SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Power Antenna Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 07:26 AM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Antenna Problems

On a very cold morning a couple days ago, my power antenna started struggling to go up and down. After it warmed up I added a little WD40 which may have been a mistake, I'm not sure. Anyway, now it raises about half way fine then shuts down the motor. The main problem starts when it is time for it to retract it just sounds like the motor is running and an occassional grrrrr sound. While it is doing this, if I wiggle the antenna, it will catch and retract. Any ideas on how to fix this, or do I need a new antenna? I hate to even ask the dealer what that would cost. Thanks for your assistance.

Barry
Old 01-04-10, 10:36 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

It sounds like some of the gear teeth are worn or broken. You will likely have to replace the antenna to fix it. Hopefully the teeth on the motor are fine.
Old 01-04-10, 11:51 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try cleaning the antenna with rubbing alcohol. Turn on the accessories and run it up all the way. Then clean it. Then shut it down, then let it retract. Do again. See how much stuff is coming off. (dirt) If it appears clean try it a couple of times. Might do the trick. Might take a couple of times of cleaning also.
Old 01-04-10, 11:58 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Well Barry,
There is only one way to really tell and that's to take a look at the antenna. And, depending on your courage you might even tackle this as a DIY for two.

There is a service bulletin on this problem. However the most difficult part is getting the damn ornament nut off without scratching the hell out of it. Lexus has a special tool for the job that slips over the nut, catching in the four grooves. But IF you're VERY careful, a taped flathead screwdriver can do it...but one slip and you'll gouge the heck out of the quarter panel.

Here a link to one of my new favorite places to order parts. More specifically the antenna array. http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexus...30&catid=30140

I am attaching the TSIB for your review. Does take two people,
patience, and following instructions. But you can determine if its the mast or something else.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2008-09-20_111457_sc_antenna.pdf (47.7 KB, 3134 views)

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-04-10 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 12:34 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stuff on the mast people think is just "dirt", is likely a mixture of a lubricant and dirt. Do not wipe all lubricant off, then operate the antenna - you'll do more harm than good. I would try a light oil first, not WD40, which is a penetrant, not a lubricant.
sounds to me like you have some stripped teeth as others have said.
good luck!
Old 01-04-10, 02:42 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PHXSC
The stuff on the mast people think is just "dirt", is likely a mixture of a lubricant and dirt. Do not wipe all lubricant off, then operate the antenna - you'll do more harm than good. I would try a light oil first, not WD40, which is a penetrant, not a lubricant.
sounds to me like you have some stripped teeth as others have said.
good luck!
^^^^1,sewing machine oil works best,a great lubricant
Old 01-04-10, 03:12 PM
velocity12
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have that problem too. If the temp is under 32, the atenna will not go up at all. When it warms up - all is fine.
Old 01-04-10, 04:00 PM
VVTiBob

That sounds like debris affected by temperature, i.e. moisture in the works. There is a drainage/breathing tube that runs from the bottom of antenna array and drops out between the outer bumper covers that wraps around from the back and the exhaust heat shield just behind the right side exhaust tip. It's not all that easy to get to.
Attached Thumbnails Power Antenna Problems-drain-tube.jpg   Power Antenna Problems-scdraw.png  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-04-10 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-05-10, 12:17 PM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. After reading everyones reply and the file that Bob sent, I think my intial tinkering with it I may have damaged the antenna more than it was originally. In the PDF Bob sent I read the procedure for extending the antenna to its max length, but when I originally was wiping it down and oiling (or thought I was oiling) it, I pulled it manually out to the fullest extent. I thought it was just sticking and maybe forcing it to extend(didnt take much effort) would possibly free it up. Hope I havent royally screwed it up. Also while reading the instructions on how to replace the antenna mast, I saw where it said to make sure the teeth of the cable were to the rear of the car or it wouldnt operate correctly, I wonder if I may have offset this to the side a little by pulling on it like I did. Anyway, I think I will go through the instructions on how to replace the mast and check if the teeth are aligned correctly before I do anything else. Oh, and by the way, I have already had the nut on the top of the antenna off, I was actually able to unscrew it with my hand. Thanks again everyone.
Old 01-05-10, 12:40 PM
VVTiBob

Happy to help out a fellow SC owner But if you did screw it up and it's only the mast, it not all that expensive a repair especially if you do it yourself. Good luck!

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-05-10 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-19-10, 12:05 PM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Okay, finally got the nerve to run the antenna removal process that Bob had sent. It all went smoothe enough. Got the antenna out and the teeth of the cable were facing the wrong way and I thought this was the problem. I re-inserted it the correct direction after adding a little light oil, only to have the same results. It raises about halfway, the motor continues to run for a moment then shuts down. When turned off, the motor runs but the atenna does not retract unless I give it a good wiggle. The teeth on the cable looked okay, and since the motor seems to be running properly, I am not sure what the problem is. One last question, when removing the antenna, I was surprised when the cable came completely out of the motor assembly, but stayed in the atenna mass, Is this supposed to be this way? Thanks all
Old 01-19-10, 12:28 PM
VVTiBob

Yep. That's so the mast only can be replaced when it is broken off by some jerk, or somebody forget to put it down while going through the car wash.

So you've closely inspected the teeth on the cable. None are chewed up, partially broken or missing? If that's the case there may be some foreign material in the gears within the motor assembly.
Old 01-20-10, 08:34 AM
Bfrizz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again, Bob. I think I will just dust the cobwebs off my wallet and buy a new mast. I am assuming they come with the toothed cable attached. I am thinking also the antenna mast may be slightly bowed and that may be causing the problem, since when I jar it a little it will retract. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-20-10, 09:38 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

are you sure you installed it correctly? i had mine replaced and the timing of turning the stereo on while feeding the plastic strip in seemed important. i didn't do it myself, so i can't tell you any more than that.
Old 01-20-10, 09:56 AM
VVTiBob

Well the easiest method for check for a bow or bend is to extend it on the ground and see if it rolls freely. If not, most masts can be picked up at the parts counter for about $55. Not cheap but you can now save the labor costs if you do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Power Antenna Problems