SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2008+ SC430 or 2010 G37 Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 09:18 PM
Tyke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
fyi, i just took a look at the G37 forum. it looks like the car has quite a few problems. people are complaining about leaking tops, cracked seats, rattling tops, clutch problems, ipod problems, windows not closing, intermittent power loss, etc... and that's just what i saw on the first two pages. 2002 SCs don't have nearly as many problems as they're experiencing, let alone a 2008. obviously, the build quality is not on par with lexus. so that's a major concern i would have with the G37.
Exactly my point, its all about build quality....Its just like the C5 corvette ( I had one) beautiful looking car, with lots of gizmos and gadgets (back in the day standars of course) but the build quality was HORRIBLE.

Those cars may seem "latest technology" right now because they are new... but give them some time I will bet you they dont hold up nearly as good as the LExus.

Hey, KIA even has cars with start button LOL
Old 04-07-10, 09:36 PM
LexFather

The reviews have showed the G37 convert is fun to drive but the trunk room is non existent and the NVH and cowl shake is bad. Nissan always has opportunities with refinement and this is no different.

The SC is older, slower and more relaxed but it is one of the grandest quality cars on the planet.
Old 04-08-10, 05:39 AM
azkaty
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"
The G3*'s, in general, have a much throatier exhaust note...it SOUNDS like a sports car when you rev it. The SC430 exhaust is almost too-quiet sometimes.
"

If you want a great sound.. put on an Injen Air Intake!
Katy
Old 04-08-10, 08:49 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Many folks who have compared the G37 convertible, have compared the stock $42k model with no premium, deluxe or sport packages and certainly NOT the bloomingdales premier edition (gray with red edition). I've weighed in on this many times as I gave the G37 convertible a HARD look before buying my second SC this fall. I've driven them about ten times now, including keeping one for an entire afternoon.

Infiniti will be releasing ANOTHER special edition this year with red interior, etc as the Bloomingdales sold like hotcakes.

My point is-the G37 is similar to the SC430, but is no where near the same. The G is more of a driver's car, whereas the SC obviously is a luxury all around cruiser/GT. Hard to compare. It would be like comparing the 335 convertible to the CLK convertible. 3 is more techy, more sporty, more of a driver's car...industrial interior compared to the plush, softer CLK.

IMO different target market. There obviously will be some crossover, but here in Dallas the 50+ ladies I see driving my SC around might not like the rigidity of the G, the deep bass bose, the throaty exhaust, etc etc. Also might not like the idea of the infiniti nameplate versus the lexus (we've exhausted this topic, haven't we?).

The CLOSEST competitor of the G37 convertible family will NOT be the sport model, it would be the Bloomingdale's (gray on red, special wood, special 19" wheels) OR a deluxe premium model with the sport package, wood, etc. Those cars are $51k+. A base $42k g37 is pretty plain, and probably would not satisfy most SC'ers (i doesn't me, and I love the G37 convertible). If you compare, take a look at a $51k+ loaded one. I don't think you'll be disappointed. TONS of tech...much improved interior quality and very unique features like the bose headrests, lane departure, music box, full ipod integration, cooled seats, etc etc etc. Adaptive lighting of course and the unique ventilation system is cool
Old 04-08-10, 11:02 PM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...initi-g37.html

It places last in this comparo (3rd in another) and its really lacking refinement.
Old 04-09-10, 12:33 AM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
fyi, i just took a look at the G37 forum. it looks like the car has quite a few problems. people are complaining about leaking tops, cracked seats, rattling tops, clutch problems, ipod problems, windows not closing, intermittent power loss, etc... and that's just what i saw on the first two pages. 2002 SCs don't have nearly as many problems as they're experiencing, let alone a 2008. obviously, the build quality is not on par with lexus. so that's a major concern i would have with the G37.

Originally Posted by Tyke
Exactly my point, its all about build quality....Its just like the C5 corvette ( I had one) beautiful looking car, with lots of gizmos and gadgets (back in the day standars of course) but the build quality was HORRIBLE.

Those cars may seem "latest technology" right now because they are new... but give them some time I will bet you they dont hold up nearly as good as the LExus.

