SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Alpine W505 7" screen in SC430

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-11, 11:07 AM
T8LEX
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay so my car is getting the alpine 505 head unit installed today. I have to wait for the speakers and amp install cause i dont have the $$ yet but atleast i will have a nice looking alpine in tonight or tomorrow i will update with some pics when i can
Old 02-22-11, 11:23 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

Originally Posted by T8LEX
okay so my car is getting the alpine 505 head unit installed today. I have to wait for the speakers and amp install cause i dont have the $$ yet but atleast i will have a nice looking alpine in tonight or tomorrow i will update with some pics when i can
Exciting!! Post pictures when you can.
Old 02-22-11, 01:59 PM
baboya96
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

So what was the final verdict on cost? and possibility of selling the kit to out-of-state ppl?
Old 02-23-11, 01:29 PM
T8LEX
Driver

I got bad news for you all. I found out how this install was done and what he did was instead of keeping the original head unit in the car to keep the navi and doors working what he did was take out one of the boards from the factory stereo so it isnt something as simple as wiring!!
Old 02-23-11, 06:55 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does your navi and everything else still work? How's the new player?
Old 02-24-11, 08:31 AM
westxype
Rookie

Damn that sucks to hear. Sounds like a lot of work now to do this.
Old 02-24-11, 08:57 AM
EddierRo
Driver

Was the factory ML system retained?
Old 02-24-11, 10:15 AM
T8LEX
Driver

Well i only got the Alpine head unit installed so because i didnt get a new amp installed yet the ML amp could only work the Alpine unit or the navi so he installed a switch to choose which i wanted to use. But he told me once i get the speakers and amp installed everything will work all at the same time without any problems. The factory ML was partially retained he took out the circuit board from the ML head unit and left it in the car and the rest of the ML is no longer in the car.
Old 02-24-11, 01:57 PM
EddierRo
Driver

Well i only got the Alpine head unit installed so because i didnt get a new amp installed yet the ML amp could only work the Alpine unit or the navi so he installed a switch to choose which i wanted to use. But he told me once i get the speakers and amp installed everything will work all at the same time without any problems. The factory ML was partially retained he took out the circuit board from the ML head unit and left it in the car and the rest of the ML is no longer in the car.
At least we know the entire factory deck doesnt have have to be relocated
Old 02-28-11, 05:08 PM
westxype
Rookie

Could you find out what board was pulled and retained for the stereo to work for us out of staters? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-11, 02:47 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yourpop79
Hello All, I posted this thread to let SC owners know that you can put a double din head unit in the SC's. My installer charged $160 for the kit around the head unit (some people were trying to charge $600....Lol). He wired it so I can keep my navigation stock as well, and wired it so my antenna only comes up when I'm listening to the radio only. I have Focal 165a1 in the doors, and 4 inch woofers in the back. All being pushed by Arc Audio Amp. I hope this helps anyone looking to put a new head unit and speakers in the SC. This forum is amazing, thanks to all that provide great information.

Pics should be below.
Nice Thanks for the post!
Old 07-30-11, 07:33 AM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Navigation/Radio Upgrades

Ok I have been on a mission to try to find out how to upgrade my Radio Head to a unit that has all the toys, bluetooth, sat radio, ipod interface,.......etc.

Now upgrading to several double din radios is absolutely no problem and most good installers can do the job. They can put in a back up camera, mod the steering wheel controls, install Sat Radio, and pretty much everything else you want. There are several Utube videos showing several SC430 with new radios installed.

However that is one Big Problem, the Nav Voice is disabled. I have spoken to the installers in Canada who have one of the Videos and the installers in Long Island NY who did the other Video, and both have told me that there is no way to retain the Factory stock Navigation Voice that will automatically mute what ever source you are listening to so the Nav voice can give you the next guidance. Both agree that the Voice can be put into an Aux input, but you must switch to that input to hear the Nav voice. Pain the butt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ypa6ZWpEfrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tSqXj0fvq0

However, I think I may have an idea for us. That is to remove the Stock Nav system altogether, and replace it with a 7 in GPS Nav System such as the Magellan Roadmate.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGoQ8wIwAA

Now one of the installers I spoke with in Canada said that they had removed the Stock Nav system and replaced the screen using an aftermarket 7 inch screen which they used as a video screen from the Nav system they put into the where the stock radio was. They did this without losing the stock Nav Bezel and door operation.

Of course this is a clean way to do the install, but now you have to look further down to look at the GPS, a possible safety issue. You now can put in a double din radio head without GPS but with all the other features at a considerably lower cost. Of course the key would be to figure out how to remove everything on the GPS except the bezel and the motor that operates the door and install a Magellan into the opening. The magellan is very thin and I think this could be done.

In both cases presented above, some of the NAV Control buttons below the Nav scree become useless, and the others, Open, Close, and Tilt still function.

Just by way of info. I asked the cost of the two modifications I saw, the most reasonable was the modification at the Long Island Shop, they quoted me around $1400 with the radio, back up camera and Steering wheel control. The Canadian shop estimated 5-6 thousand.

Just food for thought.
Old 08-04-11, 09:25 AM
KaseZome
Driver School Candidate

so much better than stock... subscribed
Old 08-04-11, 10:05 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djmichel
Just by way of info. I asked the cost of the two modifications I saw, the most reasonable was the modification at the Long Island Shop, they quoted me around $1400 with the radio, back up camera and Steering wheel control. The Canadian shop estimated 5-6 thousand.

Just food for thought.
The $1,400 at the Long Island Shop includes a head unit and camera, or is that just installation costs?
Old 03-29-12, 07:38 AM
HOODCELEBS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gammalex she ready she looking nice