SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How "harsh" is too harsh of a ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-10, 08:48 AM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How "harsh" is too harsh of a ride?

I was thinking my 02 SC was too harsh because of the run flats, but come to find out, I don't have run flats.

Is the ride in general harsh over bumps/cracks in the pavement? Or should I have the suspension checked out?

On flat smooth roads the car drives great (no pull or shakes), but every crack seems jarring.
Old 07-18-10, 10:21 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I experienced the same thing as you when I purchased an '02 430. I was always told it was "normal" for a 430 and that there was nothing wrong.

But there was one thing that was very wrong, and that was that the horrible ride interfered with my overall enjoyment of the car. I knew I could never "get used" to a car that couldn't withstand a minimal crack in the pavement. Every crack was felt and heard, sometimes to the point of making my ashtray pop open. I also found out that the car I had purchased had been involved in two accidents, one of which I wasn't aware of. However, this supposedly had nothing to do with the bad suspension.

But because of all of these negative things, I finally traded the car in for an '07 that was a CPO and is warranted for 6 years. I lost about $7k on the deal, but at least I'm happy now.

The '07 rides significantly better than the '02. It's still a "firm" ride, but acceptable. You're never going to have a soft, luxurious ride in an SC convertible. At least, not in the way I'd define it (like a sedan-type ride).

With this being said, you do need to have your lower control arms (and bushings) checked, as they apparently have a history of cracking. Some have reported that having this problem corrected made a world of difference in their suspension.

Last edited by TooCoolSC; 07-18-10 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-18-10, 02:13 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Mine too. An '03. Ride is terrible over anything but the smoothest surface.

I need to change the summer tires (runflats) to all season pretty soon here. Probably mid august. I'm leaning towards Michelin pilot a/s plus and hoping that getting away from the runflats and on to michelins from bridgestones will significantly improve road comfort without sacrificing feel.
Old 07-18-10, 03:00 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Also check the inflation level on your tires. If they are over inflated, the ride will be harsh. Go by the numbers on your door frame.
Old 07-18-10, 03:15 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

I've had my 02 for 2 years now and I get slight to moderate vibrations when travling 50-60 mph. I think it's from flat spots in my tires because if I drive it more than once a week it's not as bad. Maybe the rims are bent? I'll know for sure when my new tires/rims come in this week.

But to the OP, what is "too harsh" can be quite subjective. What were your previous cars and what kind of ride or car were you expecting the SC430 to compare too? When I had my IS300, I had a friend tell me that my stock shocks were worn out because the ride to him was harsh, but to me it was the best ride I ever felt in a car. That's how it was designed to ride.
Old 07-18-10, 03:19 PM
WISLUGGO
Rookie

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
I've had my 02 for 2 years now and I get slight to moderate vibrations when travling 50-60 mph. I think it's from flat spots in my tires because if I drive it more than once a week it's not as bad. Maybe the rims are bent? I'll know for sure when my new tires/rims come in this week.

But to the OP, what is "too harsh" can be quite subjective. What were your previous cars and what kind of ride or car were you expecting the SC430 to compare too? When I had my IS300, I had a friend tell me that my stock shocks were worn out because the ride to him was harsh, but to me it was the best ride I ever felt in a car. That's how it was designed to ride.
I agree this is a subjective issue, but it seems like every little crack in the road is felt, sometimes very strongly.

I get no squeaks or noises when driving so maybe this is normal. I will ask my mechanic to look at the bushings and control arms just to make sure.
Old 07-18-10, 08:14 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

how many miles on the tires, how's the treadwear...is it even, what % of the tread is remaining? Does the car pull at all or "hop" up and down at higher speeds? Tire pressure is key...let us know
Old 07-18-10, 11:27 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KBALL
Mine too. An '03. Ride is terrible over anything but the smoothest surface.

