SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Early Plug Change...Is it Worth It? Review of NGK Laser Iridium

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-11, 12:38 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Early Plug Change...Is it Worth It? Review of NGK Laser Iridium

Many times we CL members have discussed changing plugs early. I was tempted on my past SC...the 2002 with 29k miles on it, but never did because I was told it wouldn't make any difference.

In the past 15 years I've owned a lot of sports cars and high performance luxury cars that don't get driven every day, and have changed the plugs on most of them early to whatever the next step up is for those plugs. In the old days, NGK would be upgraded to platinum, and so on and so forth. Plugs have really evolved and the ones that are OE in our SC's are fine plugs (NGK and Denso are the leaders), I was interested to see if there is anything better...and is it worth it to do it???

Also...
I have always felt that because of my short trips and low speeds I do drive my cars when I do take them out, that the carbon buildup seems to be more on the plugs when I pull them (even early). This was true on my past 3-4 cars that I pulled plugs early on: 300ZX, Rx-7, G35, FX35, etc etc. All were pulled way before their time and needed to be. I did notice difference on those, but for some reason I've always believed the gospel on our recommended maintenance on the SC not to mess with them.

So, with this car, I had it in a great shop this week so I thought I would go ahead and change the plugs out and see if I can feel any difference.

Sure enough-I was right on these plugs...they were FILTHY! Loads of carbon buildup!!!

I'll admit, I seemed to have a hesitation at about 3-4k when I would stomp on the car in manual mode that is gone now! I don't know if it was in my head (or in my foot) but it's gone now.

I bought the NGK Laser Iridium plugs for about $8/each online and did not DIY, but was told that it is pretty easy, just remove the airbox and get a flex ratchet, magnetic plug remover and required sockets. The installer was already draining all the fluids and installing bulbs, so I thought I would do it

Summary: IMO the plugs did make a difference! The car is more responsive over all, specifically better throttle response, faster acceleration, less or no hesitation, quicker start (could be battery too).

Many of us have settled for the dealer line that "these plugs will last you till 120k" and I do believe they will, however why not have better, new to ensure the optimum performance? Technically this is no different than changing fluid based on color or filters based on dirt. The timelines/parameters for me have always been off, since I only put 1k-2k miles per year on my fun cars.

If anyone is contemplating doing this, you can DIY and the plugs themselves cost about $60-$70 online. PM me for more details if you need help. Here is some of the interesting info I pulled on them...and a good justification to change your plugs if you have a garage queen or take short trips a lot and don't put a lot of miles on your car:

Causes of Carbon Fouling:
Continuous low speed driving and/or short trips
Spark plug heat range too cold
Air-fuel mixture too rich
Reduced compression and oil usage due to worn piston rings / cylinder walls
Over-retarded ignition timing
Ignition system deterioration

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...2.asp?mode=nml
Old 12-10-11, 08:09 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ain't those iridium plugs lasting only 30k miles? They have a very thin 0.2 mm tip.
Old 12-11-11, 08:47 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car wants to come live in your garage too. ;/
Old 12-11-11, 02:45 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I too have always changed my spark plugs early on every vehicle I have ever owned. I typically change them just over the half way mark of the manufacturer mileage recommendation, or about 5,000 to 10,000 miles over this half way mark. On the second change, I usually change the the spark plug wires to further ensure smooth acceleration, idling, etc. The reason I change the spark plug wires is because I've experienced them going bad in another vehicle that caused me to go through extensive diagnosis that eventually lead to this conclusion. A true nightmare way back when that made me once bitten, twice shy, regarding spark plug wires.

In summary, replacing plugs and wires is a small price to pay to help ensure your engine is running smoothly and efficiently.

Last edited by sixonemale; 12-12-11 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 06:01 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

SCdroptop.

How long did it take you to change the plugs. i had heard that for one plug you have remove the inner fender cover on one side can you confirm that or just add the sequence that you did to change them, I sort of remember a member saying the dealership wanted notrh of 200.00 just for labor
Old 12-11-11, 07:16 PM
scdroptop

Looked harder than i thought...I aborted when my new fav shop only wanted $125 to install.... I said why not? He did the antiseize compound and made sure gap was ok and properly removed coil packs, etc. I would have spent $30 in tools to install and I got a deal on both the plugs as well as labor so since it was there getting a major service anyway, I went for it!
Old 12-11-11, 07:21 PM
scdroptop

I should note that today my sc was just begging to be pushed hard... No hesitation in th upper bands, feels different for sure!!!! Well worth it!!!

I'm going for headers next
Old 12-12-11, 04:54 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
SCdroptop.

