SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Interior roof gap

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-02, 06:10 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Interior roof gap

While riding with me this afternoon, my wife commented that the gap where the roof meets the windshield was wider on the passenger side than on the driver side. In fact, I am able to put my fingers into the passenger side joint at the point where the roof hooks to the windshield frame. On the driver side, my fingers will not fit into the gap. My guess is that there is a 1/4" to 3/8" difference. With the top down, it also appears that the rubber gasket on top of the windshield in compressed in a two inch area adjacent to the same area on the passenger side, but is not as compressed on the driver side. From the outside, the roof appears to seal evenly against the windshield frame on both sides.

Is this normal, or is it something I should have my dealer check out? (Of course, the obvious solution would be to stop putting my fingers in the gap!!!)
Old 07-11-02, 07:37 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hmmmm

I'll have to take a look at mine.. I honestly don't know if I have the same issue but I sort of doubt it..

I would take it to the dealer asap to have them take a look at it and let you know what they think! It doesn't sound right!
Old 07-11-02, 11:32 PM
TOPLEXS
Driver

Cool

Sounds like you need to go in for some service. My roof fits tightly and evenly along the entire joint. Sounds like one of the automatic jack screws is not pulling the roof down tightly. Take a look from the outside and see if the top is latched tightly and securely. Could be an issue at freeway speeds. Go ASAP to the dealership.
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-02, 05:11 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I've noticed that the gap on my passenger side is a little wider than on my driver side as well, but the roof is very secure from inside and outside. When i close the roof I can hear it latch on to the windshield so i know it is latched on. From the outside the seal between the windshield and roof tight without any gaps. If the seal on your car has a gap on the outside and feels loose than you should have it checked out.
Old 07-14-02, 08:19 AM
stevelaw
Driver

Default Thanks for the feedback

Took my car to Lexus yesterday. Although the service rep didn't think it was a problem, his "team leader" mechanic took a look at it and says the roof is not pulling as tight on the passenger side as on the driver side. Even from the outside, while there is no gap, the rubber gasket is not compressed as much as on the driver side.

They are going to research the issue and will be working on the car next week.
Old 07-23-02, 03:32 PM
stevelaw
Driver

Default Update on roof gap

Spoke with my service rep today. Last week another SC430 came in with the exact same problem (wide gap on the interior passenger side joint for the roof). Per Lexus, they believe it is a problem with the way the gasket is sealing when the top meets the windshield. They are replacing the gasket on that car, and will be doing the same on mine next week. You might want to check that roof gap (see my initial post for more detail)
Old 07-23-02, 03:39 PM
Phu
Pole Position

thanks for the info, I'm going to have my service guys look at it ASAP.
Old 07-23-02, 08:50 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys for putting this post together.. I just checked mine for any abnormalities.. No issue so far but I will put this thread in the FAQ..
Old 07-25-02, 04:29 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Now thats fast!!!!
Old 05-18-09, 09:32 AM
naked
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone ever figure out what the fix for this problem is? I have the same gap on my passenger-side roof. Thanks much!
The following users liked this post:
Dulcinea (09-28-23)
Old 05-18-09, 11:06 PM
Turboo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by naked
Anyone ever figure out what the fix for this problem is? I have the same gap on my passenger-side roof. Thanks much!
My car have same problem!!
any recomandations
Old 05-19-09, 03:13 AM
joetimm
Driver School Candidate

Same problem also on the passenger side.
Old 08-31-09, 02:32 PM
naked
Driver School Candidate

thoughts anyone? Thanks
Old 09-01-09, 05:28 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPLEXS
Sounds like you need to go in for some service. My roof fits tightly and evenly along the entire joint. Sounds like one of the automatic jack screws is not pulling the roof down tightly. Take a look from the outside and see if the top is latched tightly and securely. Could be an issue at freeway speeds. Go ASAP to the dealership.
+1 TOPLEXS, any roof issue, straight to the dealer
Old 09-30-09, 11:49 AM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My 2002 has been that way since I first read this posting. Fits tight on the outside so I never took it in as the warranty had expired. Been that way for years. I think this if pretty common from what I read.

Quick Reply: Interior roof gap