SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Is it possible to get a smooth, quiet ride in SC 430?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-09, 01:55 PM
CBG
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguyskt
well i think the sc 430 rides friggin super gr8...even with the run flats on it. this is totally a perspective thing.

after driving the wheels off of a lotus elise with sportpack for the past 2 years and then buying a yaris hatch for daily driver that i dropped with coilovers and threw on some falken azenis 512....

umm ya the sc 430 is like sittin on the sofa baby! yaaaa

I agree about the perspective thing because I have driven nothing but Chevy and GMC SUVs for the past 15-20 years and driving this car is like driving a piece of heaven for me LOL.
Old 03-11-09, 02:49 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
I'm thinking this is the problem. I have the entire vehicle service report and I don't see anything about the bushings ever being replaced. And from the link you provided, my VIN# is much lower than the number after the corrections were enacted.

Is the Tech Service Bulletin number you provided something I can give to Lexus service and they can still look it up? Is it something that should still be covered by them.....like a recall, or do you think I'm going to get stuck with the bill?

Thanks so much for all the help on this from everyone. I'm thinking a combination of bearings/shocks, new rims and some good quality non-run flat tires should solve the problem.

Is there any reason not to go with an H rated tire? I used to have some H rated Yokohamas on an Acura Legend coupe and they were very, very smooth. Lasted many miles, too. Of course, they were only 15" tires, not 18. I'm really finding that these low profile tires are a pain. They are expensive, they don't last as long, and they provide a lower quality ride. One has to wonder why the whole industry has gone to the bigger rims/tires. I don't think the look of them justifies the additional costs/problems.

I don't know about Lexus assuming any of the cost, but this is a good TSB number. If this hasn't been done, I would have a discussion with your local Lexus folks and see if they will cover it now, since it wasn't done when it should have been. This is an important change for improving ride quality and eliminates the "clunk" when going over bad bumps and train tracks.
Old 03-11-09, 04:31 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rclab1
Jimmer: how does Nitrogen affect smooth-(ness) ride factor????

TooCooLSC: get some Continental ContiPRO's HR "GrandTouring" tires
245/40/18 OEM size Non_Run Flats. you will be amazed how
smooth the SC430 rides after these tires..... TireRack.com

These ContiPro Tires are HR rated, not high Performance, but the trade off is a night/day difference. Very quiet ride and very smooth! I've had them for two summers now and I'm never disappointed.
I was wondering why I could not relate at all to this thread. Perhaps it is because I have the Continentals also.
Old 03-11-09, 04:40 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXFM
I don't know about Lexus assuming any of the cost, but this is a good TSB number. If this hasn't been done, I would have a discussion with your local Lexus folks and see if they will cover it now, since it wasn't done when it should have been. This is an important change for improving ride quality and eliminates the "clunk" when going over bad bumps and train tracks.
I called my dealer and he tried to look up the TSB number but said the Lexus network was down and he would have to get back to me. However, he told me that he didn't think it would do anything significant to the ride quality. He basically said that the car is what it is....and it's not going to have the ride of a regular car because it's not a regular car. He said the stiff ride is due to the wheels/tires and low profile, and is not an indication that anything is "wrong."

But I test drove other SC's before buying mine and I don't remember them being so loud. If I remember correctly, when I test drove my car, I drove it mainly with the top down, so the noise and overall ride quality isn't something you would notice as much as if the top was up. (You can't think of everything when you are test driving.)

I agree with you, though. If Lexus apparently thought it was an important enough issue to come out with the TSB in the first place, then obviously there was a genuine problem associated with the bearings and they need to be replaced.

Thanks a lot for your information. I'll post what happens when I find out.
Old 03-11-09, 05:19 PM
TooCoolSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rclab1
Jimmer: how does Nitrogen affect smooth-(ness) ride factor????

