SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

No Front License Plate...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-02, 08:28 PM
DropTop430
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Front License Plate...

In Ontario, Canada you must have a plate on both the front and back of the car by law. I have been driving my SC430 for 15 months and have only gotten one comment from a police officer about it. He asked me where the front plate was and I asked him what he was talking about, told him that it must have fallen off, he laughed and told me that I can be ticketed for not having one.

I was just wondering if any other drivers have gone with the no plate option (other than people living in states or provinces where it is not the law)

I've seen several SC's around with front plates and in my mind it totally takes away from the look. I love the clean front end...
Old 06-19-02, 09:36 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in VA its the law too. My dads GS has these lil "dimples" for the plate to go into, and since he wants the plate in there (b/c it's the law as he says), I'm gonna run down to the Lexus dealership and buy a Lexus frame to make it look somewhat nice.
On my SC, however, there are no "dimples" whatsoever, but even if there were it wouldn't matter. THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO PUT HOLES IN MY CAR. I think when I'm down at the dealership, I'm gonna see if they have any of those magnet devices that they use to put polates on when people test drive cars, etc. and somehow use that for the front.
Old 06-19-02, 10:20 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive my SC300 with no front or rear license plate. I keep that little purchase tag on as long as possible. My SC400 has no front plate but does have a rear plate. I have been ticketed in Santa Monica though for it.
Old 06-20-02, 03:52 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When I picked up my SC430 in July 2001, my salesman assumed I didn't want any holes drilled in the car, told me so, and left it up to me whether or not I wanted to mount the front plate. I haven't yet.

The front plate is mandatory in New York, but I haven't been stopped for it yet. I wouldn't mind attaching the plate if I could find a tasteful bracket that matched the contours of the car and fit flush against the bumper.

The dealer gave me a plastic thing that fitted across the top of the plate and down each side about an inch or so. When attached, it would look like the car has its tongue hanging out.
Old 06-20-02, 11:26 AM
pot_head
Driver

i live up in Canada also but in Vancouver BC. My E36 Bmw with a M3 front bumper doesnt have a front license plate either. i've been stopped only once for having no front plates when going thru a roadblock in the past 18 months. i told the officer that theres no 'dimples' on my front bumper and i didnt want to drill holes in my bumper, and im awaiting a new front bumper 'trim' with pre-drilled holes so i can mount my front plates. he had no idea what the heck i was talking about but he believed me that i didnt want to drill holes in my bumper so he let me off.
Old 06-23-02, 07:13 PM
blevinson
Driver School Candidate

In Illinois it is the law to have a front plate. I've gotten one warning (to go along with a speeding ticket), I also get a parking ticket at least every other week. I'm convinced the same cop writes the ticket every time in front of my office. But for the $20 ticket I'm not putting a plate on.
Old 06-24-02, 08:56 AM
daygo718
Lead Lap

I have the little "dimples" on my front bumper, but I don't plan on having a front plate on my SC!
Old 06-24-02, 09:50 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Originally posted by genearch
It's been a while, but I believe that the bracket for the 1992-2000 SC's mounted under the lip on the front bumper. No holes needed to be drilled.
The '97 & up bumpers have the holes in the front, not under the lip. I dunno about the earlier ones. 3rd generation Mazda RX-7s use a bracket like you're talking about.
Old 06-24-02, 11:03 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default not here either

I refuse to put a front plate on my SC430 too.. and have not gotten pulled over for it yet... Interestingly enough, I had a friend get pulled over for not having a front plate on his Porsche in Wisconsin (as an Illinois Resident)... those Wisconsin folks hate the Illinois folks and will pull them over for anything it seems!

...I'd do the velco thing myself if I got a ticket and had to prove it was on there -- LOL
Old 06-26-02, 02:31 PM
compgal
Driver School Candidate

Here in Massachusetts, having a front license plate depends on the letter color on the plate. The older plates have green lettering and do not require a front plate. The newer red plates do. I really do not think that most police pay attention to whether you have a front plate or not. My daughter's car was bought three years ago and for some reason, the (red) front plate was not put on because the dealer did not have the proper bracket. The only time she has had a problem is when she gets the car inspected.

About 2 months after I had my SUV on the road, a local officer stopped me because he said that the car was not registered. It was, and it turned out that the dealer, who was not from Mass., put the plate with the sticker on the front.

I forgot to register my current vehicle but finally did it on-line. It took them three weeks to send the registration to me which was three weeks after the expiration date. In the mean time, I printed out the receipt registration, but I was never stopped. I did the same thing with my inspection, and I finally got the car inspected, but again it seems like no one was looking at an out of date inspection sticker (I guess I am too busy).

I did see a Black/Black today in front of my office with a front plate on. It did look terrible. I left instructions with the dealer that my SC430, when ever it gets here, is not to be drilled for a front plate. They will give me alternatives which I will share with everyone. We will see. I also told the C-Best settings I want, but that another story.

I would be interested as to what other owners in Mass. have done about the front license plate problem. They might share the options they were presented with. This might help the rest of us.
Old 07-12-02, 12:26 PM
Robbo
Rookie

Sorry to resurrect this thread but got a call from the dealer today (the car is being delivered on Monday)who said he is required by CT law to put on the brackets and mount the front license plate. He simply would not give on this issue and said he has no choice but to drill the bumper. He did tell me that another customer of his subsequently removed the plates and brackets and plugged the holes with black rubber boots. Since my car is black too that might work.

Any other ideas?
Old 07-12-02, 01:07 PM
BlackSC430'nMA
Driver School Candidate

Default MA Plate

I had the older green plate on my wife's Suburban and had that one transferred to the Lexus and re-registered the Suburban. Cost me a little extra money but it was worth it.
Old 07-12-02, 01:11 PM
BlackSC430'nMA
Driver School Candidate

Default One more thing

I also used to have a Boxster that I leased. They had to put the front plate on. I took it off, removed the brackets and found a guy on the Porsche board who was a dentist and had made rubber plugs that contoured to the nose. When they were painted to match the car(Black) you couldn't tell.
Old 07-12-02, 03:09 PM
Robbo
Rookie

By the time I called the dealer back and said that I would deal with the plates myself, he had already drilled the bracket. Ugh.

Gene-- thanks for the BumperPlugs link-- I have an email into them to see if their stuff (which looks great by the way) will fit/color match.
Old 07-15-02, 11:27 AM
mickey513
Driver School Candidate

In CA, you have to have a front plant front and back. I been pulled over twice for it, (office let me off with verbal warning to put it back on) and given two tickets (BY ******** Metermaids checking parking meters).

Quick Reply: No Front License Plate...