SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Closing Audio System Door with Casette Input Adapter

Old 01-03-12, 06:48 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Closing Audio System Door with Casette Input Adapter

Hello,

I am currently using an audio cassette auxiliary input adapter for streaming music from an iPod to the 2002 SC430. I would previously keep the audio system door open, but I have recently noticed that I can actually close the door and still be able to run the auxiliary cable out from the corner of the closed audio system door. This way I can use the steering wheel controls for most of the features I need while selecting songs from the iPod directly.

I am wondering how sturdy the audio system door is, and if closing the door over the cable could damage the audio system door mechanism. I am also concerned that the cassette adapter may get abruptly ejected into the closed audio system door, potentially causing a jam of the door? I am just brainstorming here...

Also, if anyone has any better ideas on how to connect an iPod to a 2002 SC430 please let me know. The reason I am using the cassette input is because it is an inexpensive method which seems to work decently.

Please share your thoughts, thanks.
Old 01-03-12, 07:35 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Also, I decided not to use an FM transmitter since that would require the car antenna to always be up when in use. I think the antenna dates the car to the mid 90s, so I try to avoid having it out
Old 01-03-12, 07:50 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cassette adaptors sound pretty horrible in my opinion. I'd recommend a Vais SLU...

http://www.vaistech.com/dev/slu.php
Old 01-03-12, 02:15 PM
jomo3640
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a cassette adaptor with the door closed, and have not had a problem - the casette is 100 times better than the FM transmitter, and while it may not equal a VAIS unit - it did only cost $10
Old 01-04-12, 04:09 AM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm another that will recommend the Vais SLU. Excellent product. Very easy to install with no cutting or splicing.

On your concern about the cassette ejecting while the door is closed, I don't think you have to worry about that. The system was made knowing the parts that are present and it allows the door to close with a tape in the deck. The only worry might be the cord pushing the eject button, but I think there's plenty of clearance between the door and the face of the deck that this shouldn't be an issue.

ds
Old 01-04-12, 08:30 AM
802lexus
Rookie

Question about the SLU system. Will it work with factory nav,the mark Levinson system and steering wheel control?
Old 01-04-12, 09:41 AM
Yes

On an '02, it basically adds an RCA audio jack. You can use your volume control on the steering wheel. But to control the ipod, you either have to mount your ipod or a remote. Personally, I mounted mine with a Kuda mount. It looks OEM and is in a good location.

Also, if you get the Vais SLU, I'd recommend using an Apple A/V cable rather than the cable that comes with it. You can run the USB connection to the center console and use a cigarette lighter/USB charger to charge your ipod while you drive. The cable that comes with the SLU will not charge your ipod.

Here's how the Kuda mount looks.

Old 01-04-12, 10:44 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
On an '02, it basically adds an RCA audio jack. You can use your volume control on the steering wheel.
I thought that using a Vais on an '02 didn't allow steering wheel controls. Is it only the volume controls that work after installing it?
Old 01-04-12, 10:46 AM
Yes

Volume control works fine. For everything else, you have to use the ipod or a remote.
Old 01-05-12, 01:44 PM
jasone36
Instructor

In my humble opinion, I do not think an auxiliary input without song controls is worth almost $300. I could see paying around $50 for this feature, but not nearly $300.

While Liquid SC's Kuda Mount installation certainly looks neat and professional, I am concerned the Kuda Mount would invite a car break-in, especially if you park your car in cities. Prospective thieves would guess that you have some interesting electronics tucked away in your glove compartment, even if the iPod is not sitting in the Kuda mount when the car is parked.

I also feel that the location where Liquid SC installed the Kuda mount is a little bit of a reach from the driver seat for most people, especially if you are listening to audio books and require constant rewinding and reaching for the iPod is necessary.

Maybe I'm just convincing myself that my inexpensive solution still makes sense in light of these more professional options...
Old 01-05-12, 01:51 PM
Yes

It's in a perfect location for me. But I'm tall, so your results may vary. I used to leave my ipod in the car with no break-ins. Now I use my iphone and take it with me. With the mount being black on a black interior, it's not very conspicuous.

I tried a cassette adaptor before the Vais and it didn't sound very good in my opinion. But if you're happy with it, that's what matters.
Old 01-05-12, 02:00 PM
westxype
Rookie

I actually use both of them. I'm not quite sure what unit is installed in the car but it came with the iPod hookup when I purchased the car used. The iPod plays through the Aux input but does not allow me to skip tracks without unplugging my iPhone. It does charge the iPod tho. I also use the cassete auxillary input and it sounds the same to me. My buddy told me the trick was turn your iPhone volume 3 clicks from the the maximum. I also have the EQ balance turned to acoustic. It sounds just as good as the Aux input.

Here's a pic of the install. I ran cassete input wire right under the lower console and fished it out of the ash tray clip inside the lower console. Removing the ashtray is ideal since I don't use it anyway. Both doors close and functional like normal. Very discrete and clean looking too. For 15 bucks very satisfied.

Old 01-05-12, 02:33 PM
jasone36
Instructor

westxype, your setup looks like the ideal scenario.

How were you able to remove the lower wood console to fish the cable to the ashtray area? If you followed any specific instructions please let me know, as I would be looking to accomplish the same thing.

Thank you.
Old 12-08-15, 01:25 PM
1983canes
Driver School Candidate

Default bass boost?

I have added Bluetooth using cassette adaptor and am finding that the bass is lacking. Have any of you found a way to boost bass? I am using a Samsung Galaxy note 4. Is it a function of the phone or the cassette adaptor?