SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Four very annoying rattles.

Old 03-10-12, 11:06 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Four very annoying rattles.

So yes, I know the roof rattle topic has been beaten to death, but the tension adjusting **** has done nothing to help. Any other suggestions? I raised the roof so the rear windshield was perfectly vertical, and gave it a look. I saw two large screws (one for each side), and saw that they were not snug at all. So i tightened them up with a phillips head, not too tight, just to see if that might help... So far, nothing.

Another rattle comes from the sun visors. Doesn't matter if they are up, down, or all the way to the windshield, they still rattle.

The glove compartment tends to rattle from time to time, but I just open and close it and it seems to be a very temporary patch.

The last is the highest little speaker (a tweeter I think its called?) that is on the driver side door. The one that is pretty much touching the weather seal on the door. I took off the frame and put it back on just to see if it might help.

So if anyone has had similar problems and fixed them, please help. I love my car, and I know I shouldn't be complaining because it was a gift, but it is just so dang annoying to listen to all this!!!
Old 03-12-12, 05:47 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Husker, I feel your pain. In relation to the top squeeking, I did adjust the tension **** and after some trial and error it seems I got most, if not all, of the roof rattle to go away. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had it pretty bad before. I didn't touch the two large screws, I only adjusted the one in the middle which you can adjust by hand.

As far as the sunvisors, I have the same problem and my "free" fix is to keep them about half an inch from the top position at all times. This gives them enough "play" to not hit the roof and thus not make the sound.

By the way, do you mind posting a pic of the red tail light tint? Thank you.
Old 03-12-12, 09:06 AM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasone36
Husker, I feel your pain. In relation to the top squeeking, I did adjust the tension **** and after some trial and error it seems I got most, if not all, of the roof rattle to go away. Maybe I was just lucky, but I had it pretty bad before. I didn't touch the two large screws, I only adjusted the one in the middle which you can adjust by hand.

As far as the sunvisors, I have the same problem and my "free" fix is to keep them about half an inch from the top position at all times. This gives them enough "play" to not hit the roof and thus not make the sound.

By the way, do you mind posting a pic of the red tail light tint? Thank you.
I will do that once I get my car back later. It is finally getting its ugly pie plates and snow tires off for my summer tires!