SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

To Spacer or not to Spacer? That is the question...Opinions Needed!

Old 05-01-11, 09:15 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts
Default To Spacer or not to Spacer? That is the question...Opinions Needed!

Okay gang, I'm about to do my red caliper covers I just bought and while the wheels are off I am strongly considering adding spacers to my 20" staggered wheel setup and megan coilovers.

After the drop, as you all know, your wheels' camber changes...the more you drop, the more significant. Mine is minimal, but after seeing some of your spacers I am convinced that I could do something small to get a "perfect result". Not sure if you can tell from the pics, sorry. Here's what I have:

So measuring from the top of the tire to the exterior fender lip, I've got appx 1" in the front and .75" in the rear. MM wise it's 3 MM and 2 MM respectively.

My goal is to get it flush, like many of you have done. I recently saw a vette and how their wheels look perfect with the fenders and I really like that. Other current cars on the road don't look as good now that I'm noticing like G37's...lots of room for spacers at the top for their 19" set up and I agree with many of you that the stock 18" setup on the SC looks dramatically diff with spacers as well.

Obviously I can't go much, but do you think the 5mm spacers would push it out TOO much? I'm looking at these online and I can't figure out how such a small spacer would push out the wheel as much as 5mm, which is more than an inch???? The width of this spacer looks very small, unless it's not a correct picture?

So I apologize for the dumb question, but does a 5mm spacer REALLY push the wheel out by that much, or is that the width including the studs???

I do have a hub centric ring currently on the wheel...it's not very thick though I saw it when they installed. Since these spacers are hub centric, I'm assuming I would ditch mine? Here are the ones I'm looking at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-I...Q5fAccessories

What else is needed for the install? A torque wrench?

Do you think my setup is worth it trying to get perfect, or would you leave it alone? Thanks for your opinions and knowledge!
Attached Thumbnails To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo9.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo4.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-lastlowered3.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo11.jpg  
Old 05-01-11, 09:48 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

25.4 mm = 1"
5mm is about 1/5".
I did 25mm in back and 20mm in front with my stock wheels.
I sounds like you have room for 20mm in the front but only 15mm in back.
Old 05-01-11, 09:48 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I think the car looks great as it is !!!...I haven't done wheels yet,but must admit that I have been looking at others wheels,offsets and drops to come up with a combination to fill as much wheel well as possible
Old 05-01-11, 03:11 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scdroptop, from the angle of your pictures (which by the way makes your car look marvelous) you can't really tell how far your wheels are tucked in. We need more of a rear view facing forward and a front view facing back along the side of the car. For a just a silly 5mm, IMHO I wouldn't bother. From the pics you did show us it looks just fine. If you do decide to go ahead with the 5mm, the ones that you had the link for, you will still need your wheel center hubs. I didn't see any lip for the wheel to sit on to center when you are installing your wheels. You have the centering hubs because your wheel centers are bigger than the centering hub on your car .Hope this helps.
Old 05-01-11, 06:39 PM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by Bon
25.4 mm = 1"
5mm is about 1/5".
I did 25mm in back and 20mm in front with my stock wheels.
I sounds like you have room for 20mm in the front but only 15mm in back.
LOL...should have known my cheap-o Farmers Insurance Ruler that my agent mailed me years ago made in (Guess?) had MM wrong on the other side of the inches!! One side says Inches the other MM. I thought they were a little small for mm...most likely it's CM!!! hehe

Bon, yeah I guess you are right I could go 15 and 12 to be conservative???

I will try to take better pics. I know it's hard to tell, and I may be splitting hairs. Based on my measurements in inches do you all think it is worth it?
Old 05-01-11, 06:55 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

My opinion is not to do the spacers. My reasoning is that they will just cause your brake calipers and rotors to recede deeper into the wheel and when you go red that will just make that even more obvious. I did spacers and like them because the OEM wheels have more metal than air so they're pretty hard to see through. For that reason if I were to paint my calipers (or get covers) I'd do them in black. I like what you have now and your red caliper covers will look great.
Old 05-01-11, 08:22 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What are the widths and offsets of your wheels?
By looking at your pics, 20mm seems too much.
Old 05-02-11, 06:17 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

scdrotop, if you ever decide to add spacers please consider using the hubcentric spacers which has hubcentric adapters provided, kind of like what I had. Ichiba has the same spacers. This means that you bolt on the spacer and you bolt on the tires to the spacer. You will need a torque wrench, which is critical. Adding 5MM will be perfect. As I know you are a perfectionist. 5 MM will make a difference. Most specially for you. If you are not going to rub, then you can make it flush with the fender. If you follow Ichiba's rule, the edge of the tire must be inside the inner lip of the fender, to clear the tire and not rub.

