SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ecru leather touch up

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 12:45 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried 3 different times, and I always get the same result - flaking, pealing, worse-off after a few weeks. I've tried all the adhesive and pre-paint preps, hasn't ever worked out for me. I stopped trying!
Old 09-23-12, 07:36 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Call around and find a pro to take care of it. Take it to a professional upholstery shop that does leather repair and have it reconditioned and re-dyed.
Old 09-23-12, 08:27 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I've tried 3 different times, and I always get the same result - flaking, pealing, worse-off after a few weeks. I've tried all the adhesive and pre-paint preps, hasn't ever worked out for me. I stopped trying!
These posts have me worried, but also seem like the minority. Thanks for letting me know though.
Old 08-23-13, 09:29 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought this paint (the solvent based one) for my Ecru interior, and I am ready to prep the seats with denatured alcohol (lab grade) and paint. At this point I'm planning on a thorough cleaning with the alcohol, maybe a little sanding at the deep grooves, and meticulous masking of the rest of the interior to prevent over spray.

Any additional tips from anyone? I'll report back on my experience with durability, since that seems like an issue with a few who have tried this here.

Kelly
Old 08-23-13, 03:31 PM
MrVancey
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wear a paint mask to protect your lungs.
Old 08-23-13, 05:04 PM
momssc
Driver

Ya know, it's real easy to remove the seats and avoid all that masking of whole car..
Old 08-24-13, 11:11 AM
tcbted
Driver

[QUOTE=kjcole;8104847
Any additional tips from anyone? I'll report back on my experience with durability, since that seems like an issue with a few who have tried this here.

Kelly[/QUOTE]

I've used the SEM paint on my 91 Miata and 06 Solara with good results.
The only tip I could add is if you make a mistake and the paint runs, don't panic.
Simply wipe off the run with a clean cloth, and reapply with less spray.

The Miata was done last year, still looks great ... Solara was done in May, still looks good.

I haven't experienced any flaking or peeling on either car .... like others have posted, I simply applied rubbing alcohol, then applied the paint.

I have noticed that the paint is most effective with the top part of the can. As the can empties, you really cannot obtain an even fan spray.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-14, 10:40 PM
JSatch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NEWONE1
Hello all
just wanted to update this procedure. Talked to a tech at sem and color coat is not the product to use on leather..i know now because it is flaking off!........
He said the product should have been sure coat and use a 1500 custom mix....
bump (new lexus owner, new cl member)

is there a specific sem custom # for the lexus '09-'13 ecru color available in a spray can, or does this require a custom mix and spray equipment?

this place has lexus ecru, but sponge application, not spray (unless you own a sprayer). someone mentioned sponge application does not yield as good a result as spray.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Lexu...ors-s/1855.htm
Old 02-09-14, 12:27 AM
sdclique
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for bumping this thread JSatch. I just ordered the SEM Phantom White 15003 x 2 cans on eBay for pretty cheap. From what I have read within this thread it seems to be a pretty close match for Ecru interiors.
Old 02-16-14, 07:47 PM
dbcolli
Rookie

I went to my local Buick dealership last week and asked who they use for leather repair. They have a fellow that comes in once a week. I took in my 07 es350 that has some wear, The leather turned out looking like new, I was so pleased I took in my wife's 02 sc430 and it was showing 11 years of wear and it turned out fantastic . It only took around 45 min to do each car and the charge was only $100 per car. I could not be happier with the results or the price.
Old 02-16-14, 08:20 PM
sdclique
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dbcolli
I went to my local Buick dealership last week and asked who they use for leather repair. They have a fellow that comes in once a week. I took in my 07 es350 that has some wear, The leather turned out looking like new, I was so pleased I took in my wife's 02 sc430 and it was showing 11 years of wear and it turned out fantastic . It only took around 45 min to do each car and the charge was only $100 per car. I could not be happier with the results or the price.

Do you know how the repair was made? Was it completed with the SEM Phantom White? Thanks in advance for your insight!

Last edited by sdclique; 02-16-14 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 05:37 AM
dbcolli
Rookie

I do not know what product he used, but I know he custom mixed it to match the color.
I have his cell number and I can ask what product he uses if you need more info.
I asked how long he has been doing this and he said nine years. I am still amazed how good the car looks every time I drive it.
Old 05-03-14, 11:01 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

I don't mean to be negative or anything , some of the photos look great , but SEM is not a proper leather restoration product, it is more of a temporary solution.

The real leather dye's require you to sand and rub off the old finish with thinners which enable the new 'leather dye' to penetrate the actual leather , and not sit on top of it.

SEM is probably a great solution if your looking for a temporary solution or just a few touch ups, but a complete restoration.

Try a company called 'leatherique' or even your local leather repair shop , and bring them a sample of your color like arm rest or a small slice of l;eather from under the seat, and they can match it for you .

I would recommend strongly that you guys stop using it and use proper leather 'dye'
Old 07-29-14, 11:17 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did this touch-up earlier this summer and it looks great and is holding up great. I also bought the SEM cleaner (alcohol based), and the leather/plastic prep spray ('softens' the top layer so the paint grabs) and meticulously prepped. Looks great -- the match is as close as I could imagine. Pretty much a factory look. My wife and daughter were amazed. I did the two front seats and the top/sides of the center rest. I'll report back but it sure looks well bonded to the substrate (which is how our leather is colored - it ain't dyed).
Old 12-27-14, 04:14 AM
kuWuPt
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 44 Posts

I came across this thread while googling flaking interior and coincidentally it's on an sc430 with the ecru interior. Props to the OP for starting this thread. So I just picked up an sc430 the other day and the interior isn't exactly 'mint'. Leather was a little grungy and has stress cracks but no tears. So used the warm water and lexol method to clean the seats with a soft grey pad, rinse and wipe down with a clean cloth. Go all the dirt off but noticed small flaking patches coming off the seats.
I've used Sem before for small touchups and have never had issues with flaking even on high traffic area like the center arm rest. So I want to believe that the same procedure mentioned here was done on my seats but maybe it wasn't prepped properly so has poor adhesion. I'm going to prep the seats and put a coat on and see how it turns out. I was planning on redoing the interior at some point but till then I'm pretty sure this will hold me over.. wish me luck! I'll post updates.

Quick Reply: Ecru leather touch up