SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any recent/new Luxlink owners have terrible battery life? Two days and car dead?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 04:36 PM
UnSub
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest asking the install if he could disconnect the LL temporarily to see if the problem goes away. I leave my Tundra sitting for 2 or 3 weeks at a time and it starts every time. Something is drawing power when your car is off.
Old 11-16-11, 04:48 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I still say look elsewhere other then the LL. There may be a strong possibility that during the install somethhing may have happened that is causing this drain. The LL works in parallel with the key fob. So the key fob receiver that is in the car is allways active so that the key fob and lexus security system will work. The key fob transmitter triggers the door to lock or unlock and arms the alarm or disarms the alarm operates the beep that you get also the lights that flash. Once these sequences have happened there should only be a small amount of power being consumed since the system goes passive awaiting another command.
Old 11-16-11, 05:43 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back today after leaving the car parked since last Thursday morning at 5:30am. I started and opened the top from the shuttle. No issues so far (knock wood). Now if it were only self-cleaning I'd be a happy road warrior!
Old 11-17-11, 06:29 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

have you accidently dropped the top with the car off? I mess up the sequence sometimes and that happens which would worry me but so far no issues. My SC even has a 500 watt rms system that gets bumped fairly loud about 4 miles to and from work 5 times a week but almost never on the weekend other than that it really dosent get much use since we have the is250 for any shopping/trips.
We are running some battery that the dealer we bought the car put in there, i think its a duralast but Id have to check, when this dies ill probably go to a deep cycle yellow top like I have in my is250.
Old 11-17-11, 07:47 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, thanks for the diverse opinions...that's why I love CL so much!

I've started and driven her every day this week and no problem at all. I can't do it on a regular basis due to travel.

I haven't had a chance to take back to the dealer to do the load tests, etc. but I will.

I definitely do NOT feel comfortable leaving it overnight and forget about when I travel for a few days out of town! No way. I do think something is draining my battery in the car.

The two big garage queen cars (Solman and MrBlister) both have battery tenders if I understand correctly. Perhaps my installer theory is correct that although I do drive my car 2-3x per week, the distance is not enough in the long term to charge the battery fully. I never drive the car to the airport, but that's a 30 minute drive, on the highway, etc etc. Perhaps that would give it a good charge? Maybe all the LL, Vais, stereo, a/c etc are all too much of a drain for a short distance?

Vais iPod unit? I'll take it in and give you all an update. Great discussions and opinions though! Thank you all.
Old 11-18-11, 11:38 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Well, thanks for the diverse opinions...that's why I love CL so much!

I've started and driven her every day this week and no problem at all. I can't do it on a regular basis due to travel.

I haven't had a chance to take back to the dealer to do the load tests, etc. but I will.

I definitely do NOT feel comfortable leaving it overnight and forget about when I travel for a few days out of town! No way. I do think something is draining my battery in the car.

The two big garage queen cars (Solman and MrBlister) both have battery tenders if I understand correctly. Perhaps my installer theory is correct that although I do drive my car 2-3x per week, the distance is not enough in the long term to charge the battery fully. I never drive the car to the airport, but that's a 30 minute drive, on the highway, etc etc. Perhaps that would give it a good charge? Maybe all the LL, Vais, stereo, a/c etc are all too much of a drain for a short distance?

Vais iPod unit? I'll take it in and give you all an update. Great discussions and opinions though! Thank you all.
Hi drop,

I am no electrical guru by any chance; but my car also sits for weeks at a time ( no LuxLink here ) and I have no problems with the battery.

I did have a battery go dead twice due to leaving the trunk slightly ajar; I did not know that the trunk could trigger the Door Ajar light.

Now whenever I park her I always check to ensure that the Door Ajar light is off.

IMO you have something draining your system.

Good luck, hope you solve it & keep us posted,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 11-18-11, 08:19 PM
scdroptop

Jerry-your car sits for WEEKS at a time with no problems? Wow! I have never been that lucky on ANY car! Wow
Old 11-19-11, 01:52 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Jerry-your car sits for WEEKS at a time with no problems? Wow! I have never been that lucky on ANY car! Wow
Hi drop,

When I say 'weeks' I mean ( hopefully ) no more than three weeks max.

