SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any recent/new Luxlink owners have terrible battery life? Two days and car dead?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 03:55 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Buddy. Another early Christmas gift for Ebony!

Tender Plus is the way to go.
Old 12-07-11, 04:49 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Ebony

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Thanks Buddy. Another early Christmas gift for Ebony!

Tender Plus is the way to go.

When I die I hope to come back as your car. You really do know how to care for your baby. My car is sitting in the garage for the winter I now am up 6530 miles I have never flushed or changed any fluids other then the engine oil and filter.and coolant Thats it I believe if it aiint broke dont fix it. I will how ever do the trans and brake fluid this spring its time dont you think. I want to take it to Lexus I will just have to pay alot more the service

Buddy.
Old 12-07-11, 05:30 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
When I die I hope to come back as your car. You really do know how to care for your baby. My car is sitting in the garage for the winter I now am up 6530 miles I have never flushed or changed any fluids other then the engine oil and filter.and coolant Thats it I believe if it aiint broke dont fix it. I will how ever do the trans and brake fluid this spring its time dont you think. I want to take it to Lexus I will just have to pay alot more the service

Buddy.
Your 05' only got 6530 miles?
Old 12-07-11, 05:59 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Where the fun in that? One of the best parts of our cars, is driving them!
Old 12-07-11, 07:07 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Default low milage

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I do only in good weather. No rain or snow etc . Milage is low but I do use it. I work six days a week one day off and if weather is good do i drive the sc430 or do i ride one of my 2 bikes hard choice . Thats why milage is low. I love tinkering with it cleaning polishing mod it. its all good.

You have to have time in order to drive. I am in retail so I park and stay inside all day 12 hour days
so I really enjoy owning the car as much as driving it . Yes its a garage queen paid for and its all mine
Old 12-07-11, 10:12 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Bob-You and I have the advantage that most of the time our weather allows us to go topdown. I can't imagine still living in Chicago with my baby. I am now spoiled and am now bothered that it was too cold to go topdown today-going all the way down to 67 degrees. (lol)
Old 12-08-11, 09:02 AM
scdroptop

Update:

Car started this morning just fine. 13.5 draw on alternator. Battery just fine

Ruled out Luxlink...

.080 Draw on amp meter with car off, luxlink installed/wired and everything off, hinge switch closed/off
.041 draw on amp meter with lux link unplugged/uninstalled, which is still questionably high

According to both the dealer and the installer (who is lexus certified master tech), lexus standards are usually under 50 and the SC draws a little more to start with because of the advanced electronics, top motors, etc and SHOULD be no more than 30-50 sleeping. I'm at 80 with the luxlink installed. Something is causing that extra draw.

He is next going to test the radio/lights, etc. etc.

I wish I could get some readings from some of you, but no one has responded to my post on the other thread.
Old 12-08-11, 09:47 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I will be back tomorrow. I will do it when I hit the garage, late Friday. Sorry man!
Old 12-08-11, 10:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Reminds me, how about adding grounding wires to our car to make sure that we are not jeopardizing the charging system.

My Maxima was well known for lack of sufficient grounding which led to alternator and battery failures. I have installed a ground kit (3 pcs) and knock on wood no issues.

Perhaps we need to look at a grounding kit for the SC?

I have changed my battery lately and I think it will not hurt if we do add grounding.

Feedback appreciated.
Old 12-08-11, 10:06 AM
scdroptop

I used to do grounding kits on my old rx-7's all the time. Not a bad idea! I'll ask!
Old 12-08-11, 01:03 PM
scdroptop

Installer is a ocd perfectionist like me...he doesn't believe in band aids for fixes...wants to fix it right! LOL

Going on three days tomorrow...

We have ruled out Luxlink. With the help of one or two members, two dealers advice as well as other internet research we know that my car wtih LuxLink NOT hooked up is drawing what it should (under 50 milliamps).

With the VaisTech iPod system, LED tails, DRL's and other things, perhaps my car is a little higher than other bone stock SC's. Nonetheless, the LuxLink has pushed me over the draw that apparently THIS Lexus OEM battery or perhaps others can handle. Alternator charging at 13.6 which is perfect. Battery kept it's full charge from last night.

We are going to let the car sleep for the rest of tonight, take one more test tomorrow and determine one of the following solutions:

1) Buy a battery tender, stick with current Lexus OEM new battery that is charging fine.
2) Replace with the mack-daddy Yellow or Red top Optima

I will report tomorrow. HID fog lights, 168 bulbs installed as well while it's there along with NGK Laser Iridium Plugs and Coolant, Transmission, Rear Diff and Brake fluids flushed and filled! Can't wait to get her back!!!

Again, if anyone can help out by putting an amp meter on their car and measure the amps with nothing on after it's sat for a while, I would truly appreciate it! Thanks!
Old 12-08-11, 03:37 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to make this more confusing, but when I had a similar issue they did two things - first, as I mentioned before I had a bad mobile guardian which they removed (not applicable to you). Second, we installed a Durling Angel alternator, similar to what is used in the LX. It is much better at charging at non-freeway speeds. if you have a lot of stop-and-go commuting it could be an option. Like you, there's no way I'm plugging my car in every night unless it's electric!
Old 12-09-11, 01:33 PM
scdroptop

Update: Car slept peacefully in nice garage all night. Nothing on of course, 38 milliamps without LL installed/wired. Within Spec. The end result of our study is that my car (although on the higher side) is within factory spec (under 50 milliamps) for draw on the battery WITHOUT the luxlink installed.

Now...with LL installed, I'm pushing 80 milliamps, which is a lot for the weak Lexus OEM Battery. Perhaps I got a dud from the dealer, perhaps that's why it was so cheap, IDK. I'm tired of chasing this, so it was time to move to an OPTIMA!!! Bought a yellow top 34/78 model # today and they retrofitted the OEM battery tray to fit and cover.

Looks/fits great. Charging now and overnight there. In the process, we have done all fluids (Tran/Diff/Cool/Brake), new NGK Laser Iridium Plugs AND I got the HID ballasts for the H3 fog lights and the HID ballast/bulbs for the 9005 DRL's as well as some cool 68-SMD 168 bulbs on the side of our headlights (02-05 only). Hopefully she'll be lit up nice, fire up nice and charge better now when I get her back! Not anticipating a night and day difference on performance with the plugs but again in my experience cars that sit longer tend not to have more corrosion on the plugs than cars that have good, consistent burns on their plugs. So, what the heck? Might as well upgrade!
Old 12-09-11, 01:59 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

HI Droptop

What was involved in the retro fit for the optima battery . Pics and discription might be good write up. I have been thinking in spite of the fact I am 5 years into the battery in my car I might consider this before I go bad .
I would like to know what it set you back for the battery. Did you buy it local ? I heard that the post positive and negitive were differnt positions then our OEM battery

Buddy
Old 12-10-11, 12:23 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by mrblister
HI Droptop

What was involved in the retro fit for the optima battery . Pics and discription might be good write up. I have been thinking in spite of the fact I am 5 years into the battery in my car I might consider this before I go bad .
I would like to know what it set you back for the battery. Did you buy it local ? I heard that the post positive and negitive were differnt positions then our OEM battery

Buddy
The Yellow Top Optima fit great! Model # 34/38. For garage queens the deep cycle yellow top is the way to go, not the red. I did exensive research on it. The biggest/baddest Optima battery will not fit because it's nearly 9.5" tall!!! Other than that, we could have accommodated the 13" length on the modified tray! That bad boy had 1000 CCA and 150 reserve on it! $270 as well, but this one was much easier and about $100 less. Not much retrofitting except for trimming the battery tray to allow for more length is all. Was able to put the factor cover back on as well as the harness.

The installer trimmed the battery tray after taking it out. Then turned the yellow top around (terminals are reverse, but it's just fine) and after full installation, he didn't like the fact that the studs for the battery holder were so high, so he sawed them down about 1.5".

I will take an after picture, here is the battery tray.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
untitled.bmp (83.3 KB, 144 views)

Quick Reply: Any recent/new Luxlink owners have terrible battery life? Two days and car dead?