SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top mechanism is open and will not close??

Old 03-08-09, 09:53 PM
adi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Top mechanism is open and will not close??

Hi everyone, today I open the top mechanism and later in the day when I tried to close it, it did not work. When I press close button it starts to lift to trunk(as it should) and when the trunk is up, the heavy top part will not move to continue the process. Then if I hit the open button the trunk will close.
I am thinking maybe my battery doesn't have enough power to complete the whole motion? If you have any sugestions, please let me know...
Old 03-08-09, 10:02 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Enough power to start the car, right?
Old 03-08-09, 10:23 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Did you also check to make sure the trunk is closed properly and that you didnt accidentally hit the switches inside the glove compartment

*******Here is the one thing you may have overlooked, check the truck lockout/valet switch. Get a flashlightand open the glove box, you will see on the inside edge of glove box you have 2 small round black buttons, 1 is for the tires main/second switch position, the other switch is for the important][trunk and hardtop lockout for valet reasons. There is a very good chance that this button was accidentally hit and disabled the top. Let me know what you find. It's a 2 positiontoggle switch. If thi is in the off position it locks out the hard top from operating.*******

Last edited by Hey Johnny; 03-08-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-09-09, 06:43 AM
adi
Rookie

Yes, the battery starts without any problems. The button you have mentioned is in the corect position.
Now I read in the owner's manual that in the trunk are located 2 fuses #32 and #34( responsible for retractable lock system ). I am thinking I should try to close the roof manually and then check those fuses.
But I still have a feeling is the battery. A while ago (3months or so) I left the trunk open, the trunk lights were on overnight and my battery was dead in the morning. The next day I went to autozone and they charged my battery and then tested. It came out as : Bad battery. However the car started always on the first attempt and I continued to use it.
Also today after I will close the top manually, I will try to open the roof again (via button) and if it gets me back to the same situation where I am right now, it means the battery is weak and is able to drop the top (since is not requiring much power) but when is closing time it needs much more power and that's why is not finishing the process.
Old 03-09-09, 08:12 AM
rcpeters
Driver

Default Engine running while operating the top?

You can eliminate the battery concern, by operating the top with the engine running as the alternator will keep the available current level up. I always do this because the top mechanism probably draws a lot of current.

If this works, then you need to replace the battery and make sure the cable connectors are clean.

Old 03-09-09, 05:27 PM
adi
Rookie

After I read the procedure to close the top manually (seems complicated) , I decided to buy a new battery first. I purchased a Interstate MTP-91 at a local shop. Shortly after I installed the battery and tried to close the top. Unfortunately,bad news... still not working.
Ok, I knew I had to close the top manually. After 4 hours with the help of my wife my roof was closed. First time was painfull but to be honest I always wanted to learn how to do it (you never know when you need it). Once you do it once, second time it should take not more than 30'. At this point , since I had access to the trunk I checked fuse #32 and 34. Both of them looked fine. When the trunk was open , my wife noticed that right cable of the top mechanism was out of the intended channel and she put the cable back into the channel. At this time I decided to try it again, and ....to my surprise,it worked
I don't know what to say? since the right cable has tendencies to slide off the wheel to the left I added some small amounts of gorilla tape to correct the problem. I will post some pics tomorrow (showing the cable and the tape)
So far I open and close the top 4 times with no problems.I still can not believe that the cable was the cause . I quess time will tell...
Old 03-09-09, 06:08 PM
intdiamond
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by adi
...When the trunk was open , my wife noticed that right cable of the top mechanism was out of the intended channel and she put the cable back into the channel. At this time I decided to try it again, and ....to my surprise,it worked
why are our wives always f****n' right???

When I bought my car, the salesman lectured me about never operating the top (up or down) without the engine running, as it's not designed to operate on battery power alone.

Glad your problem is solved.
Old 03-09-09, 09:49 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adi
After I read the procedure to close the top manually (seems complicated) , I decided to buy a new battery first. I purchased a Interstate MTP-91 at a local shop. Shortly after I installed the battery and tried to close the top. Unfortunately,bad news... still not working.
Ok, I knew I had to close the top manually. After 4 hours with the help of my wife my roof was closed. First time was painfull but to be honest I always wanted to learn how to do it (you never know when you need it). Once you do it once, second time it should take not more than 30'. At this point , since I had access to the trunk I checked fuse #32 and 34. Both of them looked fine. When the trunk was open , my wife noticed that right cable of the top mechanism was out of the intended channel and she put the cable back into the channel. At this time I decided to try it again, and ....to my surprise,it worked
I don't know what to say? since the right cable has tendencies to slide off the wheel to the left I added some small amounts of gorilla tape to correct the problem. I will post some pics tomorrow (showing the cable and the tape)
So far I open and close the top 4 times with no problems.I still can not believe that the cable was the cause . I quess time will tell...

To Mrs. Adi
Old 03-09-09, 09:50 PM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Ive actually read a few others having problems with the top and cable being the cause. Since you mentioned the battery, I thought it was an electrical issue
Old 03-10-09, 06:06 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Never operate the top without the engine running; I thought we all knew this.
Old 03-10-09, 08:02 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
Never operate the top without the engine running; I thought we all knew this.

I do this all the time, with no ill effects. With the LuxLink, it's very easy to get the top-going-down started before getting to the car.

I've never had a single issue with doing it this way.

Technically, with the LuxLink, you can start the car and have it put the top down after the car has started...all remotely.

However, it doesn't really work that well in the real world.

The remote doesn't have THAT much range and there's a bit of a sequence to get this all to happen continuously.

If I start doing this as I'm walking up to the car, by the time I get the whole process going, I'm IN the car, waiting for it to start "remotely".
Old 03-10-09, 08:34 AM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

That's why I decided against luxlink and went with autopage. 1/4 mile range for remote start and remote hardtop
Old 03-10-09, 08:54 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

You can operate the top on the battery "without a single issue" for years, but should the battery give out during the operation, as it can without warning, you are stuck with a dead battery and with the top in a position you may not find optimal.
To avoid this, just have the engine running while operating the top. Then it will never happen. Ever.
It's a form of insurance.
Old 03-10-09, 09:16 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Brah Pitt
That's why I decided against luxlink and went with autopage. 1/4 mile range for remote start and remote hardtop
True but, it's hard to beat the convenience of doing all of it through the factory key fob.
Old 03-10-09, 10:09 AM
Hey Johnny
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Habious
True but, it's hard to beat the convenience of doing all of it through the factory key fob.
Agreed, but my LCD remote tells me the inside temp of my car so my delicate *** doesn't get burned rofl

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top mechanism is open and will not close??