SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Potential SC430 owner: Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-09, 12:11 PM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I've had a 2002 Nav system since 2001, and I use it all the time, both locally and on very long trips. It is a touch screen system that is very easy to use and highly useful. As for being current, each year there is a new data disc available (for several hundred dollars; it's a dual layer DVD with about 8 Gigs of data that includes all of the US and Canada - this was one of the first systems to use the DVD; previous systems used CDs which held only enough data for a few states - the entire US required 9 discs, each of which cost about $100.00 - but I digress ...) that updates roads and "Points of Interest" (restaurants, ATM machines, gas stations, parks, airports, Lexus dealerships, etc), so this data is as current as the data disc you use. As long as they continue to make the new discs available, the system will never get obsolete, even though newer generations of the system have additional features.
It is quite nice, very helpful, easy to use, and I wouldn't leave home without it. (More accurately, I probably couldn't get home without it.)
Finally, I would never pick an add-on over a built in system: the screens are smaller and they need to be plugged in somewhere and stuck to the windshield. When you are not using the SC Nav screen, a wood door matching the rest of the interior silently slides into place to cover it.

Last edited by tfischer; 04-28-09 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Deleted swine flu references that would cause panic.
Old 04-28-09, 12:47 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that's great to hear. I'm seeing Gen 3 (which seems to be the right one for 2002) v4.1 supposedly-original discs on eBay for $130, so that's not too bad.
Old 04-28-09, 01:17 PM
tfischer

Be careful. You might get a low price on eBay for a disc with ver 4 data, but the current disc is ver 8 data, so it's a disc that's 4 years old, which means the data is 5 years old. Also, the disc could easily be a copy, and copies seldom work as well as the original (they freeze up the system from time to time, and won't reset until the car is re-started, which is inconvenient at least). You also run the risk of getting a disc for a different Gen Nav system, despite what the sellers represents.
If the data on the disc in the car is too old to be useful, why would maps from 5 years ago be any more helpful. Buy the new data disc (or wait until October and get the next one) and keep it. I think a new data disc about every 4 or 5 years is about right, unless you live in an area of rapid change.
Old 04-28-09, 01:33 PM
430-4-ME
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only benefit of a portable GPS (which is not even relevant for an SC) is taking it along when you are not traveling by car. I regularly bring one with me when I'm renting a car. Also, Nav disks can be copied, it just takes the right combo of disks, burner and software. I made quite a few coasters before getting it right. I only use the copies in my SC and ES keeping the originals as masters. My only regret is the two cars are different generations. Oh well...
Old 04-28-09, 01:46 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

tfischer, thanks for the added info. I was just doing a quick search to see what was out there. I research things to death, so I'm sure I would have found out about that before I went to make a purchase. So it sounds like I'm definitely looking at shelling out about $300 (or maybe more?) for this then, huh? Oh well, if the software is decent and touchscreen-based, then it would be worth it to me to not have a kludgier external GPS unit.
Old 04-28-09, 02:25 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

I just recently upgraded to the 8.1 disc. I'll sell you my 5.1 disc for cheap if you get a generation 2/3. I actually wish I hadn't upgraded. I see no difference at all and it cost $299.

http://www.sewellpartsonline.com/ has a $50 rebate offer going. That's the cheapest you'll find.
Old 04-28-09, 02:28 PM
rcpeters
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

There is another good and less expensive alternative than a new version 8.1 disk; buy an original version 7 or 6 or even 5 on Ebay and use that. I have version 5 in my LS430 and it is just about as good as version 8 in my SC430. I think I paid less than 100 bucks for the version 5 on Ebay over a year ago. Both cars are of course 3rd generation Nav.

Old 04-28-09, 02:51 PM
tfischer

TOOCOOL:
If you see no differences between ver 5 and ver 8 data, then you just have not accessed updated maps or POI. In many, many instances the data will be the same, because roads, gas stations and restaurants are fairly stable. You have a lot of new data, you just have not accessed it. Its value is dependent upon the amount of travel you do, the amount you access the POI info, and the amount of alteration to your immediate landscape.
I mean, really, when's the last time anything changed in Texas -- 1898?
Old 04-30-09, 04:58 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott R
I've heard that white and silver are the best colors in terms of resisting fading after a number of years. How does the pearl coating on the white hold up over time? I believe these types of finishes usually involve an undercoat of white, followed by a specialized layer (for the pearl effect), followed by a clear coat. I would imagine that perhaps the clear coat, then the pearl coat, would oxidize first and you might lose at least some of that pearl effect after a number of years. BTW, in trying to be accurate in how I refer to the color finishes, I believe the correct name for the pearl white is "White Gold Crystal."
All of my cars have been white or silver, why, because they are so much cooler getting into in the summer (20-30 degrees) from a dark colored car. Also, they are so much easier to keep clean and they don't fade. Forget the black interior if you wear shorts, in the summmer you have to sit on a towel if the tops been down !! The saddle is the best color as the ecru gets dirty no matter how clean your clothes are and your natural body oils and moisture will dirty up the center armrest. Get the saddle.
Old 05-07-09, 08:26 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Hello all, just wanted to post back here with the latest updates. I've been busy lately, so I still haven't had time to check out any SC430's in person. I'm debating checking out the '05 certified blue/ecru SC430 at a local dealership, though at $36k, I don't think I want to spend that much. Still, it would probably be worth it just to see how I like how the car drives, how bad the back seats and trunk space are, etc.

