SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Push button start SC

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-11, 08:57 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Push button start SC

Has Anyone tried/installed a keyless entry/push button start system like this on a SC?

http://www.advancedkeys.com/index.htm
Old 01-20-11, 09:00 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No an SC but very similar you can say...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ton-start.html
Old 01-20-11, 09:11 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Interesting...!

Here's an other one....

http://www.auto-hub.com/stardrive_pu..._ignition.html
Old 01-20-11, 09:27 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Whoever figures out how to do this and makes a writeup.....I am definitely doing this!
Old 01-20-11, 09:56 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

- Getting the car to unlock with proximity detection...Easy
- Getting the car to start with the press of a button, only when the FOB is in the car...Easy
- CONDITIONALLY defeating the steering column lock...Really, REALLY hard!

Even the guy in the Supra post above states, in his description...

I have yet to develop a column-lock solenoid if it can even be made. I may have to look at late-model toyotas to see if there is anything already available. If not, I can still offer this unit with the intention that the user resolves column-lock themselves.
You can permanently disable the steering column lock. Then, you don't need a key. Just press the button to start the car, put it in "D" and drive away. But, you lose a big security feature in doing that.

Some people install push-button start but leave the steering column lock in place. But, that means pressing the button to start the car, then putting the key in the ignition and turning it to "ON"...then put the car in "D" and drive away. I don't really understand this idea. All you've done is add a step to starting the car.

From the StarDrive FAQ...

What if my car has a locking column? Can I use StarDrive?

There is no easy bypass for a car that has a mechanical steering wheel lock, and it will need to be defeated if you want to have the keyless experience. Do so at your own risk!
The Advanced Keys installation manual says...

Most vehicles require a key inserted into the key cylinder to mechanically disable the OEM steering column lock anti-theft feature. In order to achieve true hands-free operation of the Smart Keyless Entry and Go function, the steering column lock needs to be bypassed or disabled. We do not recommend disabling the steering column lock permanently through mechanical modification, however the “Shaved-Key” method is an easy and completely reversible way to bypass the steering column lock.
For those wondering, the "Shaved-Key" method means you take a working key, break off the handle of it, put it in the steering column, turn it to "ON", so the steering column lock is disabled, and stick a plastic cover over it.

It's funny, whever you see someone "hot wire" a car in TV or the movies, they always just grab a handful of wires from under the dash, short a few together, the car starts, and they drive off.

Getting the car to start is relatively simple - even in cars with Immobilizers (like the SC430) it's not an impossible task, if you know what you're doing.

But the Steering Wheel lock is a pain...you need to drill it out, or use some brute force with something like a slide hammer puller to yank the cylinder out.
Old 01-20-11, 11:14 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Very true!

The SC ignition key is not on the steering column... I wonder what unlocks the steering wheel... It must be some solenoid?!?
Old 01-20-11, 01:55 PM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a mechanical connection between the ignition cylinder and the steering column.

You can feel it if you...

- Lock the steering column by taking the key out
- Turn the steering wheel in either direction until you feel/hear it lock
- Put the key back in the ignition and try to turn it

You'll feel a lot of resistance. However, if you turn the steering wheel slightly, to take the pressure off the latching mechanism, the key will turn easily and the steering wheel will unlock.