Ecru leather touch up - Page 12 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Ecru leather touch up

Old 12-27-14, 08:18 AM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kjcole View Post
I'll report back but it sure looks well bonded to the substrate (which is how our leather is colored - it ain't dyed).
So who is right? 1Willy says it's dyed and others say it's painted. What's the real scoop? Or is this like "which is the best oil to use?" kind of question?
Old 12-27-14, 08:46 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

1) My seats and center console are holding up perfectly. Absolutely no flaking....none....and this is a daily driver. The color match is perfect

2) This indeed is painted leather (at least on my 2002 it is), not dyed, as I learned by looking at a cross-section of the leather when I restitched a seam. I'll note again that I prepped the seats meticulously using the SEM cleaner (smelled strongly of alcohol - and I used a brush to scrub, especially at the seams) and the prep (surface softener).

3) Then I just used good spray technique (a wet coat without overloading, long overlapping strokes). I painted the seams first, then filled in the panels. Take the seats out, or carefully, completely mask. Don't underestimate the overspray - those aerosol droplets travel! Also, have 1 more spray can than you think you'll need because as someone else mentioned the spray starts to drip when the can still has about 1/4 to 1/8 left in it.

4) Friends have noticed - can't believe when I tell them I painted the seats - looks OEM. I'm a perfectionist and would not recommend this for our Lexus' unless I was completely confident in the recommendation
Old 12-27-14, 05:17 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kjcole View Post
Also, have 1 more spray can than you think you'll need because as someone else mentioned the spray starts to drip when the can still has about 1/4 to 1/8 left in it.
'So how much can you cover with 1 can? 1 seat, 2 seats, seat & door panel? I'm going to re-do the interior of mine in the spring when the weather warms up again.
Old 12-27-14, 09:16 PM
kuWuPt
Lead Lap

So I did this today and well it turned out great. This is the process I used though:
1 - Clean seats with Lexol diluted in warm water with a grey scotch pad (just to see if cleaning can take anything off)
2 - I sanded the seats with 320 grit sand paper, this seemed to not just smooth the leather out but also take off a layer of 'paint'? I say paint because sanding dust was the color of the seats.
3 - vacuumed dust off
4 - wipe down with 90% alcohol and grey scotch pad. This really made me think it is paint because it had the same effect of paint, it started removing or thinning the paint and the grey pad was turning white.
5 - wipe down with clean cloth
6 - quick wipe down with a clean microfiber and alcohol.
7 - Mask
8 - Spray the SEM 15003

Before:

After:

I obviously can't make a statement on longevity of it but if anything happens I'll update.
Old 12-30-14, 09:39 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

From Leather World Technologies, website:

Nearly all auto leather is a pigmented/top coat dye (emphasis added). The products listed on this page make this assumption. If you believe you have a different situation, consult Identifying Leather in our leather manual and contact us.
Old 12-30-14, 02:14 PM
Harold57
Lexus Champion

kuWuPt, nice job! An amazing transformation!
Old 07-13-17, 07:04 PM
e60bmw
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for this thread, I have a LS430 with some really faded armrests where the paint has lifted up. I've had the issue since I bought the car and never really knew how to address it. Just ordered a can of this off amazon for my ecru interior, can't wait to try it.
Old 07-14-17, 11:35 PM
Wolfhouse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kuWuPt View Post
So I did this today and well it turned out great. This is the process I used though:
1 - Clean seats with Lexol diluted in warm water with a grey scotch pad (just to see if cleaning can take anything off)
2 - I sanded the seats with 320 grit sand paper, this seemed to not just smooth the leather out but also take off a layer of 'paint'? I say paint because sanding dust was the color of the seats.
3 - vacuumed dust off
4 - wipe down with 90% alcohol and grey scotch pad. This really made me think it is paint because it had the same effect of paint, it started removing or thinning the paint and the grey pad was turning white.
5 - wipe down with clean cloth
6 - quick wipe down with a clean microfiber and alcohol.
7 - Mask
8 - Spray the SEM 15003

Before:

After:

I obviously can't make a statement on longevity of it but if anything happens I'll update.
Before I go spending the WHOPPING $15 on this, can anyone confirm the longevity of doing this? Does it wear/wipe away quickly or over time? Currently using leather touch-up, but it's not an exact match and this looks like it even fills in all the age cracks, which makes it look AMAZING.

Thank for any info on this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ecru leather touch up

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: