SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Why doesn't the antenna go all the way up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 05:51 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Why doesn't the antenna go all the way up?

I had my antenna replaced about 3 weeks ago at a Lexus dealer and it works, but doesn't go all the way up. Is it supposed to? The dealer wasn't sure. Unbelievable
Old 09-25-09, 07:46 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have noticed that one "level" of the antenna is never all the way up.

You can move it up and down if you want while the mast is up. I do so when I'm cleaning it from dirt and grime.

I've always thought the reason for it is to stabilize the antenna from wind resistance. I think its the best reason why it would be like that...
Old 09-25-09, 07:51 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

The antenna length varies with the frequency (it tunes).

Tune your radio to the lowest station (87.5 I think), then go DOWN...which should roll you around to 107.9ish...and it should change in length (if the car isn't running and you're in a quiet place, like parking garage, you can actually hear the antenna motor run for a second or two while it changes the length of the antenna).
Old 09-25-09, 07:53 AM
Jace_91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The antennae goes higher or lower depending upon what frequency you are listening to. When you switch to AM it raises because AM frequencies are a lot weaker than FM frequencies, also PhilipMSPT I would be careful when your cleaning it because some of the dirt and grime is actually lubrication that helps the antennae move up and down.
Old 09-25-09, 09:00 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The antenna only goes as high as it has to to get a sufficient reception signal. It is designed this way so the antenna doesn't go so high that there is a heightened risk of it hitting something (e.g. a tree branch) while driving. Therefore it only goes as high as necessary
Old 09-25-09, 09:24 AM
iolmaster
Racer

We have such smart cars. Why couldn't I get that explanation at the dealership?
Old 09-25-09, 10:10 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iolmaster
We have such smart cars. Why couldn't I get that explanation at the dealership?
Maybe you were talking to the wrong ppl at the dealership. The actual salesmen selling these 'smart' cars aren't as smart as the ppl who can afford to drive them.
Old 09-25-09, 10:45 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jace_91
...also PhilipMSPT I would be careful when your cleaning it because some of the dirt and grime is actually lubrication that helps the antennae move up and down.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-26-09, 06:24 PM
dunk123
Rookie

Wow.. I was actually going to ask the same question on why my antennae doesn't go up all the way all the time.

Thanks
Old 09-26-09, 08:11 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

this place never ceases to educate...
Old 05-03-13, 01:17 PM
jreichek
Driver School Candidate

On the LX470 there is an antenna raising and lowere switch on the dash which operates in addtion to, and can overide, the automatic tuning height adjustment of the antenna mast.
Old 05-03-13, 02:40 PM
donnieS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a way to make the antenna just go all the way up every time? Several of the FM stations in Atlanta do not come in as clear in my SC as they do in the crappy cars I've owned in the past. I'm not sure how they determine a 'good signal' but it doesn't seem to be intelligently done.

BTW, I have checked the antenna connection at both ends (mast and head unit) and have verified this with another SC430 in the area.

Any ideas?

ds
Old 05-03-13, 03:41 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by donnieS
Is there a way to make the antenna just go all the way up every time? Several of the FM stations in Atlanta do not come in as clear in my SC as they do in the crappy cars I've owned in the past. I'm not sure how they determine a 'good signal' but it doesn't seem to be intelligently done.

BTW, I have checked the antenna connection at both ends (mast and head unit) and have verified this with another SC430 in the area.

Any ideas?

ds
Additional length may actually reduce the signal received.

The antenna length varies so its tunes to optimum length for frequency selected in your radio.

Higher frequency has shorter wave lengths, therfore shorter antenna . Lower frequencies have longer wave lengths.

JR
Old 02-01-24, 07:01 AM
OUTLAWOK
2nd gear

Originally Posted by Jace_91
The antennae goes higher or lower depending upon what frequency you are listening to. When you switch to AM it raises because AM frequencies are a lot weaker than FM frequencies, also PhilipMSPT I would be careful when your cleaning it because some of the dirt and grime is actually lubrication that helps the antennae move up and down.

LOL WHO TOLD YOU THAT, THAT IS ONE OF THE WELL NOT SO NOT-SO-TRUE THINGS I HAVE EVER HEARD. AM FREQUENCIES ARE STRONGER THAN FM. The wavelength is taller, shorter and a less dense than FM, and this is the reason AM can broadcast so far away. all of the receiving in the antenna is at the tip. You need to not comment on things you know nothing about. There is NOTHING ON THE LEXUX PEA-BRAINED ECM that tells the antenna to go to a certain height.
Old 02-01-24, 09:39 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by OUTLAWOK
LOL WHO TOLD YOU THAT, THAT IS ONE OF THE WELL NOT SO NOT-SO-TRUE THINGS I HAVE EVER HEARD. AM FREQUENCIES ARE STRONGER THAN FM. The wavelength is taller, shorter and a less dense than FM, and this is the reason AM can broadcast so far away. all of the receiving in the antenna is at the tip. You need to not comment on things you know nothing about. There is NOTHING ON THE LEXUX PEA-BRAINED ECM that tells the antenna to go to a certain height.
I started that thread back in 09. Maybe you shouldn't comment on a post that is pushing 15 years old. Who is the pea brain here??

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the antenna go all the way up?