I need to change the summer tires (runflats) to all season pretty soon here. Probably mid august. I'm leaning towards Michelin pilot a/s plus and hoping that getting away from the runflats and on to michelins from bridgestones will significantly improve road comfort without sacrificing feel.
Originally Posted by Harold57
Also check the inflation level on your tires. If they are over inflated, the ride will be harsh. Go by the numbers on your door frame.
Ok. I feel like a putz. The Lexus dealer serviced the car june 22. Just checked tire pressure...41psi cold!

Though it is 100+ degrees in my garage. Just took it down to 35psi. Door says 33.

Putz out.
Old 07-19-10, 04:07 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

short wheelbase combined with the effort to make a "sporty" handling vehicle makes for a rough ride. I dont mind it though; every car i've had in the past 12 years has been rough riding and much more so than the SC.
Old 07-19-10, 05:01 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I have an 06 and also found the ride to be hard. I finally rid the car of the runflats and installed Michelin PS A/S plus and the ride dramatically improved.
I think in this instance,t he runflats were the problem. But after reading mags like CAR & DRIVER, I don't think they are the problem in all cars. BMW 3 series
(I think the 5 series also) is shipped with RFT's and they never once complained about harsh rides. I guess it depends how the suspension is tuned. BMW seems to know how to negate the hardness of RFT's and lexus does not. I don't know why.
Old 07-19-10, 07:19 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

once I went with conventional tires with nitrogen, all the harsh, stiff bumps went away and I got what I call a 'sports ride.'

you feel the road, the roll and grip of the tires.
I like this ride. firm, responsive and precise.
Old 07-19-10, 01:46 PM
rking11
Driver School Candidate

Default Run flats & BMW

I leased a bmw 335 with rft. The ride was so bad I terminated the lease early. I'm not alone. Pleanty of people have complained about rfts on their bmw's and many have opted to replace the rft with convential radials.
Old 07-20-10, 01:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
I have an 06 and also found the ride to be hard. I finally rid the car of the runflats and installed Michelin PS A/S plus and the ride dramatically improved.
I think in this instance,t he runflats were the problem. But after reading mags like CAR & DRIVER, I don't think they are the problem in all cars. BMW 3 series
(I think the 5 series also) is shipped with RFT's and they never once complained about harsh rides. I guess it depends how the suspension is tuned. BMW seems to know how to negate the hardness of RFT's and lexus does not. I don't know why.
Yes the runflats are only part of the problem with the harsh ride of the SC430, the bigger problem is the badly tuned suspension. The Japanese just don't know how to tune suspension, is like how BMW don't know how to make their cars reliable and long lasting. It is just their weak point, you take your pick, bad suspension or bad reliability. I rather have the bad ride then be stranded on the side of the road. I just saw a brand new M3 sitting on the side of the road with the driver looking very frustrated. It doesn't look like he parked there voluntary on a busy street with no shoulder blocking traffic.
Old 07-20-10, 06:23 PM
HVisone
Rookie

the 2007 provides a softer ride, but the car tends to wallow more in corners and is far less precise....
The 2005 definently needds better sway bars.....and i think the spring shock is too stiff to try to compensate for the lack of the better sway or roll bar

Personally, I get a much better feel for the road, as well as better input with the steering in the 2005, except for the body roll. With better sway bars, they could soften the springs and shock, and the car would handle the same in the corners, without nearly being so bad on the bumps....but...

Ultimately, that will always be something of a trade off....soft over bumps vs quick precise steering and handling in the corners

One thing I have wondered is the shock absorbers...if edelbrock made one of the their specials just for the SC, much of the bump in the bump, might go away....and the edelbrock have special valving to respond to jolts as distinguished from the more gradual forces generated in taking a curve...

Last edited by HVisone; 07-20-10 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 06:29 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by HVisone
Ultimately, that will always be something of a trade off....soft over bumps vs quick precise steering and handling in the corners
I disagreed. BMW figured it out how to do it, perfect handling with perfect ride quality. So it is not impossible, just VERY hard to do.

Quick Reply: How "harsh" is too harsh of a ride?