TooCooLSC: get some Continental ContiPRO's HR "GrandTouring" tires
245/40/18 OEM size Non_Run Flats. you will be amazed how
smooth the SC430 rides after these tires..... TireRack.com

These ContiPro Tires are HR rated, not high Performance, but the trade off is a night/day difference. Very quiet ride and very smooth! I've had them for two summers now and I'm never disappointed.
This is from the TireRack.com website. Which do you have and how much were they?

ContiProContact
See Special Offer on this Tire

ContiProContact ContiSeal

ContiProContact SSR
Old 03-11-09, 06:43 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

This sounds a lot like the problems that I was having with my GS a month or so ago. You can read more about my symptoms and impressions here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ises-help.html

I know the GS and SC are different cars but they are built on the same platform and use some of the same mechanicals. I think a big part of my problem was that the shocks were completely worn out at 70,000 miles.

I have since upgraded to a new set of springs and shocks and my car rides far superior to how it did when stock. It is MUCH smoother and more controlled as well. I would really check into new shocks and springs if I were you...it is money very well spent.

Good luck, and welcome to Club Lexus
Old 03-12-09, 07:28 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=rclab1;4330652]Jimmer: how does Nitrogen affect smooth-(ness) ride factor????

Absolutely. it's an inexpensive upgrade that really made a difference to my ride. Once you've gone nitrogen, most tire shops will do free fill-ups, when that time comes. I also found that CostCos will top-off members for free.
Old 03-12-09, 09:15 AM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TooCoolSC
I called my dealer and he tried to look up the TSB number but said the Lexus network was down and he would have to get back to me. However, he told me that he didn't think it would do anything significant to the ride quality. He basically said that the car is what it is....and it's not going to have the ride of a regular car because it's not a regular car. He said the stiff ride is due to the wheels/tires and low profile, and is not an indication that anything is "wrong."
Welcome to CL!

The TSB is a royal PITA for the dealer, as it requires a couple hrs. of 'free' labor time. They don't want to do it. Force the issue w your dealer or go to another one. Changing out the bushings makes a world of difference. I also agree that if your shocks are orig. and you are close to 70k mileage they may be tired and buying new ones will also have a dramatic effect on your ride. Granted, the SC doesn't ride as smooth as an LS, but it shouldn't be as rough as yours is.
Old 03-12-09, 09:02 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Set tire pressure to 33 (dealers have been setting them higher to avoid false TPMS alarms)
2. When the XGT's wear out, go to Pilot Sport A/S. They ride slightly better and are quieter.
3. Get a set of TEIN C/S Coilovers. Turn down the damping (I used the lowest setting in the front and 3-4 clicks in the back), and set to stock height. Pre-2005 SC430s hard harsher shocks. Moving from stock shocks to TEINs is about the same improvement as going to non-runflats.

The SC430 with non-runflats & TEINs is about the same as the LS460 in Sport mode.

Last edited by joeyb; 03-14-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-12-09, 09:29 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect Thread

In my mind, this thread exemplifies why Lexus is killing this car. Half the members of the forum want it to drive like a large cushy LS sedan, the other half want to slam it and have it beat a G37 on the track. Lexus tried to make both happy, and ended up neither here nor there. That said, for me it strikes a great balance, so I'm happy, but clearly the general market disagrees.
Old 03-13-09, 07:55 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spring Rates - Stock vs Tein CST

Originally Posted by joeyb
1. Set tire pressure to 33 (dealers have been setting them higher to avoid false TPMS alarms)
2. When the XGT's wear out, go to Pilot Sport A/S. They ride slightly better and are quieter.
3. Get a set of TEIN C/S Coilovers. Turn down the damping, and set to stock height. Pre-2005 SC430s hard harsher shocks. Moving from stock shocks to TEINs is about the same improvement as going to non-runflats.

The SC430 with non-runflats & TEINs is about the same as the LS460 in Sport mode.
Fyi, these are the Spring Rates for the Stock SC430 springs versus the Tein CST. The big difference is the Front.

