SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Nine years ago today...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 09:17 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Nine years ago today...

...(the day after Thanksgiving), I received a phone call from my dealer: "How would you like to drive a convertible for the holdays?" That rainy night, I traded in my '93 SC400 for my first new car: one of 2 Midnight Pine / Saddle SC430s that just came into Sewell Lexus.

After 9 years as my only car, it has less than 83k miles on it (5 mile commute!) and has been extraordinarily reliable vehicle, especially for a first-year model. It has had the top down more often than not, even on the hottest days of the year. And, at present, I have no plans to replace it.

So, after 9 years, I'm considering chronicling its issues, and questioning if I should post pics of its cosmetic flaws (the driver's seat make bunny cry). Most issues are in other posts, but maybe this could be a good central place to consolidate issues related to age, and serve as a warning to others not to do as I did in some cases.

My short list (open to suggestions):
- replace timing belt & water pump (a given at 9 years, despite condition)
- fix nav door (rarely opens/closes)
- fix intermittent issue with package tray (top up/down)
- replace trunk struts (I won't be bonked on the head again this winter!)
- driver's seat and arm rests: is there hope?
- rear headrests' leather shrinking
- repair front right bumper at wheel well
- scratch and dent repair, along with a pro detail
Old 11-23-10, 11:45 AM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Antigeek-all of your issues are fairly common with age on the SC and I would say reasonable to fix. I bet Sewell could do it all for you at a reasonable price. Talk to Sara in service she is awesome!

Congrats on 9 years! How many miles? Seems like you like to keep your cars for 8 years so you are overdue! Time to get the LS-F!!! Or trade her in for a pristine pre-owned at Sewell with a warranty. They have some super nice 09's there right now.

The timing belt and pump will be your most expensive fix. You could always get it done at Toyota for much less.

The trunk struts are a DIY for sure. Order them on eBay for $50

Sewell has some great interior detail guys that can clean/strip/sand/fill/re-dye your seats-it's an amazing process! Very reasonable too-unless you need the entire interior done. On a SC it't not too bad.

The scratch and dent repair-I'd recommend their $750 bumper paint repair deal==Park Place advertises one too. Go to the PP website. $80 per panel to do the paintless dent repair and I believe around $600+ for bumper repair. Sewell would probably match the Park Place coupons if you are a loyal Sewell customer and prefer to go there.

The nav door-have you searched CL to read up on some of the fixes? I remember reading some excellent posts on it.
Old 11-24-10, 04:17 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a nine year old car to have so few real mechanical issues is really quite amazing. Timing belt and water pump has to be replaced on 90% of the vehicles out there. I have replaced trunk struts on every vehicle I have owned. (15 minute job)

The rest are cosmetic. And for a daily driver regardless of what make/model will happen. I only wish my other cars would hold up as well!
Old 11-24-10, 06:10 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I'm at 9.5 years (April '01), and also traded in (sold to my brother, actually) my SC400 for the convertible. This is a good post for those of us who have stayed with this car for a long time. This is not my only car, so I do not have all the miles that the OP has; I only have 35,000, so our experiences are illustrative of the difference between wear caused by age and wear caused by use.
I have had no problems with the NAV or Radio doors, my seats and arm rests look new, and I have never had any problem with any aspect of the top. I have replaced the trunk struts (at the 4 year mark, to get that done under warranty), but have not replaced any major belts or pumps.
I would be interested in hearing what you recommend I do at the 10 year mark, when, after the winter, the car starts to get used more frequently again. I have not heard of replacing water pumps unless they are malfunctioning, but perhaps belts and hosts should be looked at. What else should concern me in trying to keep this wonderful car in top condition?
Happy motoring.
Old 11-24-10, 07:22 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

You've gone 9+ years and haven't had to service the TPS yet? I'm amazed that the batteries have lasted that long, unless you just forgot about doing those earlier. (Mine went out at 4 years and am seeing another one starting to go out now with the cold weather.)
Old 11-25-10, 06:05 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

I have had no problems with the TPS. I changed tires, of course, when the run flats were done, and I've replaced the battery at least once, and probably twice. I change the oil regularly and have all scheduled service done as suggested by Lexus. I have had the brake work done when needed. My comments above were that I have had no emergency or unexpected component failures, such as radiator, fuel or water pump, roof problems, etc.
Old 11-26-10, 06:57 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 02, 40,000 miles. not much done - original brakes(5000 miles more) and all fluids (mechanic says I don't need to) except the engine oil, filter etc, added little brake fluid, new battery, new Tires, replaced a dome light bulb and trunk struts, windshield is cracked, front bumper has scuffs L and R sides (garage!), few tiny door dings....

Last edited by Prasha; 11-26-10 at 07:13 PM.