SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 slower than IS350!!

Old 07-21-10, 08:37 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastmensch
a $20k 03 svt cobra mustang w/light mods puts down 450 hp / 475 tq to the rear wheels...now that is fast...but like others have said on this thread, not smooth, loud, harsh etc etc but it will smoke a sti...
That's what I mean, you don't look for speed from a Lexus. Is like getting a super model girlfriend and want her to cook and clean, is not gonna happen, is not the design intent
Old 07-21-10, 08:42 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by howdybob22
He may have backed off. To race on public road beyond the triple digit just does not make any sense (just over the weekend a kid wrap his car around a telephone pole - doa). There's a good chance that things could go wrong. And when it does, you're be lucky if you just kill yourself. If not, you're kill/hurt someone else. Then your butt get to goto jail and their family will sue you for all you have. Take your sc430 to the track, I'm sure there will be a lot of IS350, G37 and 335i there. Then make your claim.
+1

happened to me just last week a 6 series was behind me in traffic and when able I squeezed out and pulled away up to 80mph. When he caught up and passed me he was doing at least 120. I am thinking speed limit is 70 I top out at 80, he was thinking he won something.
Old 07-21-10, 08:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

He may have backed off. To race on public road beyond the triple digit just does not make any sense (just over the weekend a kid wrap his car around a telephone pole - doa). There's a good chance that things could go wrong. And when it does, you're be lucky if you just kill yourself. If not, you're kill/hurt someone else. Then your butt get to goto jail and their family will sue you for all you have. Take your sc430 to the track, I'm sure there will be a lot of IS350, G37 and 335i there. Then make your claim.
Now let's not get into the whole street racing is bad thing, it is pointless. Street racing is just like all other addictions that is bad for you, it is all about your mentality, either you are into it or not. We all know it is bad, but boy it sure does feels good, and most of us are competitive when we drive.

It is a bad habit, but you can't talk people out of it, people would only lose interest over time or grow out of it. I used to be a VERY hardcore street racer, I am not proud of it, but I was. Now I grew out of it, just losing my fire as I grow old, you know I am not into it by seeing I drive a LS430 daily.....haha.....that is the opposite of a racer car

My point is, it is pointless to tell people street racing is bad, because street racer don't care, especially from someone telling them on a forum
Old 07-21-10, 08:57 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re-editing.
My bad I guess for mentioned about the street racing thing (the kid on the news over the weekend just stuck in my mind when I saw SCORPIO post). We all know better as most of us are 40+ so no need to mention more. I too drive a stock SC and at time I swear it handle like a Buick. But as KAISERSEA1 mentioned earlier, all that are forgiving due to the other strong points of the SC.

My point is that there are variety of conditions which may make a person backing off after certain points (ie fear of Law man - pretty hefty fine or just other folks on the road). So if the guy is backing off, how are you going to make claims? The track conditions are more control and racers go all out here. Claims here are more appropriate.

Last edited by howdybob22; 07-21-10 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 09:59 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpio74
The breakdown...

SC430 beat G37 coupe...
G37 coupe beat IS350...
=> sc430 beat IS350...there's the answer.
Sorry to keep chiming into this topic, but I start to get twitchy when I see blatantly incorrect information.

No, the G37 coupe is not faster than an IS350. You won't find a single independent test with that result.

Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motortrend, zeroto60times, torquestats, dragtimes (bone stock 1/4 miles), Edmunds will all come to the conclusion that the IS350 is faster than the G37 coupe.

Even though you were wrong on that front, your other point that the SC430 would dominate an IS350 high up (I'm talking, 120 MPH rolls) is still probably correct, but your logic was faulty because one of your premises was incorrect.
Old 07-21-10, 10:04 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

You'd have to go beyond 100 mph for the SC430 to be faster, not 70 mph. Down the quarter mile, the IS still traps higher than the SC.
Old 07-21-10, 10:17 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Prestige77
Still not buying the claim that the IS stock is 20% faster than Lexus reports. Lexus tested the cars on the same track same conditions and found the IS 350 only .3 faster than the 02 SC430 .2 current and the IS350C slower. With more horsepower and less weight the IS is a hair faster, not much of an advance. In convertible form with less weight the higher HP IS loses. I will take the V8
Do without a buzzing engine. The real question is with over 300 hp and a six speed why can the lighter IS 350 not outperform a last gen 288Hp 5 speed by more than a couple tenths?

