ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010-63/)
-   -   Diagnosis help needed: connection between horn, steering controls for radio and nav? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/496761-diagnosis-help-needed-connection-between-horn-steering-controls-for-radio-and-nav.html)

JohnnyCake 04-22-10 02:36 PM

Diagnosis help needed: connection between horn, steering controls for radio and nav?

My steering wheel controls for radio and nav (but not phone) stopped working. At the same time, the horn stopped working.

The weirdest thing is that every now and then, the horn will work again, and when it does, the steering wheel controls for radio and nav will also work. But mostly it doesn't work.

So there must be something in common between the horn, and steering wheel controls for radio/nav (but not phone)?

Any guesses?

Z3NK1 04-22-10 02:39 PM

Perhaps removing the steering wheel and checking the wired connections between the wheel and the steering column will help. Sounds like loose wires to me.

Peter_Klim 04-22-10 04:53 PM

Makes me wonder if my horn even works. I never ever even tried it. since i never had a need to try it

scdroptop 04-22-10 08:06 PM

Johnnycake-sounds like a loose connector as well. Did it seem to happen after you messed with your Vais ipod? Would there be any coincidence there?

VVTI Bob has the wiring diagram...maybe he can help??? I searched online for a pdf and cannot find?

Habious 04-23-10 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake (Post 5426294)
My steering wheel controls for radio and nav (but not phone) stopped working. At the same time, the horn stopped working.

The weirdest thing is that every now and then, the horn will work again, and when it does, the steering wheel controls for radio and nav will also work. But mostly it doesn't work.

So there must be something in common between the horn, and steering wheel controls for radio/nav (but not phone)?

Any guesses?

Oh...I'm gonna get blamed for this one, I know it.

It sure does sound like something as simple as a loose connector under/inside the steering column.

VVTiBob 04-23-10 08:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sounds like a loose ground wire in the wiring harness in the steering column....

ANY MESSING AROUND in the COLUMN requires disconnecting the negative battery terminal or risk deploying the air bag and serious injury. There are specific ways to handle the horn/SRS assembly use extreme caution OR DON'T TOUCH IT.

hobber 02-29-12 04:13 PM

VAIS ipod

Originally Posted by scdroptop (Post 5427231)
Johnnycake-sounds like a loose connector as well. Did it seem to happen after you messed with your Vais ipod? Would there be any coincidence there?

VVTI Bob has the wiring diagram...maybe he can help??? I searched online for a pdf and cannot find?

scdroptop -

this is happening to me after I messed with my VAIS ipod! Do you have any info on that?

pvong713 04-21-14 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by hobber (Post 7055010)
scdroptop -

this is happening to me after I messed with my VAIS ipod! Do you have any info on that?

OK i knew I wasn't the only one my Ac was working fine and my horns were working fine. A month after installing my Vias now i notice my horns or volume control on steering wheels won't work and now my AC light is blinking when the ac is on. Anybody got any solutions.

JohnnyCake 04-22-14 10:55 AM

I should have circled back and updated this thread.

Spiral cable.

It needs replacing.

Born2x 04-22-14 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim (Post 5426633)
Makes me wonder if my horn even works. I never ever even tried it. since i never had a need to try it

Come to think about it... 5 years and I've never used my horn.

pvong713 04-22-14 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake (Post 8499034)
I should have circled back and updated this thread.

Spiral cable.

It needs replacing.

Did your AC blinking light came on at the same time? For some reason my horn problem and ac blinking light came on around the same time. I was thinking it was the relay fuse because the AC Compress fuse is right next to the Horn fuse. But i checked the fuse with multimeter and 12v battery and they seem to be good.

pvong713 04-22-14 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by pvong713 (Post 8499452)
Did your AC blinking light came on at the same time? For some reason my horn problem and ac blinking light came on around the same time. I was thinking it was the relay fuse because the AC Compress fuse is right next to the Horn fuse. But i checked the fuse with multimeter and 12v battery and they seem to be good.

OK NEW UPDATE: So the reason why my horn stop working was the fuse in the driver side under the steering wheel. OMG!!!! I kept thinking it was the fuse label HORN under the front hood. If anybody ever has issues with the horn going out for some reason check the fuse. The fuse number 12 the security fuse, don't ask me how it plays with the horn, I have no Idea, I just went to check all the fuses. Now I'm hoping this fixes my blinking AC crossing my fingers.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...am-2002-a.html

GaryRama 09-27-14 09:52 AM

Any information regarding replacing the spiral cable on a lx 470 would be greatly appreciated, my horn quit working and I've checked the fuse, tested the horn by jumping and I can not find the horn relay. 2003 LX 470.

mrblister 09-27-14 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by GaryRama (Post 8728907)
Any information regarding replacing the spiral cable on a lx 470 would be greatly appreciated, my horn quit working and I've checked the fuse, tested the horn by jumping and I can not find the horn relay. 2003 LX 470.

Your posting in the wrong forum. There is some info in this thread but its for sc430