3.76 Supra LSD Differential DIY -- SC430--

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-15, 06:39 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bacardi11
greg
did you finish the rear end? if so how do you like it must make difference. they are the best road gears setup.
Final assembly this afternoon. Can't wait ...
Old 03-22-15, 07:41 AM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

greg
get going.
Old 03-22-15, 07:05 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Slow day today. Got the Figs Rear differential bushings in pretty easy. Installing the differential is definetly a two person job - the diff kept falling off the jack so I finally got my son to help adjust the jack while I work under the car. Got the axles connected without too much problem but ran into another challenge! The differential flange does not match the connector on the drive shaft. This might be a difference from the cars in Japan where I got the differential. So I need to use the flange from the OEM differential. I don't expect it to be easy - the shop manual says use a chisel and hammer to move the nut - didn't move. I will pick 35 mm deep socket tomorrow ... I should be able to get the nut off so hopefully I can get back on track.

Here's a picture of the Figs performance bushing kit.
Attached Thumbnails 3.76 Supra LSD Differential DIY -- SC430---image.jpg  
Old 03-22-15, 10:48 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

Figs makes nice stuff. remember to torch the nut.
Old 03-24-15, 10:42 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Companion shaft - Supra TT to SC430

Yesterday was a learning day. The problem I had with the bolts on the pinion ear bushings was due to the bushing metal center being upside down. The OEM bolts are tapered so Figs reams out a matching taper on the SS bushing center and marks the side that should point down.

The companion flange missmatch issue is because the Supra TT can have three different companion flanges. There is a discussion on this topic in the SC300/400 forum. They name the flanges as small or largre - the large one matches the SC430. It is not clear to me why the differential I purchased had the smaller flange - might be a difference in JDM or perhaps it came off the 6 sp manual vs 4 speed automatic which I ordered ??? Nevertheless, it is easy to inquire and check before purchasing or if necessary change it later. The smaller flange has a distance of 102mm between the bolt edges while the SC430 flange has 112mm.

I ordered the correct companion flange from LParts, our new sponsor. Price was $98.87 including $8 for 2-3 day shipping and $2.26 for a new nut.

Part no. 41204-30040 (same part no. For one of the three Supra TT choices)

Changing the flange has a couple of tricks. One is that the 35mm nut is crimped to a depression in the pinion - I bent it out using a small stanrd and phillips screwdriver and a hammer. The other trick is that a typical impact 35mm socket won't fit in the space in the flange to reach the nut; tye large hole is tapered. If you have a axle nut set, you will have to grind down the 35mm socket to fit. A thin wall deep socket should fit.

Flange replacement - another issue - the flange has a pre-load setting which is the pressure it puts on the pinion. You can count the number of exposed threads or use a digital torque meter to set it to spec when you tighten the new flange down. Remember to crimp the nut again over the depression so it doesn't move.

Here's a picture with the specs.
Old 03-24-15, 10:46 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi11
Figs makes nice stuff. remember to torch the nut.
I am learning as I go - mechanic wannabe ... So I am not sure what you mean by torching the nut? I have read that as trick to help getting if off so it expands? I didn't need to do that. I have't used a torch yet but I'll get to that and learn first safely.
Old 03-26-15, 08:42 AM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mademedoit
Wow that's rough dude. I hope you succeed in the end. For the rest of us maybe easier to just swap the internals and leave the stock gear ratio alone.
Well once you know what to look for and have the proper tools it's a lot easier. I learned last night from the importer that the later models Supra TT with the 3.77 gear ratio in Japan can have both flange sizes. So you either get someone to check it before you purchase or you check when you get it and change it if necessay. The new flange comes today so I'll work in it either tonight or tomorrow.

To make things easier this time I purchased from Harbor Freight a 450 lbs transmission lift to support the differential. I also picked up a bench grinder and stand to be able to modify sockets and tools when necessary. I will start by grinding down the 35mm deep impact socket ... I figure some of the savings doing DIY projects can be spent on tools for the next project.

Thanks for the support. When I have everything working I'll post a summary with lessons learned.

Last edited by SlvBullet; 03-26-15 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-26-15, 09:13 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Good day today. The new flange came, put it in and torqued to spec. Managing the differential was soooo much easier with the transmission jack. I connected first the axles, then the drive shaft. The slowly raised the diff to the level of the rear sub-frame mounting bushings and inserted the three bolts. Last screwed in the new pinion ear bolts through the new Figs bushings. Then I went back to tighten and torque to spec all the bolts. Once the differential was in I proceeded to reinstall parts in the order they came off. Finished the drive shaft heat shield and the rear member supports. Tomorrow I'll continue with the rear chassis center support, the rear side chassis support beams, the rear sway bar and the exhaust. Then to the test drive!

Will post more details and summary tomorrow.
Old 03-26-15, 10:12 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

greg
very nice job and first time nice.
Old 03-27-15, 06:41 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Did a test drive this afternoon. WOW!
Old 03-27-15, 07:25 PM
bacardi11
Lexus Test Driver

greg
like I said that is the best all around gear setup for any car

Last edited by bacardi11; 03-27-15 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 06:50 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
With some Blaster rust penetrator and a 3 lbs dead blow hammer I got the axles free by turning the wheels and whacking the axle-differential joint. The penetrating liquid was applied over night.
Looks like there are three points at which you applied the PB Blaster. Since my car is a 2002, I assume these bolts are quite seized. Before I attempt the install I will shoot the lubricant all over there.

It seems like the biggest challenge with your DIY was getting the siezed bolts off as well as changing out the bushings. I hope I can get by without changing the bushings since my differential has 21k miles..
Old 04-02-15, 10:50 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Looks like there are three points at which you applied the PB Blaster. Since my car is a 2002, I assume these bolts are quite seized. Before I attempt the install I will shoot the lubricant all over there.

It seems like the biggest challenge with your DIY was getting the siezed bolts off as well as changing out the bushings. I hope I can get by without changing the bushings since my differential has 21k miles..
Good idea. I agree you do not need to change the differential bushings. I didn't have any seized bolts at all. Which bolts are you referring to? I did have the axles siezed to the differential but all bolts came off easily with a breaker bar. You drop the differential and the axles should pop off with the weight but my needed PB and the next day some good whacking with a 3 lbs dead drop hammer. Other than that everythink came off readily.
Old 06-19-17, 11:26 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Would love to see some Dyno numbers on this LSD, not sure if SlvBullet is still active. Heard so much awesomeness about his SC430... especially the exhaust. Anyone got a link to his exhaust build? I'm starting my "Envy" list of engine modifications (including custom exhaust, single turbo with piggyback ECU, PPE headers with O2 sim, upgraded coils and spark plugs, LSD, Torque Converter... or possibly swap to 2JZ engine and change plan of attack). In any case I would not jeopardize losing the top function or CEL lights, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions? Things I haven't thought all the way through? Maybe I have a screw loose? Manic episode? Who knows... hoping to hear from you all.
Old 04-23-20, 04:49 PM
JMal
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Lexiss_sc430,
Thank you for your posts. Sorry to be writing 10 years later. With respect to your car doing 65mph at 2,500RPM with the 3.76 ratio diff, what are your rear tyre dimensions e.g. 275/30/R20?

Last edited by JMal; 04-23-20 at 08:12 PM.