SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

IS convertible vs SC430

Old 07-12-09, 06:48 AM
jimmer!
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

like a solara. that's rich and right on.
most lexus' carry the same soft, non-distinctive styling.
the sc430 is a real product line anomaly and a rare beauty.
Old 07-12-09, 12:22 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the sc looks like its gonna die..... the IS convertible will make a F brand thus making it a ISF-c. that will replace the sc. than the lf-a will be produced but only a limited amount with a heavy price. i dont think we will see another sc for a long LONG time prolly never. if anything we will prolly see a 2 door version of the LS to compete with the CL63 AMG
Old 07-12-09, 01:01 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus999
the sc looks like its gonna die..... the IS convertible will make a F brand thus making it a ISF-c. that will replace the sc. than the lf-a will be produced but only a limited amount with a heavy price. i dont think we will see another sc for a long LONG time prolly never. if anything we will prolly see a 2 door version of the LS to compete with the CL63 AMG
Even if the SC becomes faded out, some people will like the idea of driving a vehicle that had "limited production." It's pretty annoying when you see an abundance of the same vehicle you drive on the road (a la ISx50s and RX-series). People hardly see SC430s on the road already (compared to GS and IS vehicles), therefore in a couple of years, when the SC is very rare, it will make it that much more eye-catching when you see one.
Old 07-12-09, 11:33 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
Even if the SC becomes faded out, some people will like the idea of driving a vehicle that had "limited production." It's pretty annoying when you see an abundance of the same vehicle you drive on the road (a la ISx50s and RX-series). People hardly see SC430s on the road already (compared to GS and IS vehicles), therefore in a couple of years, when the SC is very rare, it will make it that much more eye-catching when you see one.

doubt it.... i use to love the SC until I sat in one...tape deck, underpowered v8, 4000 lb weight, useless backseats, poor mileage, outdated styling, bug eyed head lights... thats why I choose the ISF. when I was around the SC long enough I just kept thinking its an OLD Woman's car. When I got the ISF I knew I made the right choice
Old 07-13-09, 02:34 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

You're right. This car just screams old woman....
Attached Thumbnails IS convertible vs SC430-black-sc430-twin-spoke-2.jpg  
Old 07-13-09, 06:11 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get it. Why, if you're a dude, would you not want to drive a car that appeals to women? Unless, of course, you're trying to attract men....
Old 07-13-09, 06:39 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus999
I'd like to think that the SC isn't going anywhere. There has been internet rumors of an upcoming SC with a ragtop/softtop but that's just hearsay. Hopefully Lexus updates the SC 430 into the SC 460...

Last edited by Trexus; 07-13-09 at 06:42 PM.
Old 07-13-09, 07:49 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

This thread is about isc vs sc430.
If you find other car that suits you better, congrats and move on.

FYI, I just read an article on a Japanese car website that states the main target of IS250C is women.

IS250C上陸、メインターゲットは女性.
Old 07-13-09, 10:28 PM
Lexus999
Pole Position

Originally Posted by playa3uhh
You're right. This car just screams old woman....
compared to my car.... yes LOL

Old 07-14-09, 01:00 AM
typeriz
Driver School Candidate

im sorry to burst ure is-f bubble, i know it has more ***** than the sc, but if u want to get the chickys sc430 all the way!!! but the is-f is a fun drive so im not hatin!! both of you guys have nice rides, have fun with them..
Old 07-14-09, 02:59 AM
howdybob22
Pole Position

My IS350 is a great daily driver, but if I have to choose, I still choose the SC430 (this is from a guy who originally bought the SC mainly for the wife). For me, I'll take the smoothness and classy characters of the SC over the gadgets and a little quicker characters of the IS350. Here's my order of preference that differ a bit from the OP:
1. SC430
2. G37 convertible
3. IS350c
Old 07-14-09, 05:34 AM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmer!
like a solara. that's rich and right on.
most lexus' carry the same soft, non-distinctive styling.
the sc430 is a real product line anomaly and a rare beauty.
+1 Jimmer, I was lookng at a Solara until I realized IT WASN'T A LEXUS!! The interiors are not even comparable and I wanted that hard top. The SC is indeed a rare beauty!
Old 07-14-09, 06:47 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am almost, but not really, surprised by some of the responses that "put down" the IS convertible as a Solara or the SC430 as an old woman's car. What's surprising to me is that the put-downs on this forum are usually reserved for vehicles that are not Lexus (and Toyota) products. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge automotive advancement and progress? Knowing Lexus, I am sure that all they have learned about convertible/coupes from the SC430 has gone into the IS convertible. The SC430 was a revolutionary car when it debuted in 2001 as a 2002 model. I recall lusting after that car and, eventually, buying 2 of them. I think it's safe to say that the SC430 was the car that most changed its segment in the luxury car category. The SC430 is not a "limited production" car as some here have suggested (ten of thousands were built and sold), but it is an icon in my opinion. I see the IS convertible as an entirely different class of car from the SC430. The IS class has always been targeted at the category occupied by such cars as the 3-Series, Audi 4 series, and MB C-Class. So, regardless of whether Lexus continues with the SC line, my belief if that the IS convertible was NOT designed and developed to replace the SC430. It seems to me that aside from reliability and quality, what matters most about owning a car is that (to borrow from the ad) when you turn it on, it returns the favor. It's a personal experience, it doesn't matter what make or model or whether it's bone stock or modified. So, discussions about whether an IS (or IS-F) is better than an SC or GS or LS or, something else outside of the brand, really is just an opportunity to profess a personal opinion and the joy of ownership of a particular car.
Old 07-14-09, 05:19 PM
PureZ
Driver

Performance-wise, I love the IS-F but it looks like a IS250/350 with a cheap body kit on it. The fake "stacked" exhaust-tips are a disappointment. Personally the looks of the IS-C hasnt grown on me. Maybe im used to seeing it in sedan form.
I honestly never considered a SC430 until I saw the modded ones on this site. Now, im selling my E90 to begin my search for one.
Old 07-14-09, 05:31 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

I didn't mean to give off the impression that I dislisked the IS. I think the IS is good car and just that I personally like the SC better. It is probably a biased opinion consider I own one, but to each his own. They were both built by an amazing manufacturer and were built with different mindsets and purposes. Long story short, both are great cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS convertible vs SC430