As I mentioned, I'm no electronic type, but my BMW 840 had a lot of electronics that would drain her down when sitting. Also, it has a system that if it sat for more than 30 days it would then begin to send fresh air through the car to keep it smelling nice.

I am of the opinion that these cars also draw some power ( more than my '03 Tacoma pickup would ) when sitting.

Plus I am a believer in putting around 40-50 miles on her every 3-4 weeks just to boil off the condensation water that develops in the oil, the 40-50 miles allows her to get up to temp & stay there so as to cook it off.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 11-19-11, 04:05 PM
scdroptop

Wow...I cannot believe that. Just to confirm, Jerry---you don't have a battery tender and it sits for three weeks sometimes? Unreal. Mine would be dead as a doornail. In fact my 09 Fx35 died this winter after not driving a week or so. I'm blown away!
Old 11-19-11, 07:21 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Wow...I cannot believe that. Just to confirm, Jerry---you don't have a battery tender and it sits for three weeks sometimes? Unreal. Mine would be dead as a doornail. In fact my 09 Fx35 died this winter after not driving a week or so. I'm blown away!
Hi drop,

Yup. I bought just 2 yrs ago & have put exactly 16K miles on her. The mileage has been about 50-50 city vs highway, so she does sit.

I would guess that the longest she has sat without starting is ~ 4 weeks.

Other than the two incidences of the dead battery ( both times due to the trunk not being completely closed ) she has never failed to just start right up.

Do you think your prob might be the Texas air; I've heard rumors of a lot of hot air down that way.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) About a month ago my son came over with his '96 4-Runner and we cleaned his battery posts/terminals & put the greased washers around the battery posts. He called ~ 10 days later and she wouldn't start so I went up with my pickup & started checking things. He had failed to completely tighten one terminal. I tightened it down & he has had no trouble since.
Old 11-20-11, 08:23 AM
scdroptop

Ok, so speaking of hot air, Jerry...you leave your car for weeks at a time without driving it/starting it and do not have a battery tender, right? Seems like it's a fairly regular occurance, so I'd assume you have a garage queen...yet you still manage to put 8k miles on per year...but don't drive for weeks??? Fuzzy math even with the air down here in Tx.

All kidding aside, maybe I DO need to drive it more. Maybe the quick starts and drives 3-4x per week under 3 miles each way is NOT enough to keep the battery charged?

I will check the posts...thanks for the tip.
Old 11-20-11, 09:30 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All right, so garage queens are determined by mileage? So my average 3k a year puts me in garage queen status? My SC is a daily driver, BUT never in rain! and being the winter is our rainy season, I do go weeks with driving or even starting WITHOUT a battery tender. The only time I had starting problems was when my original battery needed to be replaced. My SC has had LL on it since week one of my ownership. I don't think LL is the problem-unless its the LL install. Even my daily drive is ONLY 3 miles roundtrip, hence why I have an 02 with 35k miles. I think you have a draw coming somewhere else. Also, I think many other LL forum members would be filing the same complaint.

John
Old 11-20-11, 07:31 PM
scdroptop

I don't know if I'm more confused about what the technical definition of a garage queen is, or the problem on my car!

Thanks for trying anyway guys. I'll drive it more and see what happens. So far this week so good.

If the drain continues I'll go back to dealer first then and check the charging system and then have LL ripped out and try the other one. I didn't seem to have this problem till I added LL, so it's gotta be that.
Old 11-20-11, 08:35 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know if I'm more confused about what the technical definition of a garage queen is, or the problem on my car!

Thanks for trying anyway guys. I'll drive it more and see what happens. So far this week so good.

If the drain continues I'll go back to dealer first then and check the charging system and then have LL ripped out and try the other one. I didn't seem to have this problem till I added LL, so it's gotta be that.

I dont think you will find the luxlink the problem unless your installed did something wrong.
Old 11-20-11, 10:39 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had battery issues, couldn't leave more than three days without a battery tender. Into the dealership 4 times. Finally discovered that they "mobile guardian" (type of lojack) has a short and was draining the battery even when the car was off. Had that removed, now can sit two weeks or more without a battery tender. Given all the computers I'm not sure it would go months like my old Jag did, but certainly over two weeks. Long way of saying -- look for a short.

Quick Reply: Any recent/new Luxlink owners have terrible battery life? Two days and car dead?