IS350 can't do this

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/v...ble-entendres/
Lexus themselves cite the IS350s 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds now, not 5.6. Guess what has changed to the engine? Nothing. They simply decided that 5.6 was too conservative for them.

Here's a direct quote from Lexus themselves -

"The IS 350 RWD model can accelerate from zero-to-60 mph in just 5.3 seconds. Both engines employ dual Variable Valve Timing with intelligence (VVT-i), which controls timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts."

It has not been updated on Lexus.com, which is where you guys were getting your information, but again, it doesn't even matter for the reasons I've described in previous posts.

Next, nobody claimed the IS350 is "20% faster" than what Lexus cites.

Lexus cites the IS350's 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds. Independent tests show a range between 4.8 and 5.2, with the technical average to be 4.95 (two of them are 4.9 - AOL Autos had simply been using Lexus' official number, which seems silly to consider again for the reasons I described previously)

People are saying the IS350 is about 6% quicker than what Lexus officially cites.

5.3 * .06 = .318
5.3 - .318 = Average 0 to 60 times cited by every major independent review out there

Honestly this thread has turned somewhat into a train wreck. I'm seeing SC430 drivers start bringing in the "class" arguments with steak analogies. Now, SC430 drivers are bringing to consideration cars that aren't even relevant to the original topic at hand.

"But, but IS350 isn't real speed! You have to go to an $80K tuned GT-R for that"

I'm starting to sense some underlying insecurities here.

Nobody once stated that the IS350 was fast in an absolute sense - not once. The original topic had to do with the IS350's acceleration versus the SC430's acceleration. It appears as though when you guys can't "win" that argument, it's apparently time to find other ways to downplay the issue by shifting the focus to irrelevant comparisons.

Last edited by syzygy; 07-21-10 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 10:29 AM
syzygy
Lexus Champion

To the guy claiming that the SC430 will beat an IS350 "from 70MPH", my question is, 70 MPH to what, because I'll throw some numbers at you from one of the sites that makes a direct comparison regarding this issue -

SC430 60 MPH to 100 MPH roll = 10.2 seconds
IS350 60 MPH to 100 MPH roll = 7.8 seconds
IS-F 60 MPH to 100 MPH roll = 6.3 seconds

Torquestats.com , check it out.
Old 07-21-10, 11:51 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by carLx
Honestly this thread has turned somewhat into a train wreck. I'm seeing SC430 drivers start bringing in the "class" arguments with steak analogies. Now, SC430 drivers are bringing to consideration cars that aren't even relevant to the original topic at hand.

"But, but IS350 isn't real speed! You have to go to an $80K tuned GT-R for that"

Nobody once stated that the IS350 was fast in an absolute sense - not once. The original topic had to do with the IS350's acceleration versus the SC430's acceleration. It appears as though when you guys can't "win" that argument, it's apparently time to find other ways to downplay the issue by shifting the focus to irrelevant comparisons.
underlying insecurities? winning the argument?

I always agreed that the IS350 is quicker then the SC430, never tried to argue about that. I was just saying which ever is faster, who cares? They are both dog slow as far as I am concern. Is like arguing which riding lawn mower is faster

The bottom line is, the discussion of acceleration of IS350 vs. SC430 is pointless, because no one cares. I guess I can feel that the IS350 folks cares because they really want us SC430's owners to acknowledge that. So here, I fully concurred. You happy now?

I don't even think the SC430 can pull on the IS350 in the triple digit like some folks have mention, because I think in high speed, higher peak power win, and the IS350 have more peak power. Plus the IS have a lower coefficient of drag then the SC430. I think the IS would win in high speed also.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-21-10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-21-10, 12:02 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry to keep chiming into this topic, but I start to get twitchy when I see blatantly incorrect information.

No, the G37 coupe is not faster than an IS350. You won't find a single independent test with that result.

Road and Track, Car and Driver, Motortrend, zeroto60times, torquestats, dragtimes (bone stock 1/4 miles), Edmunds will all come to the conclusion that the IS350 is faster than the G37 coupe.
You are right, the G37 is weaker. That VQ37 motor is sucky.

