SC430 slower than IS350!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 11:57 AM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
I'm a little lost...

Your SC430 beat a G37. So how does the IS350 fit in this story?
The breakdown...

SC430 beat G37 coupe...
G37 coupe beat IS350...
=> sc430 beat IS350...there's the answer.
Old 07-20-10, 12:05 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
G37 is 200lbs lighter and 30hp more.
Assuming you are talking about the convertible and not the coupe, the G37 is a little over 200 lbs heavier then a SC430.
Old 07-20-10, 12:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Of course Toyota is putting a better designed transmission and engine in the IS, because times have changed and they need to keep up with the competition. You have V6s that rivals the output of V8s a decade ago, and the IS350 and SC430 are no exception. It's nonsense to think the SC gets all the goodies just because it cost more. The two cars belong in different generations so it's not hard to believe that the IS gets a newer drivetrain.

You pay more for the convertible feature, interior quality, and exclusivity in the SC430, not performance.

Care to explain why the engine/transmission is better in the SC430 than the IS350? I am very familiar with the V8 UZ-series engine since I work on my own extensively, but I would be blind to think it's better because it was Toyota's gem engine.

And another thing to note, your transmission is the exact same one that came with the Lexus IS300, yes, the car that cost half the price
Agreed 100%. Newer hardwares always offer better performance and higher efficiency. But not refinements. Even though the newer lower end hardwares comes with better performance, the refinement level is still lower then the older higher end hardwares

The SC430 have a high price tag is because it is a highend model, but it's outdated drivetrain's performance have been surpassed by newer low end models.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-20-10 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 12:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Gang-I think we are comparing apples and pineapples here! 350ISC vs SC430 vs G37 Convertible YES, but comparing a 300lb lighter v-6 sedan with modern tech, tranny etc to a much older 2002 SC GT convertible with no manumatic or paddles, a V-8 etc is bananas!! I have driven all three 300hp cars and the G/IS in sedans, coupe and convertible and have to say that they are all relatively "fast" but the newer cars with the more sophisticated tranny would win. G37 is 200lbs lighter and 30hp more. With a good launch, the SC wouldn't have a chance! We are splitting hairs on the data but the bottom line is that these are not equal comparisons.

I think we've exhausted the discussions on what the SC is NOT and I believe us SC'ers love it not for the speed, but the beauty, craftmanship, dependability and style/class. I would imagine IS sedan owners love it for the tech, speed, sportiness and utility (4 door, rear seats, AWD in some, etc). What would the SC460 or SC570 be like if it had come out? Who knows. Different generations, models, etc.

Can't compare the two...sorry!
Bravo, you summed it all up for us perfectly!

To me, each car or each brand of car offer something different. To me, companies like Lexus and BMW offer what I call "feel good cars", their cars feels really nice, but none of them are "FAST". You own them for the refinements, not for the speed. Even the LFA, relatively speaking, the acceleration it offer is pretty low for $400k. The LFA is also about feels, the sensation. Is like what Ferrari was always about, only until recently their power level got to be so high that they are actually pretty fast now.

To me, Lexus is for that luxury serene feelings, is for amenities. It is absurd to talk about speed in a Lexus.

When I want speed, I look for it from cars like the Nissan GTR, WRX STi, EVO.....but then I won't expect any refinements or luxury amenities from those cars, they are just cheap economy cars with a hardcore drivetrain. Even the $83k GTR feels cheap inside and out.

Comparing speed in a Lexus is like comparing refinements and amenities in a Nissan GTR, it is absurd because that is not their design intent and they simply don't have it.

When I want speed, this is the minimum that I required, 3.1 and 10.7, even the ISF or LFA, don't feel fast to me, they simply don't have that rush an acceleration addict needs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMx_i...layer_embedded

Last edited by BNR34; 07-20-10 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 01:00 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Before you guys all think I am a typical sissy Lexus driver that doesn't know what speed is, trust me I am a speed freak when I want it

I owned a 450 hp Nissan R34 GTR that does low 12s in the 1/4 and I still owns a 350 hp WRX STi that does high 12s, even as fast as those cars are, every time I drive them when I feel the need for speed, they never feels fast enough for me because I need a huge amount of speed to satisfy my appetite.

But when I drive my SC430 with the top down on the pacific coast highway, the speed the stock drivetrain offer is enough for me, and it is a mid 14s car.

What I am trying to say is, I drive each car with a different mentality. When I drive the SC430, I enjoys the refinements, the sounds, the feels and looks of the car, the soft leather and amazing looking wood. I am not looking for much acceleration. But when I drive a GTR or STi, I don't care how cheap the plastic looks in the interior or how bad it sounds (my STi sounds like crap), all I want is speed and it better have A LOT of it.

Of course it would be nice to have the best of both world, refinements/luxuries and speed. That would be a 911 Turbo S or Bentley Continental Supersports. Unfortunately they are 3~4 times the cost of the SC430 or a GTR

This proved that nothing is free, for $70k~$80k, you can only have luxury or speed, not both.

Last edited by BNR34; 07-20-10 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 01:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Even the newer lower end hardwares comes with better performance, the refinement level is still lower then the older higher end hardwares
Bingo! As nice as those V6 are, I still love the smoothness of my V8. Even with new engine mounts, I could still feel the V6 running hard where as the V8 is silky smooth regardless of how much throttle you give it!

Last edited by GSteg; 07-20-10 at 01:42 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 01:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Bingo! As nice as those V6 are, I still love the smoothness of my V8. Even with new engine mounts, I could still feel the V6 running hard where as the V8 is silky smooth regardless of how much throttle you give it!
100% correct. High cylinder counts defines smoothness and also sounds. No amount of technologies can make a V6 "feels" smooth like a V8 or make that sweet pleasant V8 sounds. Just like how a V8 would never be as smooth as a V10 or V12.

