SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

02 Sc430, Where to get newer style tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 08:52 PM
botkinizer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Sc430, Where to get newer style tail lights?

I recently got an 02 Sc430, it is completely stock, color is Egyptian Sand Pearl. I'm wanting to add a little hp and torque. What are the simplest upgrades I can make to increase the torque/hp? Also, I would like to put the newer Sc430 tail lights on it, and wondering where to find those? Thanks.
Old 06-01-11, 10:11 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are no simple performance mods that will actually work. The cheapest would be headers and exhaust. Even that comes with a fairly significant cost. Then you can switch out your differential for a TT Supra LSD. Again, fairly expensive. Turbos and superchargers are ridiculously expensive.

For the taillights, you can get them new from Sewell Lexus. They give a discount to members of this site. You can also find them on ebay or in the classifieds section if you're lucky.
Old 06-01-11, 10:40 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simplest way to release torque/hp would be to remove the catalytic converter, but your car probably would not pass emission test.
Old 06-02-11, 07:09 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

'Simplest' and 'SC430' are oxymorons. Just wait til you have to change a light bulb haha Exhaust would be your best route, intake may do a little (very very little).

Last edited by redliner8; 06-02-11 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 09:46 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

welcome botkinizer! Great to have another Egyptian Sand Pearl owner. Check out the wheel mods of a similar SC starting with post #21 or the exhaust mods at post #43. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-owner-2.html. Many others recommend the InJen air intake filter. You may not go faster, but you sound meaner. Also popular is the handling improvements with coilovers.

Last edited by Poqman; 06-02-11 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-02-11, 12:22 PM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the lamp upgrade, go here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2006/4323.html

Darrel
Old 06-02-11, 12:52 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

My car gets "a little" more hp and torque when I wash it! LOL I wish there were simple easy mods to do on the SC, but just like diets, it's hard to slim down a biggun' "easy".

If you didn't have emission testing, the cat should be replaced by a high flow test pipe. There is a nice Megan test pipe on eBay for $60, I think. Not street legal of course.

Intake, throttle controller are less expensive potential "feel and sound" improvements in torque/hp but on the dyno have not really proven to increase anything much but owner/driver satisfaction. I believe headers have been the single most inexpensive HP increase out of all the "lighter mods", lets say under $1k.

Of course the creme de la creme is to add a Tom's Supercharger if you have the coin! Or do a Supra TT engine/tranny/drivetrain swap. Just a few hours of labor, plug and play .
Old 06-02-11, 08:11 PM
botkinizer
Driver School Candidate

I'm currently looking into ordering an Injen Intake system for it. If I looked into headers, what brands and hp gains am I looking at from that? Those wheels look good Poqman, I am getting Motegi MR107 Racing Wheels, pretty excited about those. Trying to decide if I want to put fatter tires on the back, does anyone have experience with bigger back tires? Or know where I could look to find info on them. My dad is afraid it will mess with the ABS and other stuff, is it not good to have bigger back tires?
Old 06-02-11, 09:51 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those wheels are ok quality.

You can put fatter tires on the back. It will improve the rear traction but also cause some understeering. I personally prefer a a square setup.
Old 06-03-11, 05:00 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the headers from PPE Engineering. They're high quality. Email Paul at sales@ppeengineering.com, tell him Redliner8 sent you and he'll help you with the pricing.

I would only do fatter tires in the back if you want it for the looks. Unless you significantly increase the car's hp/torque and need it for the traction, they are going to slow you down and give you less mpg.

Last edited by redliner8; 06-03-11 at 05:04 AM.
Old 06-03-11, 02:33 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally I got the reflectors on Sewell and waited (for a long time) until good deals popped up on eBay. Believe it or not, I got the left tail lamp (06+) for $40 and my right side for $90. My waiting paid off if you're willing to be patient in order to save money. My total for my complete upgraded tail lamps --> $40 LH tail lamp + $90 RH tail lamp + $184 for reflectors + $40 for LH socket and wire = $354 total for complete 06+ tail lamp upgrade! All in all, stick to Sewell Lexus and eBay. GL!!
Old 06-03-11, 09:24 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, deals can be had. Thanks to one of our fellow forum members, I bought from him for $450 for everything but the ecu. Also ordered the chromies and installed all last weekend-looks GREAT. lUXLINK, However is still the BEST upgrade ever. Had mine for 3 years, bought a spare, and bought another for my "future" SC. I am perfectly content, but some day it will be either an 07 Pebble Beach or a 10 SC. No hurry, my 02 suites me fine until the right deal comes along.

John
Old 06-26-13, 04:00 PM
Alex818
Driver

Default bump

I'm looking for the 06+ tail lights also. If anyone here happens to be selling theirs, I'd be interested.

While you others maybe can tell me what's this computer talk all about regarding upgrading these lights. I thought the lights were just plug and play
Old 06-26-13, 05:05 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex818
I'm looking for the 06+ tail lights also. If anyone here happens to be selling theirs, I'd be interested.

While you others maybe can tell me what's this computer talk all about regarding upgrading these lights. I thought the lights were just plug and play
The 06+ have a light ECU, if you don't change the ECU, it will trigger one of the dash light.

here is a sample of a complete tail light set

(2) 06+ LED taillights with blubs
(2) Matching 06+Upper lamp garnishes (02-05 look different)
(1) 06+ light ECU (no dash lights)

Link
Old 06-26-13, 05:25 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Some of us ended up just putting a mask of black tape so we do not see the Light indicator in the dashboard. Somewhere here there should be a DIY. Otherwise you can spend money of the ECU. Up to you.

Quick Reply: 02 Sc430, Where to get newer style tail lights?