Which is exactly why I frown upon purchasing extended warranties for the SC430. The "build quality" is your insurance at no extra cost.
Old 04-09-10, 05:24 PM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
The "build quality" is your insurance at no extra cost.
When I purchased my SC it had only one defect, the GPS would lose tracking every few days. I come to find out the GPS had no signal, the car was figuring position by the wheels. I needed a new antenna, which runs under the floor board to the dvd, a new stereo, and they had to upgrade my screen and the DVD, 03 parts not available. Total cost over seven thousand dollars. The warranty for $3200 is still good until 2015 and 58,000 more miles. I had a loaner Lexus for 10 days.
Old 04-09-10, 07:17 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New and Better Stereo w/DVD and Nav - only $999

Details:
General features:
in-dash DVD/CD player with internal amplifier (22 watts RMS/50 peak x 4 channels)
6.1" touchscreen
built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
fits double-sized (4" tall) dash openings
built-in memory for navigation with maps of Canada, USA, and Puerto Rico
Audio/visual features:
plays DVD, DVD-R/-RW, DVD+R/+RW, CD, CD-R/RW, and MP3/WMA/AAC files on disc
plays JPEGs on CD, DVD, or USB
3-band EQ with six preset tone curves
dual-zone operation
Expandability:
works with with Kenwood iPod adapter, HD Radio™ tuner, and satellite radio
inputs: USB input, front-panel A/V input, rear-view camera input
outputs: A/V output; 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, subwoofer)
Other information:
compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
warranty: 1 year
Attached Thumbnails 2008+ SC430 or 2010 G37 Convertible?-h113dnx6160-f_mt.jpg  
Old 04-10-10, 05:48 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
If I did not have the warranty I would probably have purchased a $99 tom tom, given I barely use GPS. My point is you never know, and when you are dealing with a car, which will be 13 years old, by the time mine runs out of warranty, even the best of cars will need repairs. My wife has an 06 LS, which is also one of the most reliable cars. So far they replaced the struts, a transponder key died, the rear shade broke, as did the mirror controls, and the sunglass holder. Warranty paid for. It is reasonable to expect a car over ten years old to have at least 1K work a year. My warranty cost about $600 a year. I just sleep better knowing all the bits of that electric roof are covered for five years
Old 08-20-14, 08:51 AM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
My neighbor has the G37 convertable and I spent a bit of time in it. It is a great car, and much better value than an SC. Performance wise, we have raced from a light several times, and at 60 he is always 3/4 of a car length behind me. The cars also look little a like up close. I think comparing apples, the G is a much nicer looking car than the IS, and I would pick it over the new lexus convertable hands down.

He also consistently gets less than 19MPG to my 22.
Hmm, having had 3 G37 loaners since I bought my FX50S, I'd have to say your friends G37 had something wrong with it.

There's no way the SC430 would beat any G37 to 60. I've gteched my SC430 at 5.8 with traction control off which is right around where the manufacturer claims.

The G37 loaners gtech around 5.4 and feel noticeably faster. They feel about the same off the line up to about 30 MPH, but after that, the 37 leaves my car in the dust.

I still prefer my SC. The build quality, refinement, feel, etc, is light years ahead of the G37. But we're talking a $70K car vs a $42K car.

The one big fault I find with the SC is that my 2007, the second year of the mid model refresh, had no excuse to not have keyless go. I almost went with the G37 convertible for that reason alone.
Old 08-20-14, 08:55 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyke

ummm, a g37 is light years ahead of a c5. thats not even comparable. a g37 is nice if you arent familiar with the car. ive been in both the sc430 and g37 and g37 edges it out in terms of technology and modern look/feel. the g37's build quality is far from horrible. quit being biased.
Old 08-20-14, 09:29 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

G37= performance and speed, sc430= style, luxury, and reliability. It is really a matter of taste.
Old 08-20-14, 09:56 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
G37= performance and speed, sc430= style, luxury, and reliability. It is really a matter of taste.
And Corvette = exceptional performance and speed but unreliable. Mine had airconditioner controls fail, radio fail, wheels corrode, horrible water leaks which required carpet replacement. All done under factory warranty in one year. But boy did it have power.
Old 08-20-14, 11:23 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
g37 has luxury, style and reliability.
Old 08-21-14, 05:07 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Infiniti consistently ranks lower in reliability compared to Lexus; the fit and finish in terms of luxury is clearly higher quality in the sc430; IMO the g37 is more bland styling compared to the Lexus...I do like the g37 but I feel it is an apples to oranges comparison