SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Has anybody taken the CD player apart?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-11, 03:07 PM
fubie
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Has anybody taken the CD player apart?

The usual Error 3(and no usual fixes) sent me into the player. After disassembling it, I was able to remove the CDs by carefully lifting the dividers and pulling them out from the back. After reassembling, though, I still get Error 3 and "CD Full". I think this is because the dividers are still at the bottom and haven't been reset. I don't know how to get them back up to tell the player it's empty. It would be so nice if there were a magical reset button, or lever I could manipulate to get the thing back in normal empty position. Any ideas? Thanks mucho!
Old 11-08-11, 07:29 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

I am in the same bind. I was going to tear the CD apart and take the CD's out. However after reading this, there something that we are missing. We need information on how to re-set.

I tried the power down (unplug battery) which some members indicate cleared the error code, did not work for me.

My system is on ERROR and therefore does not want to do anything mechanical. I could get my CD's out but the same thing could happen, it will still show the code error 3.

There has to be a way.
Old 11-08-11, 07:51 AM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry if this is obvious, but I was wondering what caused the ERROR condition in the first place?
How long did you leave the battery unplugged to try to reset the ECU?

Last edited by mdfd430; 11-08-11 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 01:38 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

More than likely, the error code being generated is due to a physical problem. Maybe the tray is out of alignment, a position sensor sees the tray in the wrong position. If that's the case, no amount of power cycling is going to clear the error.

It's like getting "Paper jam" on your laser printer. Until you dig into it and find the errant piece of paper, it's going to continue to say "Paper jam", no matter how many times you turn the printer off/on.

Can you move the tray to a different position (all the way up)...and see if that makes a difference?
Old 11-08-11, 03:32 PM
mdfd430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mandyfig;6807917]I am in the same bind. I was going to tear the CD apart and take the CD's out. However after reading this, there something that we are missing. We need information on how to re-set.

I tried the power down (unplug battery) which some members indicate cleared the error code, did not work for me.

My system is on ERROR and therefore does not want to do anything mechanical. I could get my CD's out but the same thing could happen, it will still show the code error 3.

There has to be a way.

Mandyfig - I think you meant to edit your post not mine?

Yupper, sorry. Mandy

Last edited by mandyfig; 11-09-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 06:01 AM
fubie
Rookie

No, mine was unplugged and removed for at least an hour, so any electrical reset would have occurred. I agree it's mechanical. There's not really a tray as in my BMW changer: there are just dividers. I removed the CDs and jiggled any mechanical things i could see thinking something perhaps was just stuck. No change. I also tried setting the thing to shipping mode with the CD and SCAN UP buttons. It didn't go into shipping mode and also no change. Maybe when the PO put in The Best of John Denver and Eminem cds at the same time, the system couldn't handle it. I guess next step is a hammer....
Old 11-10-11, 06:41 AM
mandyfig

Did you happen to take pics while all these were out?
Old 11-14-11, 11:47 AM
fubie
Rookie

No pics yet, but I'll take them next time I take it out (next pretty day when I have some time). I'm suspicious of the whole changer going up and down, so I'm going to check that. Last time I was concentrating on removing the disks. I noticed the changer was difficult to raise and lower as if there was some damping on it, but didn't think much of it. But the changer would not go into shipping mode, which requires it to raise and lower easily. I'm at the conclusion that Error 3 is like the check engine light - it covers a lot of things, from a single disk not seated properly to more severe conditions. Basically anything mechanical. Will keep you posted on what I find. I also can't figure how it manages to change disks when the size of the machine is not much larger than a disk itself. The platter and laser must somehow move between the disks. I wish I could see it in operation. (It's not like my BMW where the player was twice the size of the disks and a selected disk just slid over to a set laser/platter.)
Old 03-21-12, 04:15 PM
mandyfig

Any progress on this DIY. I was ready to tackle this but stumped on how to remove the AC Panel, what kind of tool is referred to in the manual?
Old 03-22-12, 06:15 PM
fubie
Rookie

I haven't taken it out again since the first time. Now that winter is past though I'll get back out there. I followed instructions from other posts on removal, and don't have a manual. It didn't require any special tools, but getting the AC head out on mine was a bear because over time it had become frozen in. I ripped the faceplate off the AC unit and after fixing, it took another couple of weeks to build up the courage to try again lol. This time I used a kitchen knife to pry around the unit and loosen it up some. That helped and I got the whole unit out. What you're trying to work are 2 metal spring latches centered about 2 inches back on either side - that's all that holds it. Tug left side, then right, then left and work it out that way. After removing I lubed them so it will be easier next time.
Old 04-09-12, 10:22 AM
mandyfig

Thanks I will keep the suggestion in mind.

BTW my CD door is open as if it is waiting on ejcting a CD or waiting on a load. I can not get it to budge.