found this on the ConsumerGuide Automotive Website regaring the reliability of the SC 430:
"TROUBLE SPOTS--Automatic Transmission: The shifter may not always move out of park, even with the brakes applied, due to a rubber anti-rattle pad malfunction requiring the installation of a revised pad."

Does this sound right to you folks?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-17-12, 11:25 AM
laybah
Driver School Candidate

i will look into that and see what i can find.
Old 06-18-12, 01:03 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

You're referring to TSB EL011-02. A TSB or technical service bulletin covers potential problem area which MAY or MAY NOT present as problems. TSB ARE NOT service recall campaigns. This specific TSB was issued in Dec 2002 and was fixed after a certain VIN number with a refined anti rattle pad. Your car is way out of warranty but it cannot hurt to ask your local dealer...1. If your VIN is within the affected range of VINs...and 2. If it is will they take care of it. Although they are not obligated to do so, sometimes they will as a goodwill gesture.
Old 06-18-12, 06:28 AM
Rookie

Talking Thanks Again (and again)!

Thanks, Bob,

As one of my daughters used to say: "You're the Boss Applesauce!"

The problem has presented twice. I have an extended third-party warranty. We'll see how those factors come together to make for a financially viable solution.

What a terrific forum...what great members!

Thanks....once again!

Mike

Last edited by 73446; 06-18-12 at 08:20 AM.
Old 06-18-12, 09:07 AM
VVTiBob

Your completely covered by your warranty unless it's a lowest tier power train only one. After that just use that JD...thats what all those years of school were meant for...right?
Old 06-18-12, 09:19 AM
VVTiBob

Finally found it....I was hunting for this thing last night...finally found it this morning... Here is the PDF of the TSB we've been talking about.. it lists the VIN where the corrected part was installed at the factory ones before the last five digits of the VIN are the affected cars. But not knowing you car's VIN or service history, it may have been corrected previously. My 2002 has not but I have not experience this issue.
You can go online and check the car's maintenance history at http://drivers.lexus.com. Otherwise print out this TSB and take it with you when you go in to discuss this issue.

BTW the revised shift anti-rattle pad, part number 33539–50090, is a 77¢ part with a half-hour of labor time allotted to install it.
Attached Files

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-18-12 at 09:32 AM. Reason: added part number, part cost and labor allotment
Old 07-03-12, 11:50 PM
Rookie

Bob,

The shifter got stuck in the park for the third time. When it freed up after several tries I drove over to Lexus of Sacramento. Good news, Your pricing of the part and installation is spot on, and I'm going to have it done as soon as the part comes in. The lead mechanic said that their shop has never had one of these issues before. Interesting, huh?

The other good news is that they work with my CarMax policy and it's a top drawer one with a $100 deductible per visit! Because the repair is less than the deductible, I plan to have them inspect other known trouble spots for the '02. What common problems would you recommend I have them check for?

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by 73446; 07-28-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 08:07 AM
VVTiBob

The list can be long....just kidding.... While the inspection is important, you MUST read and understand the exclusions of your warranty. For example, weatherstripping. Weatherstripping is usually excluded. While not typically a frequent problem there have been issues.
You should read the sticky thread on buying a used SC430 and copy and paste the the parts of the comments which would be applicable.
Here is a partial list;
Motor mounts - know issue they break ... Transmission mount is usually OK
Speakers, i.e. door woofers and sub woofer - usually blown cone torn from frame. All three of mine have been replaced.
Trunk and hood struts - should have no problems lifting and holding up the lid and hood.
Radio, more specifically the CD player - have you loaded and unloaded multiple CDs...jams occur here ...don't use CD with stuck on paper labels.
Alignment - while it's not covered under warranty if its been a while get it inspected and done. The goes for looking for bent wheels too.
OK that's enough typing on my iPad...read the sticky near the top of the forum, one of our other moderators, SCDROPTOP, put a lot of time and effort into it and most everything is covered there. But remember you need to read about the EXCLUSIONS in your warranty. My shrinking leather headrest problem was excluded now I'll have to pay to get them redone

Good luck with the inspection...I'd just have them do the, what is it,...160 point inspection, the one they'd do if they were going to resell the car under the Lexus CPO warranty. Just stress the points mentioned here and in the sticky thread for a closer inspections?.. Here is a link to the PDF of a CPO inspection so you can get an idea of what they'll look at ....so you can emphasize what you want looked at more closely. LEXUS INSPECTION
Heck it might be easier to print this thing out, write on the extra stuff you want done, and have them return it as a report on your car...(hey that's a really good idea, if I do say so myself )
Did I mention reading the sticky thread...here's a link to it; https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ned-sc430.html

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-04-12 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-04-12, 10:59 AM
Rookie

Grazie, grazie, grazie mille don Bob!
Old 07-05-12, 12:11 AM
johnsfe
Rookie

Hey Mike...if you don't mind...if and when you decide to take your car to Lexus Sac, can you pm me the approx quote for this inspection. I am smack dab in between lexus Concord and lex Sac. This is something I desperately need to do due to my high mileage, and soon.
Old 07-07-12, 03:52 PM
Rookie

Exclamation Happened again...quick temporary fix!

When I presented the shifting problem to the Lexus dealership, they told me what to it do if happened again before they got the two-buck part in: Just remove the small cover on the top left of the shifter platform with a coin of screwdriver and push down on the plastic tab under the cover.

It happened again today, I did the temporary fix...and it worked beautifully! Thought I'd pass that along to any others who have this apparently very rare, but annoying problem!

MIke

Last edited by 73446; 07-29-12 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-28-12, 10:21 AM
mywong23
Driver

Originally Posted by 73446
When I presented the shifting problem to the Lexus dealership, they told me to it happened again before they got the two-buck part in, to remove the small cover on the top left of the shifter platform with a coin of screwdriver and push down on the plastic tab under the cover.

It happened again today, I did the temporary fix...and it worked beautifully! Thought I'd pass that along to any others who have this apparently very rare, but annoying problem!

MIke
thanks to all for the tip.

wife is complaining about being stuck in Park.
will follow up.

probably order part, too.

good news to hear it's a simple fix
Old 07-28-12, 05:33 PM
Rookie

Did the quick temporary fix work for you, mywong23? I hope so.

BTW, when I had the shifter plate fixed the third-party warranty company (from Carmax) covered it even though it was below the $100 deductible! The technical service bulletin that Bob found for me made the difference!

Mike