How long did it take you to change the plugs. i had heard that for one plug you have remove the inner fender cover on one side can you confirm that or just add the sequence that you did to change them, I sort of remember a member saying the dealership wanted notrh of 200.00 just for labor
I changed the plugs in my '02 SC430 and had to remove the battery and battery pan to get to the last plug on that side. Fender cover was not an issue. Other then that, it was pretty easy. If you're handy with a wrench, you shouldn't hesitate to do this maintenance.
Old 12-12-11, 05:08 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, the first sentence of this thread sums it up. Changing plugs early makes no difference. That is to say if you are not having other problems with the engine. A spark plug is a very simple device. It does nothing more than initiate a chemical reaction. Once it does that it has no effect on the combustion that takes place. Plugs will not add power or make an engine run smoother if there is no other problem associated with the engine. If you are getting fouled plugs early you should be looking for the cause. Not just changing the plugs. The last two engines I did (2000 ES and 2000 RX) I did at 102K and 107K respectively. The plugs looked great and there was no difference in the performance of the engine. Just as I would have expected. If you are getting a spark the system is working. If not, your check engine light should have come on and told you what cylinder is not firing. If your car feels different after changing the plugs, you have other issues. (With the car of course)
I have heard many stories about how one brand of plug makes a difference in the power or smoothness and it is all marketing. As long as the plug ignites the fuel that is all that matters. But after growing up in the 60s, "If it feels good, do it."
Old 12-12-11, 12:36 PM
scdroptop

iolmaster you didn't read the rest of my post...certainly nothing after the first sentence, lol. that was six years ago and another car. New car, 2011 and plugs changed. Read on...difference is noticed. And fairly significant change in throttle response, no hesitation whatsoever and other "perks" to the change I've noticed.

Read the part from NGK website about short trips and lower mileage cars that don't get used too much getting more rapid carbon buildup due to less of the plug burning and staying hot as long. Your plugs on your 00 ES and RX at 102 and 107k were right on time and based on the mileage they were driven probably every day.
Old 12-12-11, 01:44 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Well, the first sentence of this thread sums it up. Changing plugs early makes no difference. That is to say if you are not having other problems with the engine. A spark plug is a very simple device. It does nothing more than initiate a chemical reaction. Once it does that it has no effect on the combustion that takes place. Plugs will not add power or make an engine run smoother if there is no other problem associated with the engine. If you are getting fouled plugs early you should be looking for the cause. Not just changing the plugs. The last two engines I did (2000 ES and 2000 RX) I did at 102K and 107K respectively. The plugs looked great and there was no difference in the performance of the engine. Just as I would have expected. If you are getting a spark the system is working. If not, your check engine light should have come on and told you what cylinder is not firing. If your car feels different after changing the plugs, you have other issues. (With the car of course)
I have heard many stories about how one brand of plug makes a difference in the power or smoothness and it is all marketing. As long as the plug ignites the fuel that is all that matters. But after growing up in the 60s, "If it feels good, do it."

Respectfully disagree - plugs can make a difference in the way engine feels and performs. Plugs initiate the combustion of air fuel with a spark, but all sparks are not the same. The the power, size, and shape of the spark is affected by multiple factors - how that plug was engineered, its materials, and also its condition. A strong properly sized and shaped spark is critical to producing full, fast and robust combustion of the air fuel mixture in the piston chamber. Wrong plug type, or right type but too hot or cold range plug, or worn out or dirty will negatively affect performance.

Replacing modern plugs at 35 k maybe overkill but OP says plugs inspected and they looked like the needed replace - good enough for me...inspection is the key test.
Old 12-12-11, 04:03 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
Respectfully disagree - plugs can make a difference in the way engine feels and performs. Plugs initiate the combustion of air fuel with a spark, but all sparks are not the same. The the power, size, and shape of the spark is affected by multiple factors - how that plug was engineered, its materials, and also its condition. A strong properly sized and shaped spark is critical to producing full, fast and robust combustion of the air fuel mixture in the piston chamber. Wrong plug type, or right type but too hot or cold range plug, or worn out or dirty will negatively affect performance.

Replacing modern plugs at 35 k maybe overkill but OP says plugs inspected and they looked like the needed replace - good enough for me...inspection is the key test.
I also respectfully disagree. It does not matter what shape or anything else as long as it initiates the chemical reaction. the type of spark has nothing to do with how fast or robust the combustion is. The spark just starts an exothermic continuous reaction.
Old 12-12-11, 05:43 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

iolmaster is right about the spark. It is what it is - a spark to ignite. Whatever you use - a match stick or a big torch - you ignite your stove just the same.

However, there is another parameter about automobile spark plugs. It is the temperature rating - cold or hot, so to speak. The correct rated plugs need to be used for the specific engine for maximal performance and efficiency.
Old 12-12-11, 05:55 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i recently replaced my plugs at 50k in my 05 and glad i did. They looked well worn. Car accelerates alot better but of course I also put on Megan test pipe/cat back exhaust, cleaned the airbox, MAFS, and butterfly valve.
Old 12-12-11, 06:07 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by jzwu
iolmaster is right about the spark. It is what it is - a spark to ignite. Whatever you use - a match stick or a big torch - you ignite your stove just the same.

However, there is another parameter about automobile spark plugs. It is the temperature rating - cold or hot, so to speak. The correct rated plugs need to be used for the specific engine for maximal performance and efficiency.
Agreed, but as long as you are using the correct plug it does not matter what shape, etc, the spark has as long as it sparks. The spark has nothing to do with the amount of energy obtained from the fuel air mixture. Once it begins to burn it is self sustaining. The spark plug has done it's job.

Quick Reply: Early Plug Change...Is it Worth It? Review of NGK Laser Iridium