JM2C:

The ones you linked are just spacers and you will have to replace your stud bolts, which means you might need to hammer it out of the hub and you will require a hubcentric adapter (I think). Which should work equally if done right. In this case youw ill not have this hubcentric adpater, but just a spacer. Might work for you, too.
Old 05-02-11, 06:19 AM
mandyfig

What I used to measure was a drop line. A piece of thread with a weight and I taped it on top of the fender. Then measured the distance between the thread and the side of the tire.
Old 05-02-11, 08:57 AM
scdroptop

Originally Posted by talwang
What are the widths and offsets of your wheels?
By looking at your pics, 20mm seems too much.
It's been a while, but I'm 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 rears. 20mm front and 25 rear. My set up is 245/35/20 fronts and 285/30/20 rear.

After my drop with the Megans and adjustment as much as I could with alignments/camber I am still tucked in about 1.5" in front and .75" rear.

Would 5mm do the trick? Like Mandy suggested get the built in hub centric ones from Ichiba?

So question....If I have hub centric rings now on my car, I would take them off right?
Old 05-02-11, 10:08 AM
mandyfig

Yes your existing adpaters are not needed (but keep them for use later).

If you get the hubcentric spacer adapters it will come with the hubcentric adapter. In fact the set that I bought has a generic center bore and they use different hub centric adapters for different applications. So the adapter has a center insert specifically designed for your car's application, in our situation 60.1 mm if I am not mistaken.

I must say that the fit of the hubcentric adapter on the center bore is dead on. I can not complain. I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and am into manufacturing so I speak with some kind of experience.
Old 05-02-11, 11:47 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by scdroptop
It's been a while, but I'm 20x8.5 front and 20x9.5 rears. 20mm front and 25 rear. My set up is 245/35/20 fronts and 285/30/20 rear.

After my drop with the Megans and adjustment as much as I could with alignments/camber I am still tucked in about 1.5" in front and .75" rear.

Would 5mm do the trick? Like Mandy suggested get the built in hub centric ones from Ichiba?

So question....If I have hub centric rings now on my car, I would take them off right?
Personally, I think your setup is good enough if the specs you just posted are correct. I will keep that setup as is.

By Rominl's wheel fitment guide, you could add up to 7mm spacers in the rear if you really want to. 5mm is easier to find than 7mm.
Wheel spacers of the size are not adapter type (with built-in studs).
That is, you may need to either change out the oem studs for the extended ones to be safe (recommended) or leave stock studs as is and torque each lug nut more often.

Also make sure they are hubcentric, you will still need your hubcentric rings for your ADR wheels.
Old 05-02-11, 11:47 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Yes your existing adpaters are not needed (but keep them for use later).

If you get the hubcentric spacer adapters it will come with the hubcentric adapter. In fact the set that I bought has a generic center bore and they use different hub centric adapters for different applications. So the adapter has a center insert specifically designed for your car's application, in our situation 60.1 mm if I am not mistaken.

I must say that the fit of the hubcentric adapter on the center bore is dead on. I can not complain. I am a Mechanical Engineer by trade and am into manufacturing so I speak with some kind of experience.

No, he still needs his hub centric rings for his adr wheels unless the wheels spacers are made hubcentric to his adr wheels.
Old 05-02-11, 12:56 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scdroptop

So you have 20x8.5 Front with 20mm offset and the wheels are still about 1.5 inch pushed in? That doesn't seem right. Maybe the vendor sent you front wheels with the wrong offsets.
Old 05-02-11, 01:04 PM
talwang

cyberlexus does have a good point.

Maybe it is because of the angle of your pics, your front seems to have more room for spacers.

Assume both you and ssk0771 have posted the correct specs.

Your current front should look close to ssk0771's setup fitmentwise.

The rear should look close to this after you add 7mm spacers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To Spacer or not to Spacer? That is the question...Opinions Needed!