I have no idea how the Shock Rates compare.
Attached Thumbnails Is it possible to get a smooth, quiet ride in SC 430?-sc430-spring-rates.jpg  
Old 03-13-09, 12:49 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

TooCoolSC: "HR" rated tires are great to use, and the life expectancy of these tires are fantastic. they Last a very long time, my ContiPro's are rated at 400A threadwear.

there are two types of ContiPro Tires. One has a harder Side Wall, but it is very negligible! on TireRack dot com, they sell for $156, and $189 respectively. I checked about a month ago since I'm buying them again for this summer, the price fluctuates up and down about 10-20 dollars per season. They are still very cost effective. Make sure you get the HR rated Tires, they are soooo comfy and a lot quieter than the other tires this size.

You can get the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all season, but I've heard from someone on this forum that after about 10K-15K miles, they start getting loud, and the thread wear rating is lower than the ContiPro HR tires).....which explains the low mileage useage.

its up to you.
Old 01-11-12, 12:01 PM
rlm02sc430
Driver School Candidate

Default sc430 ride

I too bought a 2002 sc430 in September from my nephew---

Had hard run-flats and recently put on ContiPro---

Good choice--- better ride. Except when cold, mornings under 60 degrees, tires are a little hard with a slight 'flutter' between 45mph and 60mph..(depending on road surface).

Didn't notice with Bridgestone run-flats (but who would know! They were noisy all the time).

Just did a 4 wheel alignment-- wasn't out so not much difference.

Beginning to accept fact that initial intro of model in 2001-2002 stated ride not optimum Lexus ride-
but like someone else said.... this is a performance sports car, not a sedan.

I think the problem was/is my level of expectation. All else said --- Love the car!

rlm02sc430

Last edited by rlm02sc430; 01-11-12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-12, 12:15 PM
rlm02sc430
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=TooCoolSC;4328559]Hi, I just joined because I just bought a 2002 SC with 68,000 miles. The car has non-run flat tires (Michelin Pilot XGT - 245/40 ZR 18 93W M+S), and everything I read prior to buying the car said the non-run flats made the ride noticeably better and quieter. One review said the tires transformed the ride of the car into exactly what you would expect from a high-priced Lexus vehicle.

I'm sad to say, though, that even with these non-run-flat tires, I'm very disappointed in the car. Every little bump in the road shakes the car and is loud. Is the suspension of the car a known problem?

It's as if the car does not absorb anything at all. And I'm not talking big potholes, I'm talking just any bump and crevice in the road. In addition, the tires seem to have a loud and very bothersome "whirring" noise when going 40+ mph or more.

I called my favorite tire store and the guy I talked to basically said there was nothing that could be done. He said it's just the way the car is. He said going to a V or H rated tire might help some, but probably not that much. He said the only thing that would help would be to possibly go to a smaller wheel (17 in.) which would increase the sidewall of the tire to give it a more comfortable ride. He said putting bigger wheels on it (19, 20 in.) would only make the problem worse. I would gladly give up some performance for comfort. I'm not going to be racing the car around. I just want it to drive smoothly and nicely.

I was just wondering if the rest of you have this same problem and if there's anything to be done about the ride of the car. It's just unbelievable to me that Lexus would make a car that is loud and bangs and shakes every time it hits an imperfection in the road.

Is there anything I can do to have a normal driving car? I know this is a convertible sports car, but I wouldn't think it would make THIS much difference.

BTW, the tires that are on the car are not that old and the Lexus dealer that checked the car out prior to me buying it said the tires/wheels didn't show any major problem. So this shouldn't be a tire problem. The car is in good shape and has never been hit, etc.

Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. The ride of the car is really interfering with my enjoyment of it and I'm already questioning my purchase. I'm also embarrassed to have anyone ride in the car because it's so loud. That's the last thing I expected when I bought the car.

Thanks![What was your final resolution from almost two years ago? I am experiencing same now./QUOTE]
Old 01-11-12, 02:42 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

To be honest, its a 10 years car. It will not run as smooth as new. You may need new shock/spring & brushing + more.................. with crappy NYC street/highway, I'll due for new shock soon .....Coilover!!!!

Quick Reply: Is it possible to get a smooth, quiet ride in SC 430?