In terms of speed, my 4-cylinders turbo STi smokes my SC430 hard, like you can't even see the tail lights hard. But the STi is REALLY rough and sounds like crap.
Old 07-20-10, 02:56 PM
Prestige77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
but it's outdated drivetrain's performance have been surpassed by newer low end models.
Still not buying the claim that the IS stock is 20% faster than Lexus reports. Lexus tested the cars on the same track same conditions and found the IS 350 only .3 faster than the 02 SC430 .2 current and the IS350C slower. With more horsepower and less weight the IS is a hair faster, not much of an advance. In convertible form with less weight the higher HP IS loses. I will take the V8
Do without a buzzing engine. The real question is with over 300 hp and a six speed why can the lighter IS 350 not outperform a last gen 288Hp 5 speed by more than a couple tenths?

IS350 can't do this

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/v...ble-entendres/

Last edited by Prestige77; 07-20-10 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-20-10, 03:05 PM
Prestige77
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=BNR34;5654943]

When I want speed, I look for it from cars like the Nissan GTR, WRX STi,

When I want speed, this is the minimum that I required, 3.1 and 10.7, even the ISF or LFA, don't feel fast to me, they simply don't have that rush an acceleration addict needs.

[URL]

Test drove both cars, scared me to death. 3.1 minimum? Now I feel old.
Old 07-20-10, 03:33 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Prestige77
The real question is with over 300 hp and a six speed why can the lighter IS 350 not outperform a last gen 288Hp 5 speed by more than a couple tenths?

Because it takes a lot more power to shave off a tenth of a second going from 0-60 than the quarter mile. The lower the time, the harder it is to get there. Getting a car that does 0-60 in 7.0 seconds down to 6.8 is a lot easier than 5.0 seconds down to 4.8. The power required to take off a certain time is not linear, rather something that looks like exponential curve.
Old 07-20-10, 03:40 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Still not buying the claim that the IS stock is 20% faster than Lexus reports. Lexus tested the cars on the same track same conditions and found the IS 350 only .3 faster than the 02 SC430 .2 current and the IS350C slower. With more horsepower and less weight the IS is a hair faster, not much of an advance. In convertible form with less weight the higher HP IS loses. I will take the V8
Do without a buzzing engine. The real question is with over 300 hp and a six speed why can the lighter IS 350 not outperform a last gen 288Hp 5 speed by more than a couple tenths?
From my real world seat of the pants, magazine test data and specs of the cars suggest, IS350 and SC430 6-speeds are neck to neck in the 1/4, if the IS is quicker, is just a by a hair. I think mostly the IS "feels" a lot quicker due to the sporty feels of the car, it is actually not that much quicker. Is like how a really stiff and loud race car can "feels" a lot faster then a really quiet Rolls Royces, "feels" and "real speed" are 2 different thing.

For the question of why the IS350 is not that much quicker then a SC430, a few factors that few people consider.....yeah the SC is 300lbs heavier and the IS350 make more power. But it is only slightly more at the very top, plus the SC's V8 makes a tons more low end torque, at 3~4k rpm, the V8 is making 30~60 more lb-ft of torque. So as that video above shown, they are really neck to neck from 0-100 mph.
Old 07-20-10, 03:53 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Test drove both cars, scared me to death. 3.1 minimum? Now I feel old.
It all depends on how much acceleration you crave, how much you are used to, how obsessed and addicted you are.

Acceleration is like all good sensations available, sugar rush, drugs, alcohol, sex.....etc. The more obsessed you are and the more you hit it, the more tolerance you build up. Since I am a huge fan of acceleration, it takes a lot to satisfy me. Is like if I haven't driven my STi for a few weeks, it feels REALLY quick when I get back into it, but only for the first 20 minutes or so, then the tolerance build up and it doesn't feel quick anymore. And my STi does 0-60 in 4.4~4.5 or so.

So for an acceleration addict like me to not feeling a car being slow, the car needs to be scary fast. I have been in 1000 hp cars, that never feels slow regardless of how many times I floor it
Old 07-20-10, 04:01 PM
scorpio74
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ Well said. IS350 will get killed at the speed of 70 or higher. NA V8 will blow away the is350 at higher speed. The higher the speed, the slower the is350 will become compare to the sc430.
It goes the same for the GS350 tries to race my 06 gs430 at speed of 80 or higher. I killed them every time.
Old 07-21-10, 06:24 AM
Fastmensch
Driver School Candidate

a $20k 03 svt cobra mustang w/light mods puts down 450 hp / 475 tq to the rear wheels...now that is fast...but like others have said on this thread, not smooth, loud, harsh etc etc but it will smoke a sti...
Old 07-21-10, 08:34 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scorpio74
OK, I just smoked the new Infiniti coupe G37 yesterday on the highway. I was going about 65-70 when this young guy approached really fast from behind. He slowed down to match my speed and looked over. We both knew what to do. I put my gear in manual mode and hit the gas. Both cars were parallel up to 100 and that was it for him. After the 100 mile mark, the sc430 took over big time. I hit 120 and he was about 10-15 cars behind.
So to say the IS350 is faster is nonsense!
He may have backed off. To race on public road beyond the triple digit just does not make any sense (just over the weekend a kid wrap his car around a telephone pole - doa). There's a good chance that things could go wrong. And when it does, you're be lucky if you just kill yourself. If not, you're kill/hurt someone else. Then your butt get to goto jail and their family will sue you for all you have. Take your sc430 to the track, I'm sure there will be a lot of IS350, G37 and 335i there. Then make your claim.

Quick Reply: SC430 slower than IS350!!