SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is it possible to get a smooth, quiet ride in SC 430?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 12:17 AM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rlm02sc430
What was your final resolution from almost two years ago? I am experiencing same now.
Well, my final resolution was to sell the car, but not because of the ride. I found out later it had been involved in some accidents so I sold it and got a 2007 SC which made all the difference in the world.

If putting non-run-flats doesn't help your ride enough, some have said the next thing to check are the the lower control arms and bushings. They are likely cracked in both members. Look for cracks in the rubber bushings where they mount to the body. Replacing the lower control arms has reportedly been all that was needed for some and made a world of difference.

If this doesn't solve the problem, you could then check shocks, wheel bearings, upper control arms and sway bar bushings. If problems continue after all these have been ruled out, I'd probably try the coilovers next. Even people who didn't complain about the harshness of the ride say the overall comfort following the coilovers was noticeably better.
Old 01-24-12, 02:21 PM
dnguyen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put wings on it! just kiddin replace run on flat with regular tires. you will feel significantly improve. I got 2004 with run on flat. My friend has 03 with regular tires. I notice so much better when i drive his car.
Old 01-28-12, 12:39 AM
yodawise
Driver School Candidate

Moving from a 20 year old SC400 that was quite noisy due to "old" seals into the 430 was like heaven even with runflats noise...I could actually hear the radio without turning up the volume **** until "the **** won't go any further'. AND...since changing to non-run flat winter snows the ride is SOOOOOOO much smoother, [yes even on winter snows] softer and still I can hear the radio... so I guess it is all comparative to what you are used to...
I love how the car handles and definately will be buying regular high performance tires in the spring...hate the RF's and to think I only drove the car with those tires for a week...yuck!!!!!
So I suppose I should be looking to get a spare or perhaps I'll just put one of the RF's in the trunk to give me some weight for winter driving being as the top will be staying in the up position anyway.
Old 02-05-12, 06:44 PM
2002430SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rough ride solution 2002

Detail: 2002 lexus certified warranty purchased in 2007

1. 67K - replaced rf w/ michelin Pilot Sport AS plus tires
2.76K - warranty - replaced rear front bushings TSB SU004-01 limited time frame, thanks to CyberRuler
3.79K - warranty - replaced motor mount

solved jaw jarring ride.
good luck, happy camper
Old 02-06-12, 07:35 AM
TxPhantom
Rookie

All I can say is WOW... At this entire thread... I just bought a 2003 SC and it’s the quietest car I have ever owned. I cant even hear the engine, I cant hear road noise, and the ride is smooooooooooooooooooth.... WTH does anyone here expect, a totally silent car with no movement? Try getting in a different convertible and then try the SC again... I just went from a 2003 S2000... You wanna talk loud? You wanna talk road noise? You wanna talk bumps and non smooth? Sorry, but that SC is one incredible car and one amazingly smooth and quiet ride...

SMH
Old 02-06-12, 07:38 AM
TxPhantom
Rookie

Oh and to the OP... Did you drive the car BEFORE you bought it?
Old 02-06-12, 09:52 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

with factory wheels and non-runflat michelins the ride in my SC is not too far off my LS
Old 02-09-12, 08:27 AM
Gutz13
Rookie

Robsvdp, I agree with you! Best car I have ever owned and will probably keep it a long time. My car runs smooth, is quiet, and performs just fine, and that is with runflats! Can't wait to get regular tires.
Old 01-11-18, 08:31 AM
Bill486
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
Hi, I just joined because I just bought a 2002 SC with 68,000 miles. The car has non-run flat tires (Michelin Pilot XGT - 245/40 ZR 18 93W M+S), and everything I read prior to buying the car said the non-run flats made the ride noticeably better and quieter. One review said the tires transformed the ride of the car into exactly what you would expect from a high-priced Lexus vehicle.

I'm sad to say, though, that even with these non-run-flat tires, I'm very disappointed in the car. Every little bump in the road shakes the car and is loud. Is the suspension of the car a known problem?

It's as if the car does not absorb anything at all. And I'm not talking big potholes, I'm talking just any bump and crevice in the road. In addition, the tires seem to have a loud and very bothersome "whirring" noise when going 40+ mph or more.

I called my favorite tire store and the guy I talked to basically said there was nothing that could be done. He said it's just the way the car is. He said going to a V or H rated tire might help some, but probably not that much. He said the only thing that would help would be to possibly go to a smaller wheel (17 in.) which would increase the sidewall of the tire to give it a more comfortable ride. He said putting bigger wheels on it (19, 20 in.) would only make the problem worse. I would gladly give up some performance for comfort. I'm not going to be racing the car around. I just want it to drive smoothly and nicely.

I was just wondering if the rest of you have this same problem and if there's anything to be done about the ride of the car. It's just unbelievable to me that Lexus would make a car that is loud and bangs and shakes every time it hits an imperfection in the road.

Is there anything I can do to have a normal driving car? I know this is a convertible sports car, but I wouldn't think it would make THIS much difference.

BTW, the tires that are on the car are not that old and the Lexus dealer that checked the car out prior to me buying it said the tires/wheels didn't show any major problem. So this shouldn't be a tire problem. The car is in good shape and has never been hit, etc.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. The ride of the car is really interfering with my enjoyment of it and I'm already questioning my purchase. I'm also embarrassed to have anyone ride in the car because it's so loud. That's the last thing I expected when I bought the car.

Thanks!
Hello, I have the same problem with my SC 430 as the ride is firmer than say a GS..I have 17" Falkens and I plan to get something higher than a 40 series tire.
Old 01-11-18, 08:56 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill486
Hello, I have the same problem with my SC 430 as the ride is firmer than say a GS..I have 17" Falkens and I plan to get something higher than a 40 series tire.
As I mentioned in 2009:
"The original 2002 SC430's did have a bushing problem in the rear suspension ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...sion-prob.html ). There was even a Tech Service Bulletin on this problem.
I think the first thing you need to do is to see if you can check with the dealer who has performed the service on this car to see if the rear bushing upgrade was ever performed. It does make a difference."
Old 01-17-18, 02:25 PM
Lexy05
Driver School Candidate

Talking Harsh Ride

I would focus on the tires. Run flats are harsh/stiff. The 40 profile for the SC gives little tire sidewall so tire will be stiff. Shocks will only make the ride stiffer/harsh. I love my Michelins 255/40 ZR 18s.