SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Potential SC430 owner need advise

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-10, 08:31 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Potential SC430 owner need advise

There is an opportunity to get hold of a 2002 Black SC430.

Location Marietta, GA.

Went through an 85K mile service at a local Lex dealer.

Miles 109,000 timing belt original.

Clean although been through front and rear collision but repaired decent.

TPMS is on (read about this).

Tires are normal, not run flats, nearly new.

Rims are OE.

Decent interior.

Leather is reddish color.

Wants $14,500.

I drive about 7K per year, daily ride.

Should I go for it?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-09-10, 09:18 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...personally, I shy away from luxury cars that have been in an accident since there's a lot of technology and delicate parts in them (it's not like buying a f150 pickup that has been in an accident). The price is decent (similar sold on ebay). The TPMS light is probably on because the owner didn't install the TPMS with the non-runflat tires. You can disable the TPMS entirely so the light will go away (there's do-it-yourself threads on here). I would check the CarFax and see how many people have owned it since the accident, or if the owner sold it right after the accident. You don't want to buy someone else's problems.
Old 12-09-10, 10:35 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

The previous owner would have had to have the tire shop remove the sensors. So I suspect that the TPMS light is on because the batteries have failed in the TPMS.

If having an alarm to tell you that the tire pressure is low is important to you, then have a dealership check to see if there are any in the tires and replace the bad one(s). This won't be cheap.

If you don't care about an alarm because you regularly check your tire pressure and inspect the tires to make sure none of them are looking low, there is a thread in this forum in the sticky area with instructions about how to disable the alarm light. (I believe there is a connector under the ash tray or somewhere in the vicinity that you can disconnect.)

If you'd rather have a full up tire pressure display that actually gives you tire pressure (rather than just an idiot light), there is a thread in the forum where a member described replacing his TPMS with an Orange Electronics monitor system. I forget where he mounted the display though.
Old 12-09-10, 01:16 PM
mandyfig

Thanks a bunch. From the little that I have read on this forum, everybody seems to be enjoying owning an SC430.
Old 12-09-10, 01:33 PM
mandyfig

Makes sense to stay away from an accident laden car!
Old 12-09-10, 01:43 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You were kind enough to respond to my query about RX350s in that forum a few weeks back when I was looking for one so here are several thoughts for you regarding a possible 2002 SC430 -
1) Is there a spare tire? You may want one for a daily driver if the RFTs are gone. Also if the tires are near new it won't be very easy for you to tell if there's unusual tire wear unless you have the alignment checked. 430s go through tires reasonably quickly anyway so you don't want any residual accident misalignment compounding this. Look underneath and in the engine room for weld repairs, crumple damage.
2) The original timing belt should be replaced on any '02 on the basis of time alone. If you're handy it's a 6-hour job with about $300 parts (timing belt, idlers, water pump, serpentine belt). If you would go to a shop or dealer for this expect $500-$900 and be pleasantly surprised if it's less. You're considering a car with an interference engine so you should know that a timing belt failure is almost certainly catastrophic.
3) Test the sound system on all sources and turn the volume up. The Mark Levinson system on this car can have some issues. Some folks have reported CDs won't play and the door speakers are notorious for the foam surrounds failing, causing distortion. Any new OEM sound system parts are expensive.
4) The convertible top can be one of the most expensive things to fix so make sure it works.
5) If it has NAV with the original disc it will be very outdated (~$190 to update if you choose).

As others have noted the car is loaded with [2002] technology and complicated systems and it can become expensive to keep it all working. In addition, there are some threads here that focus on prospective owner concerns and SC430 problems that are far more comprehensive than the few ideas I've given you, but these are some of the big ones. All this said, the price doesn't seem too bad, subject to some negotiation.
Old 12-09-10, 04:33 PM
mandyfig

Thanks a lot for returning the favor. This SC430 has been an unexpected thing, was not looking for one. Out of nowhere it presented itself. An officemate's mom owns it and I saw it one day being driven to work and I fell in love with it. I said, if your mom ever decides to sell the car, I will buy it.

The accidents according to my officemate were minor and repairs were done by a top notch collision place here (Ferrari's and all).

Certainly appreciate you fine folks' say.

I have been a recipient of some great helpful things from the CL and every single time the opportunity comes up to help a fellow member, I am more than happy to offer some advise.

Thanks again and hopefully with some help from you all fine folks, I can resolve this itch.

I have read through a few threads and I find it irresistible to start working on an SC. I do not know about you, I like working on cars. Of course nothing beats owning a brand new car, but next to it, working on de-bugging and improving a car is my hobby, while enjoying the ride.

