SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 taillights tint, caliper paint, and intake NEW MEMBER!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 12:31 AM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC430 taillights tint, caliper paint, and intake NEW MEMBER!!

Hey everyone. i have been following this site ever since i got my SC in october and i finally decided to become a member. my dad is a salesman at lexus, and i will never own anything different, so its great to have a site that i can come to for all my questions.. that being said, i want to do a few visual mods to my SC. its a 2002, so its a little dated, but still a looker. i have been reading about different taillight tints, so i would love to get everyone's opinion on whether to smoke them, or get rid of the amber, and just tint them red. also, i want to paint the calipers red, and get decals for them. opinions on the kind of paint and where to buy all these would be greatly appreciated. and last, i have been looking at the injen intake. i thought about this early on, and decided against it, but seeing so many people enjoying it, really makes me want it. i did read on one thread that because it isn't cold air, that it actually make the car lose power. so if you guys could help at all, please do because i would love every opinion i get. thanks!
Attached Thumbnails SC430 taillights tint, caliper paint, and intake NEW MEMBER!!-256020_2141891184585_1165351125_32668617_7408344_o.jpg  

Last edited by husker741; 08-17-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-17-11, 08:03 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I think the red tint looks much better than smoke. With smoke, you'll still see the amber. With red, the lights are solid red. It's also a much darker shade of red than stock.

You can get caliper paint at any auto parts store. I believe it's just called caliper paint. For decals, you can find them on ebay.

You don't lose power with an intake, but I don't think you gain any either. The sound makes it feel like you're going faster, especially when you have the top down. The difference is like watching a movie with only the TV speakers turned on vs. watching a movie with a good surround system. It's a more immersive driving experience.

Future mods to consider would be aftermarket wheels and coilovers or lowering springs. Wheels will make the biggest difference as far as updating the look of your car.
Old 08-17-11, 09:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by husker741
Hey everyone. i have been following this site ever since i got my SC in october and i finally decided to become a member. my dad is a salesman at lexus, and i will never own anything different, so its great to have a site that i can come to for all my questions.. that being said, i want to do a few visual mods to my SC. its a 2002, so its a little dated, but still a looker. i have been reading about different taillight tints, so i would love to get everyone's opinion on whether to smoke them, or get rid of the amber, and just tint them red. also, i want to paint the calipers red, and get decals for them. opinions on the kind of paint and where to buy all these would be greatly appreciated. and last, i have been looking at the injen intake. i thought about this early on, and decided against it, but seeing so many people enjoying it, really makes me want it. i did read on one thread that because it isn't cold air, that it actually make the car lose power. so if you guys could help at all, please do because i would love every opinion i get. thanks!
Nice pick up, care to tell us how much it cost?
Old 08-17-11, 10:44 AM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Nice pick up, care to tell us how much it cost?
im not really sure how much it cost, because i received it as a senior/graduation gift. i would guess around 17 or 18 though. like i said my dad is a salesman at lexus and he got it in on a trade in, and i sold my 1998 gs400 and they surprised me with this. and the reason i didn't go with aftermarket chromes, is because he got a steal on these rims from the lexus store. so that also may be a future project.
Old 08-17-11, 10:46 AM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
Personally, I think the red tint looks much better than smoke. With smoke, you'll still see the amber. With red, the lights are solid red. It's also a much darker shade of red than stock.

You can get caliper paint at any auto parts store. I believe it's just called caliper paint. For decals, you can find them on ebay.

You don't lose power with an intake, but I don't think you gain any either. The sound makes it feel like you're going faster, especially when you have the top down. The difference is like watching a movie with only the TV speakers turned on vs. watching a movie with a good surround system. It's a more immersive driving experience.

Future mods to consider would be aftermarket wheels and coilovers or lowering springs. Wheels will make the biggest difference as far as updating the look of your car.
Thanks that helps a lot!
Old 08-17-11, 11:35 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by husker741
im not really sure how much it cost, because i received it as a senior/graduation gift. i would guess around 17 or 18 though. like i said my dad is a salesman at lexus and he got it in on a trade in, and i sold my 1998 gs400 and they surprised me with this. and the reason i didn't go with aftermarket chromes, is because he got a steal on these rims from the lexus store. so that also may be a future project.
For an 02, it looks like in good shape, unique color, too. Your rims are fine as is, nice upgrade from the pie plates.. Maybe some spacers to bring them out a bit.

06 Tail upgrade will be good and debadge it quick.

Then just sit and relax.

Now did you graduate College or HS?

Either way you have a super Dad!

You were not a Validictorian or a Summa *** Laude or anything?

Good luck with the SC.
Old 08-17-11, 01:44 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
For an 02, it looks like in good shape, unique color, too. Your rims are fine as is, nice upgrade from the pie plates.. Maybe some spacers to bring them out a bit.

06 Tail upgrade will be good and debadge it quick.

Then just sit and relax.

Now did you graduate College or HS?

Either way you have a super Dad!

You were not a Validictorian or a Summa *** Laude or anything?

Good luck with the SC.
I graduated from HS. yes, my dad is great, and spoils me a bit
Old 08-17-11, 01:45 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Do i go with the tint thats just like a sheet, or the one that is sort of painted on?
Old 08-17-11, 01:53 PM
Yes

you can order it pre-cut to fit the lights. if you search "taillight tint sc430" on ebay, you'll find a few sellers. usually they only have smoke listed. but if you write them, they should have red too. also, i'd plan on having a tint shop install it. i watched the guy install mine and it looked like a pain in the *** to get all of the bubbles out.
Old 08-17-11, 01:59 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
you can order it pre-cut to fit the lights. if you search "taillight tint sc430" on ebay, you'll find a few sellers. usually they only have smoke listed. but if you write them, they should have red too. also, i'd plan on having a tint shop install it. i watched the guy install mine and it looked like a pain in the *** to get all of the bubbles out.
now i see on ebay that the caliper decals are fro the IS GS or ES. will those fit mine? and also, does removing the badging take any paint off or any other things, or does it just come off with ease? thanks, you've been a great help!
Old 08-17-11, 02:28 PM
Yes

they should fit. the rear calipers are smaller, so you'll only use the "L" logo. de-badging won't damage the paint. use dental floss to take it off. you'll need to polish the paint a bit afterwards to remove any ghosting.
Old 08-17-11, 02:50 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's always be my favorite exterior color for the SC. It was either the color combo you have, or the black on black
Old 08-17-11, 04:03 PM
husker741
Pole Position

weapon-r intake or injen? also, Liquid SC, do these look like the right ones? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/24-Re...#ht_3844wt_941
quantity of 2 or 1? and one more thing... straight or curved calipers. thank you for being patient. I'm so glad i joined this site. you guys have all the answers!

Last edited by husker741; 08-17-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-17-11, 04:52 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome to CL! You have a great looking SC! Your wheels look nice and if you plan on keeping them awhile look into getting spacers for a better stance. For painting your calipers, I highly recommend G2 caliper paint...available at AutoZone etc.. For decals, look here http://www.motogfx.com/lexus/ the ones listed under IS250 will fit the front. If you want to red out the amber on the tails, buy a sheet off eBay or rvinyl.com better yet get the 06+ taillights. Aluminum pedals would be another great mod to consider. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 08-18-11, 03:15 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a link to a caliper paint and decal job I recently completed. Takes time. Not too hard.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-calipers.html

husker741: Will your dad adopt me? Welcome to CL!

Quick Reply: SC430 taillights tint, caliper paint, and intake NEW MEMBER!!