Badsupra10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of the more expensive tein OnEs are nice
Old 03-30-12, 01:05 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Tein stuff is very mediocre for a premium price. I would run RS*R over Tein anyday.
Old 03-31-12, 11:13 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Bippu147
Best bang for buck - Stance and HSD
Best overall in terms of ride, handling, quality - Zeal, HKS, RS*R

Best to throw into a dumpster - Megan, Ksport, BC

Don't buy china / taiwan junk.
Hi Bippu

Can I ask you why you say Megan shocks are 'junk'?

I had mine shipped from the US, in fact from a member on CL. I bought them on the recommendation of many members on here and have had them on my SC now for over a year. As far as I am concerned they do exactly as they say. Easily adjustable for ride and comfort, easy height adjustment and they improve the handling over stock by miles.
I don't do many miles (weekend car) or use the car for track days, but unless you tell me they are going to brake in the next year I cannot see why you say they are junk.

They may not be the best (although I have no way of comparing), but they do the job.

I look forward to your answer.

Best regards
Steve
Old 03-31-12, 11:38 AM
802lexus
Rookie

so megan and ksport are no good?
Old 03-31-12, 03:49 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

If you've ever driven on a set of quality coils, you wouldn't need to ask me that question. I'm sorry if you feel insulted because you own them and I called them junk.
Old 03-31-12, 04:26 PM
WIL44
Instructor

If you've ever driven on a set of quality coils, you wouldn't need to ask me that question. I'm sorry if you feel insulted because you own them and I called them junk.
Hi Bippu

I don't in anyway feel insulted, they are my choice.
Just would like to know what difference I would notice with what you class as quality coils?
I am not an expert, but I love my car and the Megans do what I want them to do, so why are they junk?

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-02-12, 06:20 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Springs are inconsistent, compression changes drastically with temperature, inconsistent rebound, high seal drag, bad valving.... the list goes on.

Not to mention, the low quality hardware used in the shock.
Old 04-02-12, 12:18 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Springs are inconsistent, compression changes drastically with temperature, inconsistent rebound, high seal drag, bad valving.... the list goes on.

Not to mention, the low quality hardware used in the shock.
Hi Bippu

Thanks for the info.
So, with just normal low mileage driving as a weekend car will they not last long?
Have have not heard any news from the members on here that they have failed.
Obviously you are an expert, but for a non expert like me they 'seem' to do the job, but like I say I have nothing to compare them with except the stock shocks and they are so much better than them.
I am in the process of converting mine to air at the moment (purely to get over speed bumps etc) so the springs will not be an issue, but after spending a fortune on the air, I would hate to find the shocks give out prematurely.
UAS have supplied me with the parts to adapt the Megans and made no mention that they are not good enough for the job.
I would be pleased to have your opinion, albeit probably a bad one....

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-02-12, 02:45 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Our roads in canada are pretty terrible, we have -40C winters and 30C summers. Our roads are bumpy and the conditions are harsh. I've seen a lot of Ksport, Megan, and BC coilovers blow up in the cold weather.

Honestly, it really depends on how you are. Do you put cheap tires, cheap brakes and cheap fuel in your car? I mean it's known that the quality isn't there, so why even bother.... Why wouldn't you take pride in your car and purchase/install good parts that would make driving it more enjoyable. I would HATE to drive my car daily on crappy parts. The few extra dollars more you spend on the Stance / HSD is well worth it in my opinion.

I don't have a lot of experience with air. I would suggest Air Runner because I've seen the quality of their stuff first hand and was very impressed. I don't have any experience with UAS. Although, I would suggest a better damper to use with the UAS.
Old 04-03-12, 03:34 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All, these are peoples opinions not facts. Opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one.

One simple rule, just buy the best you can afford!
Old 04-03-12, 08:52 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

So would it be opinion or fact that Lexus makes a better car than Kia?
Old 04-03-12, 09:12 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Our roads in canada are pretty terrible, we have -40C winters and 30C summers. Our roads are bumpy and the conditions are harsh. I've seen a lot of Ksport, Megan, and BC coilovers blow up in the cold weather.

Honestly, it really depends on how you are. Do you put cheap tires, cheap brakes and cheap fuel in your car? I mean it's known that the quality isn't there, so why even bother.... Why wouldn't you take pride in your car and purchase/install good parts that would make driving it more enjoyable. I would HATE to drive my car daily on crappy parts. The few extra dollars more you spend on the Stance / HSD is well worth it in my opinion.

I don't have a lot of experience with air. I would suggest Air Runner because I've seen the quality of their stuff first hand and was very impressed. I don't have any experience with UAS. Although, I would suggest a better damper to use with the UAS.
Hi Bippu

Thanks again for the info.
Fortunately we only have a max of -10c and +30c in London and they are rare.
Our roads are pretty good and conditions ok.
The SC is a rare car in the UK (only 2000 were ever sold here) so there are very few aftermarket mods available and most of my stuff has to come from the US. When I researched coil overs, i could not find any available here so I got some opinions from CL and lots said Megan's were good.
If I had known at the time, I would have paid more, but I thought they were ok and they have been so far.
I do take pride in my car and spend whatever is necessary on it including all my servicing at Lexus.
The air system I have from UAS is the Accuair system with 'e' level which comes well recommended and the bags and tank are UAS and it was certainly not cheap.
I am three quarters of the way through the install and it is to late to change the shocks now so I will have to hope they hold up and replace them if not.

Thanks again for your comments, I will let you know how it goes.
Best regards
Steve
Old 04-03-12, 10:18 AM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

I hope it works out for you!
Old 04-03-12, 12:46 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by harleydjce
All, these are peoples opinions not facts. Opinions are like @rseholes, everyone has one.

One simple rule, just buy the best you can afford!
Hi Dave

The problem I always have is working out which are opinions and which are facts. Like you say everybody has there own opinion, some good, some bad.

Best regards
Steve
Old 08-25-12, 08:56 PM
Bnneil
Driver School Candidate

I've owned many sets of coilovers. Not for the Lexus mind you but for other cars but mostly MR2's. I would agree that the Ksports aren't great. I really like my H&R coilovers. They rode great and are still working perfectly on my friends car now. I've had many sets of the Tein Coilovers and they ride nice too but eventually they leak. The best part about the Teins though is that they can be rebuilt for a reasonable price in the USA rather than shipping to Japan. Some of the more exotic coilovers get a bit scary this way since there will be problems figuring out where to send them for overhaul. Cusco coilovers are some that ride great but good luck on the rebuild. $500 each means throw them in the garbage and buy new ones! I personally will buy either Tein or H&R for my GS unless I decide to sell it and buy an SC. I've been considering this for a little while since I've had my GS since 07 and maybe want something different. I should mention the H&R coilovers using a Bilstein strut so you know you are getting high quality. I have yet to try them on a Lexus though so maybe someone who has experience with them can chime in. The spring rates were quite soft and ride quality was super smooth with them. I also put 25k on them with zero leaks or issues. Most coilovers you'd be lucky to get 15k without leaks. Anyways best of luck to you guys!