And once a Lexus owner, there's nothing else.
Old 12-09-10, 04:35 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Harold57
The previous owner would have had to have the tire shop remove the sensors. So I suspect that the TPMS light is on because the batteries have failed in the TPMS.

If having an alarm to tell you that the tire pressure is low is important to you, then have a dealership check to see if there are any in the tires and replace the bad one(s). This won't be cheap.

If you don't care about an alarm because you regularly check your tire pressure and inspect the tires to make sure none of them are looking low, there is a thread in this forum in the sticky area with instructions about how to disable the alarm light. (I believe there is a connector under the ash tray or somewhere in the vicinity that you can disconnect.)

If you'd rather have a full up tire pressure display that actually gives you tire pressure (rather than just an idiot light), there is a thread in the forum where a member described replacing his TPMS with an Orange Electronics monitor system. I forget where he mounted the display though.
I can live without the TPMS. I am pretty OCD on my tires anyway. But good advise.
Old 12-10-10, 05:46 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Thanks a lot for returning the favor. This SC430 has been an unexpected thing, was not looking for one. Out of nowhere it presented itself. An officemate's mom owns it and I saw it one day being driven to work and I fell in love with it. I said, if your mom ever decides to sell the car, I will buy it.

The accidents according to my officemate were minor and repairs were done by a top notch collision place here (Ferrari's and all).
Although the first inclination of a luxury car purchaser might be to avoid one that's seen any accident damage, you have to keep in mind that reportable these days can be something as simple as a plastic bumper cover replacement. That's happened to two of my cars due to very slight bumps in slow traffic that scratched or dented the bumper. The new parts are indistinguishable. A Lexus dealer in my area routinely replaces bumper covers and does PDR and other touch-up on their CPO cars so original paint is something you really can't be assured of at any level. Repairs can be extremely good. If you know the extent of damage and are convinced that the repairs are adequate I wouldn't necessarily rule out an accident survivor. Good luck with your SC search, whether it's this one or another.
Old 12-10-10, 06:05 AM
mandyfig

Thanks. I have to borrow the car for a day and really look at it, top to bottom. Then I can truly say that I bought it as is. I have to do the timing belt, too. That's another $800 easy.

Thanks again.
Old 12-10-10, 11:30 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

On the assumption that you find this car acceptable and go forward with the purchase you might want to check out some of the threads here on timing belt replacement. There's an excellent DIY discussion. I used it and saved a ton of money, not to mention becoming more intimately acquainted with my SC. There are also lots of posts about what others have paid and where they had the work done if you decide to stay out of the engine room.
Old 12-10-10, 03:11 PM
m3nv
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you're willing to pay a little more, you can easily find a better deal. I just mine a 2003 blk/cinn with only 60k miles on it for 22k last month. Mine was clean, not accidents, 2008 wheels and tires, and half the miles of the one youre looking at.
Old 12-10-10, 04:43 PM
mandyfig

Thanks, that's exactly what I am doing, looking at what's available out there and not be tied up with this unit. Great advise. I will be looking at an 02 with extended warranty to 03/12, 67K miles, for $18.8k. But needs a new set of rubbers.
Old 12-10-10, 08:37 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Hold on! Let's find out more about the friend's mom accident in the SC. If she let the garage door come down on the bumper and rubbed it and clipped a car in a parking lot going 5mph then fresh paint on a 8 year old car's front and rear bumpers might not be so bad!!!

TPMS is not a big deal. As many have mentioned-you can disable. If the car has had all the major service done and is in great shape and you know the owner personally I would say your piece of mind knowing the history trumps what we can tell you, generally.

Worse case scenario-$300 for all four new sensors plus install based on eBay prices.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

As many have said eventually the batteries go out in these and they may need a rebuild or refresh/battery and we all will be needing service. If you are super OCD about your tire pressure and you want to save money, then just disable it. If you want this feature to work, you can add the cost of repairing (up to $500/$600 estimated for all four...some have paid more) to your acquisition cost. New tires can drastically differ in price dramatically too. RFT's can run you close to $1k. Yokohamas can run you $600. Your $14k price is very reasonable and is borderline GREAT for the service history, knowing the owner, condition, etc. I would look at it a little closer.

*****Go to www.lexus.com/owners and register to look at the entire car's history**** Do a search if you have trouble or PM me I can help you.

Good luck...post some pics if you can. BTW the interior is called saddle if it's the orange/brown/red color. Very nice, doesn't show as much dirt as the ecru (light tan).
Old 12-10-10, 08:51 PM
mandyfig

Thanks, I have researched teh VIN and have printed history of the VIN. I have been registered as an owner since 07. I added the VIN and kwala, I know every dealer reported service (like all details posted, not really).

But thanks. I will continue the search now that I have been hooked!

Quick Reply: Potential SC430 owner need advise