Right now, here are three cars on the top of my list:

'02 white/saddle w/62k miles @ $21,900
VIN: JTHFN48Y320005823
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...paId=137339469
- Like the price, color combo, and wheels.

'02 red/ecru w/55k miles @ $22,997
VIN: JTHFN48Y120013595
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...paId=137337223
- Like the exterior color
- Worried about paint fade and too much attention from ticket-givers, and not super-enthusiastic about the ecru/birdseye interior.

'05 silver/saddle w/54k miles @ $27,900
VIN: JTHFN48Y150065328
http://worcester.craigslist.org/ctd/1150888316.html
- Like the year, silver may not be my top color, but I like it and it holds up well to fading, like the saddle interior
- Don't like that it's priced a good bit higher than the others (but OK for year). One issue is a really ugly stain on the leather on one of the rear seats - not sure how hard/costly it would be to minimize this.

I included VINs above, in case anyone here wants to let me know of any issues they see in carfax or autocheck. If not, no biggie, as I'll probably be paying for autocheck anyway (many of the cars I've looked at had free carfax reports)

And, just to throw a curveball out there, here's another thing I'm contemplating:

'99 Mazda Miata, green/black (cloth), w/50k miles $7300
http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/1139092108.html
- Like that I could pay cash in full and keep my '99 Lexus RX300 for the winter.
- Don't like that I wouldn't have back seats, so no day trips with me, my wife, and our 10-year-old daughter.

I took my first stab at cleaning the interior of my '99 RX300 yesterday, in preparation for dealers looking it over to tell me how little they'd give me for it. I had bought some leather cleaner and I'm not sure if it's better or worse after using it. I definitely got some dirt off of the light tan leather, but the leather was in such poor shape that I think I got some of it stripped off altogether. The carpets are also in horrible condition...not sure what to do about that. The dash cleaned up nice, though.
Old 05-07-09, 08:48 AM
farkas
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First one,
4 owners, In PA,NJ,FL,NJ, clean record
Second
1 owner, In NJ, Rear ended 10/22/2003 WYCKOFF, NJ State Agency REAR IMPACT WITH ANOTHER VEHICLE (Case #:2003-11680)
Third
1 owner, In MA, Clean record!
Miata no vin available.
Pm me if you want copies of them.
Old 05-07-09, 08:54 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Thanks for that! Actually, I do have the VIN for the Miata, but I didn't want to bother the Lexus folks here with that. But, here it is: JM1NB3536X0106919

What do you think about the rear-end collision for the red one? Is that something that I should avoid altogether? I'm thinking that, as far as collisions go, a rear-end collision is probably the least worrisome since a rear bumper is probably the one part of a car best designed to absorb much of the impact of a collision. Also, the body was clearly repaired/repainted. I'm curious as to when the collision happened (mainly because if it happened more recently, I might worry about the paint fading unevenly).
Old 05-07-09, 12:12 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Thanks for that! Actually, I do have the VIN for the Miata, but I didn't want to bother the Lexus folks here with that. But, here it is: JM1NB3536X0106919

What do you think about the rear-end collision for the red one? Is that something that I should avoid altogether? I'm thinking that, as far as collisions go, a rear-end collision is probably the least worrisome since a rear bumper is probably the one part of a car best designed to absorb much of the impact of a collision. Also, the body was clearly repaired/repainted. I'm curious as to when the collision happened (mainly because if it happened more recently, I might worry about the paint fading unevenly).
Miata is a nice car but it doesn't even come close to the SC430. I have had a Miata and it is fun to drive but it is a completely different car from the Lexus. It all depends on what you are looking for. Fun ,small, bumpy convertible or a Lux, fun, smooth, comfortable hardtop/convertible.
As far as the Red SC....If it was way cheaper from the others and it didn't bother you that it had work done to it. Go for it! But it is not cheaper and why buy once broke when you can have original for the same price!
The Miata, 1 owner, In CT, clean record!
Old 05-07-09, 05:46 PM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Thanks again. Yeah, I know that the Miata is in an entirely different class. As I mentioned, I'm sort of pulled in two opposite directions (fulfill my desire for a fun-to-drive/reliable convertible as cheaply as possible versus go all-out with the SC430).

One more VIN, if you don't mind checking...
'02 silver/saddle SC430 w/56k miles, no price listed
VIN: JTHFN48Y020032896
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...paId=293435004
- Based on the other '02's I've seen with similar mileage, I would think that the asking price would be around $23k
Old 05-07-09, 06:00 PM
farkas
Lead Lap

Thanks again. Yeah, I know that the Miata is in an entirely different class. As I mentioned, I'm sort of pulled in two opposite directions (fulfill my desire for a fun-to-drive/reliable convertible as cheaply as possible versus go all-out with the SC430).

One more VIN, if you don't mind checking...
'02 silver/saddle SC430 w/56k miles, no price listed
VIN: JTHFN48Y020032896
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...paId=293435004
- Based on the other '02's I've seen with similar mileage, I would think that the asking price would be around $23k
2 Owner, In PA, Clean Record.
The SC is the only way to go! I sold a Miata to get my SC so I am a good source! With my SC I never think about my old Miata. The Miata was reliable and fun to drive but you only wanted to drive it short distances. Long drives were killers! It would beat you up and I had the LS model which had the comfort stuff on it.

Quick Reply: Potential SC430 owner: Some questions