SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Her first photo shoot + new audio system

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-10, 07:56 PM
t119
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Her first photo shoot + new audio system

I bought my 2003 sc430 in February and have slowly been piecing her together to get her where I want. I have only done a few things the past 6 months, but you have to start somewhere. I appreciate all of the insight that everyone on this forum has given me thus far. Without further a-du, here she is:

And now for my audio system. The system is ran by a clarion nx700 double din unit. The unit allows 2-zone video capability. This means that I can play a DVD or iPod Video on another screen. To make this function usable in an SC, the stock navigation screen had to be replaced with an aftermarket screen that is able to be connected to the clarion unit. In case any of you are curious about the unit, here's a link: http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...394334509.html

The satellite radio component and iPod connection is conveniently placed in the glove box away from visibility. Once the iPod is connected, it is controlled completely by the clarion unit.

As for speakers, I decided to stick with clarion. I don't know the exact model of the speakers, but they are 6x5 component speakers. I still have the stock tweeters. And here's what is in the trunk:

The sub woofer is a 10" kicker CVT. I went with this speaker due to the limited amount of space that is in our trunks and the CVT is a shallow mount. The CVT is powered by a two channel 800 watt power acoustic amp and the door speakers are powered by a four channel 1200 watt power acoustic amp. In the future, I plan to make the trunk along with the trim around the clarion unit look a little nicer, but for right now, it does it's job.

All in all, this stereo system is everthing that I could want in more. It allows me to do basically anything and it sounds AMAZING! Any questions or comments are welcome!
Old 08-18-10, 10:31 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job! Did you do the install yourself? If not where did you get it installed. Your nav looks original-You are saying that is a replacement screen? Does the head unit not have a built-in mic for the phone? You pretty much have everything I'd like to have-maybe someday.
Old 08-18-10, 10:47 PM
renatodato
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's beautiful.
Old 08-18-10, 10:52 PM
jnguyenlex
Driver School Candidate

Wow...that car is perfect. I usually don't like SC's but damn.
Old 08-19-10, 12:24 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Phenomenal job. Looks great everywhere.

Our sound system is really the only thing I'm unhappy with on this car. I'd love to change out the underperforming ML system, but I just don't have the guts that you do.
Old 08-19-10, 01:01 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Hey, I was wondering how your system was getting along - LOOKING GOOD!! And it must sond great too! Lot's of nifty features! MUCH better than stock, and I'm sure it cost less than the stock system.

Rims look cool too! My rims should be here this week or next week (ordered back in late April). Not the same , but the same 2-tone color scheme, and even our cars have the same color combo.

Just minutes ago I finally finished constructing my subwoofer box (soldering, cutting, screwing, gluiing, drilling). Working on the system every night this past week. Dynamat and door speakers is on my 'to do' list this weekend. Hopefully I'll have tunes working this Sunday. And just like you, I still have to do the finishing touches with the trimmings.

What are your plans to trim the trunk with? I was thinking (and my stuff is not in the trunk, but back seat) to do it in suede or even martching wood. For now, it'll just have to be good ole MDF

Too bad you don't live in So Cal. I'd really love to check out your system. Great job! Enjoy!
Old 08-19-10, 02:08 AM
carbuff
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Very well done! Congratulations.
Old 08-19-10, 04:06 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You are doing a helleva job, keep on goin'.
Old 08-19-10, 04:07 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

T119,
Beautiful ride. Very tasteful. Gotta say I really like those two tone rims!

Questions on the awesome Clarion install:
1) Is the original ML amp still in the trunk?

2) Is the ML amp needed once you get the new head unit in place to run other systems?
Old 08-19-10, 06:46 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very clean job, any issues with the screen and head unit covers? Can you still open and close everything with the buttons. Any luck with steering wheel controls? Mind sharing aprox cost on the audio system & install?
Old 08-19-10, 06:54 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking good, just need a drop and you're good to go.
Old 08-19-10, 07:08 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Rotor
Looking good, just need a drop and you're good to go.
x2.. car is very nice i love the color combo
Old 08-19-10, 07:45 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very nice. the wheels look great. i few things that would make it even better:

1) a drop. preferably on tein cs coilovers. or with springs if they're out of your budget.

2) either red out the taillights or get '06+. red tint will run about $20-$30. 06+ lights cost $600+. personally, i prefer redding them out. i think it looks cleaner. but most seem to prefer the 06+ lights.

3) it looks like you have some ghosting from de-badging. a little hand polish and wax should get it out. i'd highly recommend zaino products. they're only available online.
Old 08-19-10, 07:53 AM
dracip
Driver School Candidate

Awesome! Do you have the size of yours wheels (20 x ? ), and the offset? They look great relative to the fenders!
Old 08-19-10, 09:37 AM
t119
Rookie

Solman,

I did not install the system myself. A local shop called Bluezonics did the install. They just opened but were the only people that were willing to even attempt an install like this. I am very satisfied with they're price and service and would recommend them to anyone I know.

The mic for the bluetooth is located pretty close to the ignition. You will notice it if you look closely at the pictures of the dash.

And the screen where the nav used to be is aftermarket. It is non-touch screen and only serves as monitor for video (iPod or DVD).

Peter_Klim,

I really love my wheels. I think they accent the car very well. If your wheels are similar, I'm sure that you will be satisfied with them!

As far as the trunk, I plan to make it completely useless by covering it in a black plexiglass to make it resemble this:

I look forward to seeing the finished product of your system!

tfeni52355,

Thank you! The ML is still in the car but is not hooked up and is needed for anything in the car. The reason it is still in there is because the installers said it was a huge hassle to get out but if I had someone interested in buying it, they would take it out for me for no additional cost. Actually, the ML amp is only compatible with other ML products, so I had to buy an amp to power my aftermarket components.

KaiserSea1,

There is no issue with the the closing panels on the dash. The only "nav" button that still works is the tilt button, So i still have tilt features. To open and close the top panel now, I have a button that has been installed in the ash tray (right next to my video bypass button) that both opens and closes the top panel. The lower panel is still operated by the original button.

As far as steering wheel controls, I don't think there is a solution :/

If you are interested in the cost, PM me. I will tell you this though, I had to choose whether i wanted to do this system first or do coilovers and tails.

Liquid SC,

I plan on doing the coilovers and tint sometime before the winter. And i appreciate the recommendation on the detailing products. I do need to fix the ghosting left my the emblems!

dracip,

The wheels are lexani lss-5's. They are 20x8.5 in the front and 20x10 in the rear. They are wrapped in nitto invo tires.

Quick Reply: Her first photo shoot + new audio system