Even though you were wrong on that front, your other point that the SC430 would dominate an IS350 high up (I'm talking, 120 MPH rolls) is still probably correct, but your logic was faulty because one of your premises was incorrect.
I don't think so, like I said, I think the IS350 will pull away even harder from a 120 mph roll. But again, it would happen so slow, is like watching paint dry.....122...125....130.....wow 135 OMG......yawn......wake me up when it hit 150, that would take like 10 minutes.
Old 07-21-10, 12:11 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I guess I really shouldn't participate on a speed arguement thread in a Lexus forum, because a few years ago when I was younger I was into some seriously fast cars. That's why I think all Lexus are nothing but luxury lawn mower.

To give a little example:

I was in my friend's modded 996 Turbo Porsche doing 175 mph on the freeway, he was telling me he can slow down if I am scare. I was like scare? This thing is rock solid, keep going, I want to hit 200. He was like no man, that's all the car got. I was like dude, is a 911 Turbo, that's it? He was like yup that's it, he needs more mods!

For me to argue about which Lexus is faster, is like for you guys to discuss if the Civic Si is faster then a Sentra SE-R.

So I apologize for participating, I am sorry, I was bored.

I am going back to the LS forum to talk about which option package comes with nicer leather

Last edited by BNR34; 07-21-10 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 12:31 PM
thejace
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow guys, this thread surpassed my expectations. Gj with the info
Old 07-21-10, 12:32 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

re-editing.
My bad I guess for mentioned about the street racing thing (the kid on the news over the weekend just stuck in my mind when I saw SCORPIO post). We all know better as most of us are 40+ so no need to mention more. I too drive a stock SC and at time I swear it handle like a Buick. But as KAISERSEA1 mentioned earlier, all that are forgiving due to the other strong points of the SC.
Yeah most of us are older here, we all know what the consequences are already, no need to mention it anymore. It is good to tell the younger folks, but just like most things, they won't listen until they hit the wall. I am so glad I got over it without killing myself, or anyone. I didn't even got any big ticket, I guess I was very lucky and careful.

My point is that there are variety of conditions which may make a person backing off after certain points (ie fear of Law man - pretty hefty fine or just other folks on the road). So if the guy is backing off, how are you going to make claims?
100% agreed. That is call a ricer fly by, pass the faster car after he shutted down

The track conditions are more control and racers go all out here. Claims here are more appropriate.
The track is a whole other few levels higher though, it is hard to go out there, it takes a huge amount of time, effort and money to track a car. And most street cars are not build to withstand the abuse on a track day. So most street racer never made it to the track, they just race a guy or 2 on their daily commute. I experienced it, I thoughts I was king of the street, smoked everyone I encounter, so I started doing track days......after 6 track days or so, I retired. It takes so much more to race on the track, a set of tire last 2 days, brake pads last 1 day. At the end of the day, you are happy that the engine haven't blow up yet. Track day is serious money. I am not even going to go into most insurance companies don't cover accident on a track.
Old 07-21-10, 01:12 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spot on observation. I think that element should spend more time in the "Car Chat" forum, where there is less bias and an appreciation for most things on 4 wheels, and you can have critical discussions without guys taking things personally if they happen to own the topic car.
I think it's an underlying lack of acceptance of the SC430's intended purpose, performance-wise, and a frustration that there's really nothing that can be done about it from an aftermarket sense.
Old 07-21-10, 05:58 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by BNR34
I guess I really shouldn't participate on a speed arguement thread in a Lexus forum, because a few years ago when I was younger I was into some seriously fast cars. That's why I think all Lexus are nothing but luxury lawn mower.

To give a little example:

I was in my friend's modded 996 Turbo Porsche doing 175 mph on the freeway, he was telling me he can slow down if I am scare. I was like scare? This thing is rock solid, keep going, I want to hit 200. He was like no man, that's all the car got. I was like dude, is a 911 Turbo, that's it? He was like yup that's it, he needs more mods!

For me to argue about which Lexus is faster, is like for you guys to discuss if the Civic Si is faster then a Sentra SE-R.

So I apologize for participating, I am sorry, I was bored.

I am going back to the LS forum to talk about which option package comes with nicer leather
Interesting. I rode in the LFA on the track and its a "Lexus" and is on par with the best made today.
But hey, its just a regular CF, V-10, 3300, Ceramic Brake Lexus

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC430 slower than IS350!!