SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sound BLAST radio problem--PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 03:42 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound BLAST radio problem--PLEASE HELP!

I've had my SC for about 4 months now and experienced this problem close to 10 times and for the past month or so it was basically resolved; however, it happened 3 times today!

This is what happens:

1) I get in the car (radio or CD on) and as I put the car in reverse to adjust the volume **** (to decrease or increase TO THE SLIGHTEST TOUCH) the car automatically goes on the loudest volume setting possible--literally AN EXPLOSION that destroys your ears--so high that I have to rotate the **** nearly 2 times counterclockwise. I am pretty sure I blew out my driver side tweeter and the 6x9 by virtue of this ...

2) My "MODE" button on the steering wheel mysteriously changes to this "blast setting" as well after we experience the radio blast. Because of this I set my "MODE" button to a very low setting thats barely audible.

I have experienced this "blast" with both sets of keys I have AND when the car is top up and top down. I am trying to figure out this electronic glitch and have not found any pattern to this?

Its really annoying because I'm often times VERY scared to change the volume when I get in the car or have to brace myself when I push the "Mode" button. Today this really irked me because it was a beautiful day out and I went to grab lunch at Chipotle and left the car out front top down. I got food and turned the car on and BLAST--literally everyone from inside the restaurant stared and it takes time to turn the **** twice so as I was turning it I slammed on the Mode button which only made things worse... Later I was able to look past this and asked my GF to join me on a joy ride next to the beach but as we were pulling out the **** blast happened yet again and she mandated that we have no music because her ears hurt so bad...what a buzz kill...
Old 12-03-09, 04:26 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the car still under warranty?? you need a new radio! its an issue inside the radio unit shorting out the volume controls.
see if lexus will warranty it!! thats your best bet. but if they diagnose it i can almost gaurantee the answer is replacing. they dont FIX these things at the stores. i had cds jammed in mine. all they did was send it out, replace mine, then mail me the cds when the "factory" got them out.

if you need a new head unit, let me know. i can get you one. but try to make lexus warranty it first!!! free is always best
Old 12-03-09, 07:40 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

Probably not under warranty, it's a 2002...unless you are a lucky warranty survivor???

If not, I would recommend getting a replacement used head unit. I see them on eBay all the time for $500-$700. Maybe langsdale has a deal for you too?
Old 12-04-09, 05:43 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

let me know if you need one, im more than happy to sell you mine. but seriously, try to see if lexus will warranty it. doesnt sound promising, but its worth a shot.
if not, DO NOT PAY RETAIL. you can have any stereo shop install a replacement.
joe
Old 12-04-09, 08:23 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you search around, you'll find this issue existed with the early 2002 models (March and June 2001). Mine (Oct. 2001) didn't have the problem. I hadn't heard about it since then.

I'm surprised that the previous owner(s) didn't go insane and didn't take it in to get fixed. Hopefully some pleading with the dealer will help. I've found that dealers will do a little extra to help a new customer, even with a used vehicle.
Old 12-04-09, 09:56 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

i agree with antigeek. ill still part with mine for almost 1/3 what the dealer will charge which is a huge sum of $$$$, but always see what they can do. id call and ask for the service DIRECTOR, not manager.
have you done lots of regular service with them? that might help
Old 12-04-09, 10:35 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Typically, the type of problem where turning a **** causes erratic behavior is typically caused by a dirty pot (potentiometer - an adjustible resistor). Sometimes you can clean them by turning them back and forth quickly for a few seconds as far as you can turn them each time (cleans the wipers). (Obvoiusly, do that with the power off!) Other times they require a contact cleaner sprayed on them (from the inside). Other times they just flat out need to be replaced.
Old 12-04-09, 10:47 AM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Harold I'd say to pm me but in case others have this problem do you mind explaining the steps to take to do this? I am afraid of the car but more afraid of $ I do not have and my father sees it as I don't need the radio to drive and get that "I didn't have a car at your age speech." I will be contacting Lex about this but hopefully there is a fix.
Old 12-04-09, 10:56 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't think our stereos use an analog potentiometer from the volume control. One thing that makes me think that is that there's no end-stop on it. This also allows them to do things like have the volume control in more than one location (front of the stereo and steering wheel controls), have the "volume preset" that the steering wheel controls has, etc.

The problem sounds more like an issue with the volume control circuitry.

I'm in agreement in thinking a head-unit replacement is in order. Hopefully IStoSC can find a refurbed one somewhere, or a used one on eBay from a 2003 or 2004. Those years used the same headunit, but didn't have this issue.

Just my $0.02
Old 12-04-09, 11:58 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

You are correct in stating that it doesn't have an analog pot. An analog pot would have a beginning and an end to the turning circle, like the old on/off/volume ***** on the old radios and TVs. However, it will still have some sort of wipers inherent in its make up, just like the old analog pots, so it is still a cheap and easy task to try that won't hurt to try. If it works, a lot of money is saved. If it doesn't work, no money has been lost and only 10 seconds has been invested.

IStoSC, just grab the **** like you would normally to raise or lower the volume and twist it back and forth for 5 to 10 seconds (enough to do it quite a few times) (like you were raising and lowering the volume to extremes very quickly). That's it. Then try the volume again (with the radio turned on).

I agree that this isn't likely to fix the problem and that it is likely an electronic issue, but it couldn't hurt to try.

One other thing to try, does your steering wheel volume controls work properly? If they do react the same way, there are major problems beyond the **** and I agree the head needs replacement/repair. If they do work properly and the twisting cleaning process doesn't work, then just use your steering wheel controls.

Last edited by Harold57; 12-04-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-04-09, 12:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Okay, I stand corrected. It is not likely to be a mechanical wiper but rather an optical encoder. These can get dirty if they are in a smokey environment (or dirty air). The twisting fix may not affect it but it still can't hurt.

After that, try your steering wheel controls.
Old 12-04-09, 01:05 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

An intermediate work-around to help your situation:

On the steering wheel, below the volume buttons is a "SET" button.
With the stereo on, turn the volume all the way down, then press & hold SET until it beeps.

That will allow you to hit SET to quickly drop the volume.
Old 12-04-09, 03:01 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

I tried that but the problem is that the"set" resets to the blast level after I experience the blast so I reset it to lowest every time
Old 12-04-09, 06:37 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

here are a few...one is starting at $99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CD-PL...fAudioQ5fVideo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CD-PL...Q5fAccessories

Try Harolds' solution. Also I would take off the **** (pull straight out) maybe spray some condensed air (electronics cleaner spray for keyboards) in any openings perhaps may clean it---not sure, grasping here. One time I had static on a stereo volume control in a RX7 of mine and did this and it worked! Might be a long shot.

One other thought-would resetting ECU (unplug battery for 30 minutes) help? If it's a programming issue that is stuck maybe thsi will erase it? I would try a combination of free or very cheap things before you have to bite the bullet.

Good luck...try these things and let us know.
Old 12-05-09, 07:11 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by IStoSC
I tried that but the problem is that the"set" resets to the blast level after I experience the blast so I reset it to lowest every time
You have to set the level at an acceptable level prior to attempting that. When you go to use the Set button to change the volume level, just press it briefly to go to your preset level. If you hold more than that (maybe a second or two) it will reset to whatever level the radio is playing at when you press the Set button.

To set it at an acceptable level, set the volume to where you will want it to be (using your steering wheel controls if you can't trust the radio ****) and then press and hold the Set button for a few seconds. (I don't remember if it beeps when it sets or not. But if you hear a beep, you know that it accepted your entry.)

Quick Reply: Sound BLAST radio problem--PLEASE HELP!