SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

How do I get a more throaty growl SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 10:34 AM
justinbig8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S1 Soarer if your ever in the Newport Beach area you can check mine out. What i did was take the resonators out, put in a magnaflow right behind the cats, then straight pipes out. i think it sounds amazing. i was a little iffy on the idea, but way happy i did it
Old 06-24-10, 07:13 PM
S1 Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thx Justinbig8, I'll have to take you up on your offer when I'm headed out that way. Be a nice cruise up to Newport Beach.
Old 06-24-10, 07:22 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

S1 Soarer, are you in San Diego? I am in Del Mar, I want to hear a SC430 with a little louder exhaust also.
Old 06-24-10, 07:27 PM
Glock3540
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
I tried with the mufflers and resonators off and it was terrible, I would not recommend it. I Just deleted my mufflers

if you are looking for a g35/37 sound then just get free flowing mufflers and call it a day.

with the set up that I am running (2.25 in piping straight from the resonators back) I am louder than a mustang GT and it does attract some attention, but it has never been from cops (knock on wood). but I have gotten a lot of looks like "is that sound really coming from a lexus?" Almost everyone who has heard it, including my father that usually hates exhausts says they like it and it sounds like a V8 should.
I agree with "Pop". Your You Tube video of your exhaust is only 6 seconds long but it sounds better than any of the "custom" exhausts I have heard for the SC430.
Did you add resonator tips on the back also?
I have heard straight piped cars (muffler delete) that made a "popping" sound that did not sound good. Your car seems not to have this problem.
If you ever get a chance, please make us a new video of your exhaust sound. Maybe sitting still revving?, as well as an in car sound when driving down the road?
Thanks and Great Job on your SC!
Old 06-24-10, 07:42 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lonfrank
ultra smooth???!!! pretty close. best sound is in garage or in underpass. lf ps did i also say cheap fix???!!!
Thank you for your input
Old 06-24-10, 08:07 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

ultra smooth???!!! pretty close. best sound is in garage or in underpass. lf ps did i also say cheap fix???!!!
What does "lf ps" mean?
Old 06-24-10, 08:37 PM
S1 Soarer
Driver School Candidate

Hey wassup BNR34, yea I'm in SD by the SDSU area.
Old 06-28-10, 09:53 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best to have a nice sound with hp gained is to have the stock exhaust system replaced with high flow cats, resonator (recommended), and high flow mufflers. Also run dual 2.5" for the pipes. Most pro-exhaust shops can make a new system for less than $500. You don't need headers if you're on a budget.
Old 06-28-10, 03:39 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by S1 Soarer
Hey wassup BNR34, yea I'm in SD by the SDSU area.
maybe we can go check out Justinbig8's exhaust together someday? If all of our schedule lines up.
Old 06-28-10, 03:46 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by stevechumo
The best to have a nice sound with hp gained is to have the stock exhaust system replaced with high flow cats, resonator (recommended), and high flow mufflers. Also run dual 2.5" for the pipes. Most pro-exhaust shops can make a new system for less than $500. You don't need headers if you're on a budget.
I can probably speak for some of the SC430's owners here, myself included.

The SC430 is just a nice refined luxurious convertible cruiser, all I am looking for is a slightly throatier exhaust note, the stock power is definitely enough. I don't really care for the 5~7 hp gain from a full high flow exhaust, I can't even feel that.

If, when I am looking for a fast car, I will buy a R35 GTR, exhaust/turbo/race gas/tune would give me 650 whp, that is a rush I can feel!
Old 06-28-10, 05:59 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

bnr: if you'r still lookin' for great, cheap sound improvement get your local muffler guy to remove the resonators. keep 'em & get him to replace if you don't like the difference. probably 50bucks each way. i guarantee it!!!! lf
Yes, that is exactly what I am gonna do. Thanks for the advice

Now a days, I want to keep the car as OEM as possible, I am tired of inferior aftermarket parts. I have tried the best and most expensive aftermarket parts, and most of them are still crappy

Last edited by BNR34; 07-02-10 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-02-10, 06:18 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

b34(bingo), please let us know how you like(or dislike) your sc sound w/out the resonators. thanks, lf
Will do Frank
Old 07-12-10, 08:35 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some more videos

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post5635605
Old 09-28-10, 08:03 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just posted a before and after video of my SC430 with and without the Injen Short Ram intake. They're short but hopefully it helps those that are interested. What do you think?

Before: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHhErq_L4nk

After: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XO_kya-z28
Old 11-01-10, 09:58 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

I finally did it, I had the resonators removed from my SC430, here is my report.

The growl got noticeably more throaty, it definitely got louder. But that is comparing to the almost dead silent stock sounds, I say "almost" because my stock LS430 is dead silent, the stock SC430 is a hair louder.

People are right, it is still too quiet for a weekend car, I would probably leave it if the SC is my daily, this is a good setup for a daily where you don't want it annoyingly loud in your commute. I would say it is still a hair quieter then a stock G35, the stock G35 is pretty loud for a stock Japanese car. Now I can mainly hear it when the top is down at low speed, when speed increase, wind noise drone it out and this motor is weird in the sense that it get quieter as it revs up.....too smooth maybe? With the top and windows up, there really not much difference in sounds, this car is so heavily insulated, it needs a lot of volume to be able to hear it inside the cabin. This is the hard part, I want it loud enough so I can hear it inside the car without it being embarrassingly loud on the outside. This is why on the LFA and late model Mustang, they channel the intake and exhaust sounds with tubes into the car so it can be heard inside.

The sounds is really sweet though, small displacement V8 sounds good, now I am hooked, I need to make it louder. I will try removing the stock muffler and put the stock resonators back on. But that set up might have a chance of being too loud for me, if that's the case, I will replace the stock resonators with a bigger straight thru high flow aftermarket muffler. My goal is stock looks, I loves the looks of the stock exhaust tips, I don't want that aftermarket tuner looks.

Last edited by BNR34; 11-01-10 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: How do I get a more throaty growl SC430?