SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 06:31 PM
C-SupraTT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The previous links on that old thread must have changed, try this:

http://www.etrailer.com/products.asp...=Lexus&t1=&h=e
Old 09-14-06, 08:01 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Yeah, that worked for the 97 SC 300 that the thread related to, but had nothing for an 05 SC 430. Still looking for a trailer hitch manufacturer.
Old 06-13-07, 11:39 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Default Cool bike rack on SC430

I saw it this weekend, and I didn't think it could have existed.

Rear plate was mounted on a springy pivot. Plate gets pulled open/down to expose a bike rack mount that attached to the top of the metal bumper structure, inside the cavity behind the plate.

You stick in the actual rack, one piece of square beam.

Stick the cotter pin to hold the rack in place, and you've got a practical way to transport bikes and keep them far enough away from the body and not threaten any of the paint with the bikes or the rack.

Anyone have this? The SC I saw it on was parked, guy probably out riding, and I wish I could have asked him where he got that rack.
Old 06-14-07, 06:04 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, please! I want one of these too!
Old 06-17-07, 11:06 AM
bfigard
Rookie

It was a white on saddle, probably a 2006 parked in the marina parking lot near marina del rey. all the bikers come by that lot, so you must have been out riding when I saw your rack. Who are you? Anyone here know you?
Old 06-17-07, 11:41 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

a bike rack on a sc430- whats next?
Old 06-17-07, 05:09 PM
bfigard
Rookie

But done with class... put the top up or down with the bikes mounted.

Take the rack off, and no one would know ....it's all behind the license plate
Old 06-17-07, 05:27 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=towing

Try these guys if your intent on doing this.
http://www.bikerackshops.com/groupspecialtyracks.html

Would be curious to see pics.
Lee
Old 08-01-07, 08:11 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Default "hidden" receiver for bike rack

Installed today by Eckart's in LA. Bike shops told me to get a 2" receiver, even though 200 pounds is max for bike racks. Sticks out a bit, but they made a cap that mounts the rear plate right into the receiver. I am contemplating whether to tell them to take it off and give my money back.

Let's hear from those who would love a hidden bike rack mount and from you perfectionists too.

Conflicted right now!
Attached Thumbnails ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)-top.jpg  
Old 08-01-07, 08:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I actually does not look too bad IMO. If it serves your purpose stick with it.
Old 08-01-07, 09:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup i agree, it doesn't look bad at all if you need that application
Old 08-02-07, 08:41 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I REALLY like the way that looks. While I can spot the license plate sticking out a little bit, I sent the link to my wife and she didn't even notice it...which is a good thing! You really have to be looking for it. Nice work.

I know that many folks here feel it's blasphamy to put a bike rick on this car. However, some people (myself included) don't have a second "beater" car to use for these kinds of things. While I have no issue with finding a beat up $2,000 car for this kind of stuff, we live in a condo and I DO have an issue with spending $12,000 for a second parking space in our building to park the beater car! That makes it a very expensive bike-hauler!

My only question (and this may be a fairly stupid one) is where does the rear license plate go when you have the bike rack "plugged into" the reciever hitch?
Old 08-02-07, 09:04 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Habious
we live in a condo and I DO have an issue with spending $12,000 for a second parking space

I hope that comes with car-side ordering. Gheesh.
Old 08-02-07, 09:39 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Also keep in mind this is a 2-inch receiver. Bike racks exist that can mount to a smaller receiver which may stick out a fraction of an inch less.

And keep in mind that if I see anyone hauling a trailer with this get up I do reserve the right to cry, point and laugh, and find any means necessary to embarass you...assuming your trailer and rear bumper haven't stopped without you somewhere back. Rated to 200 pounds max.

Originally Posted by Habious
My only question (and this may be a fairly stupid one) is where does the rear license plate go when you have the bike rack "plugged into" the reciever hitch?
I will either look for or have fabricated an attachment for the bike rack to mount the receiver "cap" that holds the rear plate directly to the bike rack.
Should be as simple as two ears on the back of the rack with holes big enough for the retaining pin.

While the flip-down license plate holder can be used for trailer hauling (hides the receiver when not in use), keep in mind that cops don't mind that because they can ID you by the plates on your trailer before they leave their cruiser.

If your plate is not visible and you don't have a trailer plate they can call in before they greet you, they will be have reason to stop you and nervous about getting shot by an anonymous motorist in the process (do you like tickets?).

That's why I certainly will ensure my plate is visible from behind before I take my bike anywhere.

Last edited by bfigard; 08-02-07 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-04-07, 07:03 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Default bike rack done right

Here is the big picture. More detailed to come when I can get permission for more than one pic per post.

I had to get the license plate mount welded on at a mobile shop ($30). It is important to:

1) use a qualified welder because the bike rack is not so thick and you could melt through it

2) mount it down at the bottom so cops can see it below your bikes (2 max) AND to keep the weld out of the load path due to the weight of the bikes. I knew all those structural engineering courses back in college would pay off!
Attached Thumbnails ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)-sideview.jpg  

Quick Reply: ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)