SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How many of you drive your SC in the snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 05:19 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also in N. Va. I tried it by accident once last winter (i didn't notice it started to snow at the office). Still had summer tires on - drifted down a hill, across a red light and to the corner of the block and didn't hit anything! So this time it will be parked in the garage.
Old 12-07-11, 06:16 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've got an old set of Blizzak LM25s mounted on 16 inch Tire Rack rims that I used on my SC for a couple of winters. The Blizzaks grip pretty well on snowy ground and I have driven almost normally in two inches of accumulation. But I got those from another SC430 owner who had sold his SC and I got the set super cheap.

The big test this winter would be a new set of Hankook Winter Icept Evo 310s that I just had installed on my RL. They're cheaper than Bridgestone Blizzak tires and are actually V rated. Not yet put to the test in the snow but I have high expectations based on some reviews I read, mainly from users in Europe.
Old 12-07-11, 06:52 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking at snow tires as well. any issue going with 16" wheel/snow tire package on tire rack? appears to be cheaper that getting 18" snow tires alone then having to pay to mount and balance twice a year.
Old 12-08-11, 11:11 AM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Harold57
Like SCDROPTOP, I too drive in the northern wastelands of Dallas. I do drive in the snow when we get it here, but it is extremely rare when there are piles of snow around here and we really don't have any steep hills. I can tell that the SC430 doesn't perform near as well as other cars that I've owned in the past in snow but it is surviveable. You just have to be very careful and patient.
Do you use snow tires? Many people tell me their rear wheel drive cars suck in the snow, but I can just fly past them with the Blizzaks. I can't imagine the Pilot Sports I have could ever get through any of the snow. I think our cars our better than most coupes in the snow, because they have the ECT Snow feature (I know it is available on many but..) it has a pretty good sized V8, and it is a much heavier coupe than most.
Old 12-08-11, 06:16 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven my '02 year-around since I bought it new. I swap to my 19" Rays G35 wheels with Blizzaks, raise my coilovers 1/2", and unless there's a huge accumulation of snow I can drive through it all with no worries
Old 12-08-11, 06:48 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by intdiamond
I've driven my '02 year-around since I bought it new. I swap to my 19" Rays G35 wheels with Blizzaks, raise my coilovers 1/2", and unless there's a huge accumulation of snow I can drive through it all with no worries
That's awesome that you've had it new since 02! How many miles? I'm glad I'm not the only one who attempts to drive in all this. Trucks have harder times than our cars in the snow.
Old 12-08-11, 07:10 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by deathstar
looking at snow tires as well. any issue going with 16" wheel/snow tire package on tire rack? appears to be cheaper that getting 18" snow tires alone then having to pay to mount and balance twice a year.
The 16 inch rims and Blizzaks that I have fit just fine. It is a tire rack recommended combo. No issues clearing calipers etc. But because they are either 7 or 7.5 inch width, the car just does not look that good with them. OEM's are 18x8. But it handles just fine in snow.
Old 12-09-11, 08:06 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My SC has been garaged from late fall to early spring every year for ten years. The underside looks virtually new.

After it snows and the town plows and salts/sands, this is what my road to civilization looks like. This is no place for my SC.
Attached Thumbnails How many of you drive your SC in the snow?-photo3.jpg  
Old 12-09-11, 08:20 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I grew up in Wisconsin driving huge rear wheel drive boats (66 Sedan DeVille, and so on) in Wisconsin winters. They were tougher than the SC (which is why we all used studded tires on the rear before they were banned). SC compares to my 82 Supra. Handles great in recovering from skids due to the excellent 'polar' moment of inertia (pun really not intended), but questionable traction with the stock tires when the fluffy stuff is there before the plows come through. Just gotta be smart. Anybody ever strap on temporary traction devices on the rear tread when they get caught in snow ('chains' or the like)? Do they make 'em to fit those wide tires?
Old 12-09-11, 08:40 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by husker741
That's awesome that you've had it new since 02! How many miles? I'm glad I'm not the only one who attempts to drive in all this. Trucks have harder times than our cars in the snow.
42K I don't drive much
Old 12-11-11, 06:32 PM
husker741
Pole Position

My 02 just eclipsed 110,000 miles today!
Old 12-12-11, 04:26 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
My SC has been garaged from late fall to early spring every year for ten years. The underside looks virtually new.

After it snows and the town plows and salts/sands, this is what my road to civilization looks like. This is no place for my SC.

Agree! I'm in Quebec... Mine will be garage 'till March. My SC's underside (and engine compartment) looks virtually new too, and I want to keep it that way.

NO SALT FOR MINE!
Old 12-12-11, 05:17 PM
deathstar
Driver

Originally Posted by OBP
The 16 inch rims and Blizzaks that I have fit just fine. It is a tire rack recommended combo. No issues clearing calipers etc. But because they are either 7 or 7.5 inch width, the car just does not look that good with them. OEM's are 18x8. But it handles just fine in snow.
yeah, i was worried about the look as well, ended up going with 17x7.5 Drag DR19's in gold from discount tire direct, only a couple hundred more, hopefully a good comprimise.
Old 12-12-11, 05:27 PM
DubbStep
Pole Position

Bridgestone Blizzaks A+++ I love these tires, I always use them on my STI, I live in the DMV, but travel to Nyc all the time, never had goodluck with a rwd car in the snow, but never had a problem with my sti.
Old 12-13-11, 09:59 PM
elvis1955
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by husker741
I just got my Bridgestone Blizzaks put on Friday, right before we got about 6 inches of snow. I know some of you will think I'm crazy for not storing it, but I cannot believe how well it handles in the snow!
So how many of you actually live and drive in a snowy climate with your SC430?
seattle 03 silver bullet. will be trying the snow/ black ice 1st time this winter. did just buy an old 98 ford explorer 4wd as backup. this forum's prev. posts on winter driving scared me into it.

Quick Reply: How many of you drive your SC in the snow?