Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 10:31 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by DJHydrogen
sooo... I think I'll put some 4ohm in the doors, 8ohm subs. ��
some here say that is okay while others believe it damaged their ML amp. Why change the speakers?
BTW, plenty of threads on speakers in here...
Old 02-02-17, 01:49 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear headrest covers

The rear headrest covers are surprisingly easy to remove and are already painted the color of the body.😎 they are also surprisingly not durable. 😒
Old 02-07-17, 04:12 PM
nomods4me
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The rear headrest covers are surprisingly easy to remove and are already painted the color of the body.😎 they are also surprisingly not durable. 😒
that comment really calls for a story - what happened to your headrests?
Old 02-07-17, 05:08 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Default split headrests

Originally Posted by nomods4me
that comment really calls for a story - what happened to your headrests?
They were already split along the seam when I bought the car. I'm actually removing the entire rear seat to lose some weight. The seats themselves are still really in good condition; anybody wanna buy them? The leather on the headrests is still good, as well the plastic, they just don't line up. I'll throw those in as well.
Old 02-14-17, 01:34 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Default pie plates...

I removed the pie plates and all the machine screws for them... 6 m'f'n POUNDS. And that's rotational mass!

goodbye.
Old 03-26-17, 10:41 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just found this absolute gem of a thread. Sandwich useful Random information. Brilliant, thank you guys!
Old 03-26-17, 10:43 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Originally Posted by depone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just spent over $700 to repair a door dent put in by some inconsiderate ***. I really think in some cases it's done by an envious dimwit. One time, while exiting a grocery store I saw a woman empty her cart and then push it hard toward three empty parking places across the aisle and send it crashing into the side of my car. When I confronted her she said "it's only a car. what are you going to do about it?"

Being the commanding officer of a sheriffs department I took her by the shoulder, turned her around, cuffed her and called for a cruiser to transport her to the county jail. All that frozen food! Too bad lady.

She got 100 hours of community service and had to pay full restitution for the damages. For some reason I felt much better.
Wish I can do this every time. Good move!
Old 03-26-17, 11:46 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Just this week I found out that if your seat memory buttons don't work, it means that they have to be calibrated by simply moving the seat all the way forward until a beep, then moving the seat recline all the way forward until a beep while the engine is turned on and that does it.

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
I really hope at least one of these is not already listed.

1. If you hold down the AM and disc buttons, the rear antenna is ejected.
2. If you hold down the FM and disc button, the secondary antenna in the windshield cuts power and the rear antenna stops auto adjust.
3. If you turn the dash dimmer all the way on the GPS no longer goes into night mode.
4. The GPS uses the same DIAS controller designed for the bradly fighting vehicle. It auto calibrates position based on speed and wheel turn sensors without a GPS signal. The contractor lost security clearance for selling this to Toyota. The DOD at the time wanted to be able to disable GPS, and prohibited auto correction in non-military systems.
5. The SC430 price was raised $6000 in the US and $8000 in Europe to avoid perception as a cut rate car.
6. If you hold down the traffic button it will tune any emergency station.
7. If you really truly love your car, it will in fact love you back.
Thank you for the number 2, I was wondering why mine wasn't adjusting automaticaly
Old 04-05-17, 01:31 AM
smariasg63
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquanuke
Haha well I knew that and I dont have that button

But that will prompt me to ask this question..

Instead of that button my same button retracts both side mirrors inwards. However I still have the headlight washers, so what makes my headlight washers come on?
Hello aquanuke, I don't think I have the side mirror function that you mentioned. What year is your SC430? Mine is a 2007 Pebble Beach edition so I'm assuming that model year didn't get that function added in.
Old 04-05-17, 09:19 AM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by depone
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just spent over $700 to repair a door dent put in by some inconsiderate ***. I really think in some cases it's done by an envious dimwit. One time, while exiting a grocery store I saw a woman empty her cart and then push it hard toward three empty parking places across the aisle and send it crashing into the side of my car. When I confronted her she said "it's only a car. what are you going to do about it?"

Being the commanding officer of a sheriffs department I took her by the shoulder, turned her around, cuffed her and called for a cruiser to transport her to the county jail. All that frozen food! Too bad lady.

She got 100 hours of community service and had to pay full restitution for the damages. For some reason I felt much better.
-NEED OPINION-

Last week in the parking lot while opening my door graze/rub other car, not a dent or paint/scrape, just on clear coat visible only closer than 2 feet (buffing?) . However, I agreed to pay $120. Later I texted her to send me couple of pictures before I mail her the check, her response was she would do it during lunch break , 4 days ago

This is not a moving violation, would not show up on my driving record?

Can she surprise by reporting me to the insurance/authority?
Old 04-05-17, 02:12 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. She may have figured not worth messing with. Even if she calls your ins. company...they will need info from you. She could call the police and do an accident report...but nothing will show on your record. She is way ahead to take your 120.
The following users liked this post:
Prasha (04-05-17)
Old 04-05-17, 10:23 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I removed the pie plates and all the machine screws for them... 6 m'f'n POUNDS. And that's rotational mass!

goodbye.
with or without machine screws, makes difference?
Old 04-06-17, 08:16 PM
sprcarrera
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

goodbye.
I think that looks good!
Old 10-12-17, 12:56 PM
HardTimes
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Marking for a future read

Really enjoyed this thread a few days ago and could not find it forever. I'm a new SC owner and really appreciate the interesting observations of others. Thank you for those that post here. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute soon.
Old 10-12-17, 04:26 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Surprising things you learned about the SC long after buying it