SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ordered my air suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-12, 01:13 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Steve I had a raw aluminum 5 gallon but the one show is a 4 gallon just like yours. The difference is less play time on it. There is not much space to work with so the tank is gonna sit in the middle no matter what. The compressors you can either place them in front of the tank of behind it. I just relocated mines to the side pockets which is another option. Take your time on the wiring and try to keep the wiring neat as possible. I had to remove the tool tray and all the wiring is located there. Where the spare tire well is, there is a rubber grommet which i removed and used to run the air lines and the sensor lines thru. You can use that or find a different way to run the lines.
Old 03-14-12, 01:38 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
Steve I had a raw aluminum 5 gallon but the one show is a 4 gallon just like yours. The difference is less play time on it. There is not much space to work with so the tank is gonna sit in the middle no matter what. The compressors you can either place them in front of the tank of behind it. I just relocated mines to the side pockets which is another option. Take your time on the wiring and try to keep the wiring neat as possible. I had to remove the tool tray and all the wiring is located there. Where the spare tire well is, there is a rubber grommet which i removed and used to run the air lines and the sensor lines thru. You can use that or find a different way to run the lines.
Must be your fabulous trunk trim that make the tank look bigger than mine.
I have mine with the compressors on the eXo behind so that the roof blind just clears them. Have done the same as you and removed the tool tray and made a false floor.
There is also a grommet either side at the back where the tool tray was so I am going to try and take the airlines and sensor wires out through them, two each side. Sitting the VU4 on the tank at the front with the eXo mount and running the lines straight down through the false floor and out through the grommets. Also will have the wiring from the ECU under the floor although as it is on the eXo some of it will show, but will have the fuses and solenoid out of sight.
I am hoping to run the tank drain down through the floor and have it stick through the grommet you mentioned so that I can drain it straight onto the road.
Does this seem ok to you?

Best regards
Steve
Old 03-14-12, 02:03 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Steve,

That seems fine. What i would advise when you build your trunk out is to have it easily accessible for any type of trouble shooting without having to rip everything out to check any problems. Keeping everything clean is the key. As for the tank drain are you talking about the water traps?
Old 03-15-12, 01:20 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Steve,

That seems fine. What i would advise when you build your trunk out is to have it easily accessible for any type of trouble shooting without having to rip everything out to check any problems. Keeping everything clean is the key. As for the tank drain are you talking about the water traps?
Hi Will

Thanks for the info, hopefully the way I am planning it, I will be able to lift the front of the new floor up as though it is hinged at the back to get to everything. The space where the tool tray was and the wheel well should be room for pipes, wire etc to be slack enough to lift it at an angle.
Is your floor fixed down or does it just sit in place and not vibrate when the compressors are running?

Zack has supplied fittings and 1/4 inch hose to have the tank drain run remotely. He said it is needed because water will build up in the tank over time. There will be room under the traps to put a container to collect the water when I drain them, but the bottom of the tank will be too close to the floor to drain it without a remote drain.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120303-00175.jpg  
Old 03-21-12, 07:39 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steve
hows that car coming along.
Old 03-22-12, 12:34 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by bacardi
steve
hows that car coming along.
Hi Gene

All going to plan at the moment.
Made a new floor to sit the tank and compressors on. Finished the air management in the trunk. Run the main power cable to the engine compartment and the touchpad control cable to the centre consul.
Stripped out all the trunk lining ready to remove the shocks. Will be doing that this weekend and running the rest of the wiring. Got to hook up a cable to the cigarette lighter and another to the lights and that is it.
The hardest bit will be fitting the sensors for the 'E' level system and running the air lines and cables under the car to each corner, but can't set up the sensors until I have the bags in place.
Still waiting on the bottom brackets from Zack at Universal Air, but he has them now so as soon as they have been adapted they should be on there way with the rest of the kit for the Megans.
Couple of pictures of how the trunk looks now with it all in place.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120317-00219.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120317-00217.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120317-00222.jpg  
Old 03-22-12, 01:40 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve thats one hell of a job to do wow. Can't wait to see it all finished. Startting to look real nice.
gene

Last edited by bacardi; 03-22-12 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-22-12, 03:04 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by bacardi
Steve thats one hell of a job to do wow. Can't wait to see it all finished. Startting to look real nice.
gene
Thanks Gene
I will never get it to look like IcenPink's, but it will be as sweet as I can make it.
Basically I want it to do it's job and look tidy.
More pictures to follow as I complete it.

Best regards

Steve
Old 03-23-12, 08:04 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Steve,

This is how I originally had my set up. I used the factory carpet to cover the MDF board and then mounted the tank and compressors on top. Looks very good so far. Dont worry about looks for now. Functionality first and then you can dress it up later. Make sure the compressors dont touch the cargo liner as they will get very hot . cant wait to see more updates.

Will
Old 03-23-12, 12:03 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Steve,

This is how I originally had my set up. I used the factory carpet to cover the MDF board and then mounted the tank and compressors on top. Looks very good so far. Dont worry about looks for now. Functionality first and then you can dress it up later. Make sure the compressors dont touch the cargo liner as they will get very hot . cant wait to see more updates.

Will
Thanks for your comments Will.
I have made the MDF floor the exact shape of the carpet and when I have finished running everything I intend to put it back in place and make neater holes for the cables and pipes to run through.
Hope to run the pipes and cables to the four corners this weekend and get everything ready for when the Megan brackets arrive.

Compressors clear the cargo liner/blind by about 3/4 inch, do you think that will be enough?

Best regards
Steve
Old 03-23-12, 12:34 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Yes as long as they don't physically touch you will be fine. Its gets pretty hot so it might melt the liner if it touches. I cant wait to see you get everything together.
Old 03-24-12, 12:56 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Ran the airlines and sensor cables to all four corners today.

Managed to use a couple of spare fuel line clips to take the pipes and cables over the rear axle. Ran them down the sides just inside the lip of the sills using the 'P' clips supplied in the kit.
Got to put the grommets back where the pipes and cables run through the hole into the trunk yet. Will do that when it is finally finished.
Fitted the tank drain to the grommet in the bottom of the spare wheel well.

Removed the Megans ready to adapt them when the parts arrive from Zack@Universial Air.
Picture shows how they will look when I get the parts.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120324-00237.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120324-00240.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120324-00241.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120324-00238.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-8b.jpg  

Old 03-24-12, 05:27 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow Steve your boot looks fantastic
Old 03-25-12, 11:30 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Wow Steve your boot looks fantastic
Thanks Chris
Getting impatient now waiting on the other parts so that I can finish it.
The hardest part will be positioning the height sensors and I can't do that until the converted Megans are in place with the air bags fitted. Everything else is done now.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-09-12, 12:16 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Default Next stage

Well, I received the rest of the parts from Zack, built the shocks and have them in place and working now.
Just got the height sensors to fit now, but they could take a while, hardest part of the job.

Few more pictures of the install.

1. Front shock
2 and 3. Rear shock showing the air bag at the bottom.
4. Tank and compressors at the back of the car, connected temporary to test it all.
5. That's pretty low.

Best regards
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120409-00344.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120409-00333.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120409-00331.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120409-00328.jpg   Ordered my air suspension!-img-20120407-00324.jpg  

Quick Reply: Ordered my air suspension!