SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I joined to solve this mystery

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-12, 11:28 PM
Lexsam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face I joined to solve this mystery

Well, good evening everyone. Have an interesting dilemma and, absent a similar thread that an expert here will no doubt embarrass me by locating, let me try to seek your collective... advice, wisdom and -- possible solution?

Recent purchase of a 2002 SC 430. Reasonable condition, great repair records. Noticed the other morning that the front driver floor mats kept migrating forward. So, I checked for grommets in the mats -- found them -- and went to insert the mats over the posts in the floor board. Except, instead if locating the posts where they belong, I discovered small, finger-sized holes which led to a void where -- by feel -- I think I discovered the posts sort of just rolling around a lower subfloor. And entirely impossible to retrieve.

Well, what do you think? Trip to Lexus? Does this remotely sound like an issue anyone has had or heard about before?

I knew the previous owner... Great guy. BIG guy. I'm just guessing here, but maybe -- in an attempt to exit the car, and the seats most likely situated as far back as they'd go to accommodate his height -- he might have inadvertently stepped on the posts and pushed them through the floor boards. (I know... really?? both of them?)

Well, thanks for any help you can provide. Or, share an entertaining comment...
Old 02-10-12, 01:25 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy new posts
Old 02-10-12, 06:14 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Just buy new posts
What he said.

The plastic posts that hold the floor mats in are kind-of shaped like this...

* <- this part sticking up attaches to the floor mat
********************* <- this part sticking down goes into the carpet/floor

They're just plastic, and they're underfoot so, there's a decent chance, at some point in the car's life, someone's going to step on one, and it's going to break.

It's possible for it to break near the bend where it goes down into the floor. and, if that happens, that little piece of plastic will fall down into the sub-floor, never to be seen again.

They're cheap. Buy a couple of them from the dealer.
Old 02-10-12, 06:41 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

I have an '02 also, and have never heard of this, but, as noted above, does not sound like a big problem to fix. I would ask the parts department at the dealership first, as it might well be something you can install yourself. If not, buy the parts anyway, and have the service techs do the install the next time you have the car in for service, because the incremental time should be minimal.
Old 02-10-12, 06:41 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And if you buy a new set of mats from Sewell (OEM) they include new retainer posts.
Old 02-10-12, 06:42 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

They are very easy to install. Just push into the hole in the carpet. No need to pay someone.
Old 02-10-12, 07:44 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

With all the hullabaloo last year over the floor mat/accelerator pedal entrapment recall, your local dealer, Toyota or Lexus, will have plenty of these floor mat retaining clips on hand. Follow this LINK to see a picture of the part and explanation of the recall. (although Habious' art work does capture the essense of the part, in an abstract sort of way) While the story focuses on a Toyota Prius, the recall covered many models of Toyotas and Lexus vehicles. I'll also add the SC430 model was NOT part of the safety recall.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 02-10-12 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-10-12, 01:33 PM
dh784123
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sewell parts online has them!!

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2007/4326.html
Old 02-11-12, 04:35 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the grommets on the floor missing? It's unclear from OP's post. If those are missing (i.e. they've been pushed through or come out), i'm not sure how to secure the mat.

ds
Old 02-11-12, 06:58 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexsam
Have an interesting dilemma and, absent a similar thread that an expert here will no doubt embarrass me by locating,

I discovered small, finger-sized holes which led to a void where -- by feel -- I think I discovered the posts sort of just rolling around a lower subfloor. And entirely impossible to retrieve.
First, I like the way you write. Very funny. And I'd definitely whack you with a "Let Me Google That For You" if I could!

But to the point -- people, I think the OP understands about the plastic posts, but is saying that they broke off, are in the hole, are impossible to retrieve. So how do you put in new posts if the hole is obstructed with the old post that has broken off?

Decent question. If that is the question. Hey, OP, how about some more details?
Old 02-11-12, 07:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Johnny... If your premise regarding the OP's question is correct, then it seems to me a pair of needle nosed pliers would work IF the shaft is still within the carpet's grommet opening. However, if the piece has broken off and is no longer in the grommet, while not impossible to retrieve, certainly not worth the effort of pulling up the carpet from the door sill, IMO.
Old 02-11-12, 11:42 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Google: retriever claw

Old 02-11-12, 12:05 PM
Lexsam
Driver School Candidate

Default Whoh.. you folks know everything!

I am humbled... OP here. Wow, suggestions and solutions received and a Pepsi to all! (Well, unless in your taste test you selected Coke...) Or, you know, something more palatable. Beer for example. Or a fine wine suitable of the class of car you drive. But, seriously, many thanks and when this micro-issue is solved -- and if the link is not buried beyond retrieval -- will follow up later!

You folks are very cool and very informed. (Well, duh, your purchase decisions are suggestive of that!) My thanks! (And stay tuned for more silly questions from Lexsam... I'm quite new to this class and complexity of a car.)

Last edited by Lexsam; 02-11-12 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Because I mispelled a single-syllable word. ~:-/
Old 02-11-12, 12:16 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

That's what this forum is all about, sharing information and helping each other out, not to mention sharing experiences, both good and bad. This is a great group of folks.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-11-12, 03:36 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Welcome
Hope your enjoy your stay.

Quick Reply: I joined to solve this mystery