SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tire Pressure Sensor Compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 08:06 AM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensor Compatibility?

Will TPS sensors from a 2003 work in 2004 OEM wheels mounted on a 2005 model SC430?
I just got the deal of the century on a near new set of Brigestone Potenza REO 40 RFT's and factory wheels and covers off a 2004. However the sensor valves were removed and put on the owners new wheels and non run-flats. I wanted to try these tires and wheels on my 05 that has standard non runflats on it to see how they ride and sound. For $200 I could not pass up the deal. Tires were only on the 04 for 3 months and they did not like them. Owner subsequently sold the SC430 but hung onto the wheels till they moved to Tampa. No need for them so they put them on CList. But I do not want to pull the sensors out of my current wheels.

Now I have located a set of 03 sensors and before I purchase them want to know if they will work so I can have a complete extra set.

Thanks for any advice on this.
Old 12-19-10, 08:27 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Should work fine as long as your second set has four different color codes. Lexus uses color codes to ID four different sensors colors should be White, Blue, Red and Gold. Almost forgot, the age could be an issue to, i.e. the battery in the sensor. You should get it tested first to save you some headache later.
Old 12-19-10, 09:52 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

The SC430 is capable of handling 2 sets of tires, which I would guess to make it capable of handling regular and snow season tires. There is a button inside the glove compartment to switch between the two sets.
Old 12-19-10, 02:07 PM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

Default How do I test sensor?

If battery goes bad, can they be replaced or is the sensor DOA?

Also, Only thing in my glove box is the button to lock access to the trunk, or am I mising something?

Being a brand new owner of this beautiful piece of work, I am in the process or reading the "WAR IN PEACE"- size manual. I will move ahead to the tire sensors.

Thank for everybody's help!
Wendell
Old 12-19-10, 02:12 PM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Should work fine as long as your second set has four different color codes. Lexus uses color codes to ID four different sensors colors should be White, Blue, Red and Gold. Almost forgot, the age could be an issue to, i.e. the battery in the sensor. You should get it tested first to save you some headache later.
Thanks,
How do I check battery and can they be replace.
Where do I find the color codes?
Thanks,
Wendell

Nice pics of your ride. I need a bra for mine! and the back seat cover is sweet!
Old 12-19-10, 02:19 PM
VVTiBob

Look on the other (right) side.
Attached Thumbnails Tire Pressure Sensor Compatibility?-tire-switch.png  
Old 12-19-10, 02:24 PM
VVTiBob

Oh I forgot, batteries are not replaceable... While a number of conditions will affect their life, usually 8 to 10 years if you're lucky.
Old 12-19-10, 02:31 PM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

I found it. Thank you very much. I just got to page 225 in manual and see it too! Looks like they want me to go to the dealer to set that second set up or is there a way to do that myself?
Thanks,
W
Old 12-19-10, 02:32 PM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

Is there a way to check them when they are out of the wheel. I was about to purchase a set of four from Ebay off a 2003. He said they worked when he removed them but has no way to check them now. That means they are 7 years old now.
Old 12-19-10, 02:43 PM
VVTiBob

Each TPMS device has a unique ID and has to be registered with the ECM. As far as I know you know someone who has a DTC Lexus Scan Tool/TechStream to enter ID and initialize them.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 12-19-10 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-19-10, 03:18 PM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again,
OK this may be the last question. If I buy these used sensors and the batterys are dead,
I will at least have wheels and tires I can put air in and they will be functional except for the sensing part right? Is there an option just to put regular stems in them so they will hold air? I am not sure how runflats work. At least I will have two sets of functional tires. I don't even know if my existing sensors work as they are not on OEM Lexus rims and I read somewhere that they might not work. I don't have any warning lights on the dash. I don't know if the sysem is on. Lady that had car had nitrogen filled in the tires on it now..
Old 12-19-10, 04:21 PM
VVTiBob

Ok there a lot of questions.

Yes they will be functional except for the sensing part. However there are correct torque amounts (27in. lbf) and inner and outer grommets which prevent air leak. An old or damage grommet will leak.

Tire and wheels are manufactured to SAE standards. The gov't requires TPMS on cars after all the Explorer rollovers and because people don't check the pressure now a days.

Some members have disconnected their systems for the very reasons, dead batteries, and don't want go to the expense. You can always test your system by rapidly deflating a tire, (if you have the means to re inflate it of course).

Additionally rotating tire mean resetting the IDs...and tire rotation is really important on your SC due to camber geometry. If you don't you'll blow through tires quickly by wearing out the inside edge.

Runflats have much thicker sidewall to support the weight of the load should the tire loose pressure. Typically they give a rougher ride. There are lots of complaints on this forum about that very topic.

BTW using the SEARCH feature and Advanced Search to narrow the scope of any search SC430s for example is a GREAT resource! There is a huge amount of knowledge in those threads....

Nitrogen vs Compressed air...Nitrogen is an inert gas with a larger molecule. Some argue it maintains pressure better that air. Compressed air major component is oxygen and over long periods oxygen can oxidize wheels (inside rims) and steels belts in tires. Remember I said long periods.

BTW what do you know about the condition of the wheels? Damage? Slightly bent rim? Just a question...

Good luck.
Old 12-19-10, 04:54 PM
wambahock
Driver School Candidate

I visually inspected the wheels last night. Other than one having some curb rash, they were execeptionally in good shape. The insides were nearly perfect. The tires look like they are brand new. The owners did not like the rough ride and changed the wheels and tires out 3 months after purchasing the car new. They sat on these wheels and tires for years and just paid to move them to Florida with them. They wanted to get rid of them and so I went to look at them as they were only 2 miles away. I was shocked to see how nice they were. I figured I could easily sell them. I know my buddy may need them as I hear they only last 15K-20K miles. I also heard even regular tires don't last long on the SC430 and for $200 for the set I figured I could not go wrong.

Since I am unfamiliar with this car and the TPMS, I did not understand at first why the tires were partially off the rim when I first saw them. The lady really did not have a handle on it either. I saw there was no valve stem and she said the dealer took them out and put them on their new wheels and tires, Guess they bought chrome wheels.
They sold the SC430 because she had back surgery and had a hard time getting in an out of the car. Now I know, the monitors were removed and put on their new wheels. My buddy has an 04 with the run flats. They are noisy but he likes them so he does not have to tie up the trunk with a spare and can put his golf clubs in the trunk- Big Bag.
I told him about my tire purchase and he laughed and said I needed the sensors and they cost $100-125 each but also remarked at what a good deal I got on the tires. $400-$500was more than I paid for the wheels and tires so I started checking them out on Ebay, etc. I did not want to buy an expired sensor, mount it, put it on the car and find out they were shot and do it all over again. I figure if they came off a 2003 they may be dead or at the end of their life, right? So worst case I put valve stems in them and can use them without the tire monitoring system. I have never had it on any of my previous cars over the past 43 years and can live without it.
Thus all the questions to knowledgeable people that know about this stuff. I believe in learning from the pros first instead of learning by mistake, and it appears with this Lexus a mistake can cost a few hundred in a heartbeat.
I have started searching some of the posts and have learned quite a bit in the past few hours. Still reading through the manual too!
In summary I think I have my answer now. Just get the right valve stems and mount the wheels without the sensor system working. See if I like them. If I do I have tires that will last 15K or 2-3 years for my driving style.
If not take them off and sell them.
Thanks a bunch. You have been great.
Wendell