SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

sc430 fog light bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-02, 05:39 AM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sc430 fog light bulbs

For those of you wondering about the type of foglight bulb in the SC430, I have the answer.

Last weekend, I finally got the time to "explore" the foglight bulbs on the SC. After removing just about the whole damn front end, (just kidding - I had to remove the plastic underneath the foglights and toward the wheel wells) I finally was able to get my hands on the bulbs. They are H3. I replaced the bulbs with Nokya Arctic White 4100K. The color looks closer, no where near the color of the HID of course, but closer. The foglights are now brighter which make for better visibility and aesthetics. From far away, the color seems to blend much better than the stock bulbs.

Now I just need to get to the damn parking lights in the headlight housing. Anyone done this yet? If so, please let me know how?

Here is a pic. the fog lights used to be the same color as the parking lights.

BTW, also just changed the GS headlight bulbs to the new PIAA Super Plasma 5000K. This pic does not do those bulbs justice. I think its cause the pic was taken too far to the right.
I highly recommend these bulbs to those who are unfortunate, like me, to not have the HID.

MAC
Attached Thumbnails sc430 fog light bulbs-sc430-nokya.jpg  

Last edited by 0260n5.7; 02-15-02 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-15-02, 07:55 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool -- thanks for that.
I guess I've only seen the front of my car when it's off, but the fog lights do need a boost. Do you recommend the Nokya's over the PIAA's H3's? I haven't checked yet, but I assume that it's a 55w bulb.

As for the parking lights, I had the same problem with my SC400. I still don't know how I could have gotten to that bulb.
Old 02-15-02, 03:19 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

antigeek,

No problem. Being on Guam I don't have the luxury of going to the nearest performance shop and buying bulbs. I opted for the Nokyas because, quite frankly, those were the only bulbs readily available on Guam and I already had the front end apart. The Nokyas are 55W & the package states a 75W performance. At this point I am happy with the outcome. I will eventually get a set of PIAA Super Plasma 5000K H3s because I really like the performance of the PIAA bulbs. Believe me, I've gone through many.
Old 02-15-02, 07:37 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Thanks for the reply.

I saw an IS300 on the way home from work today.
They have an amber glow instead of white, which traditionally is a more appropriate color for fog lamps.

http://www.piaa.com/h3bulbs.html

PIAA's Ion Crystal (13555) creates an amber color.
Anyone think this is a cool color for an SC430?
It'd be more functional in a true fog condition (even though I live in Dallas), but would it look cool?
Old 02-15-02, 08:24 PM
0260n5.7
Lexus Tuner

antigeek,

Your last post conjures up a question. Are these really Fog lights or are they driving lights? Generally, a true fog light should be activated while the headlights are off. The headlights glare off of the fog, therefore, fog lights, which are lower and generally yellow, would giva a lower perspective and presumably higher visibility.

I know for a fact that on BMWs, the fog lights can be turned on in conjunction with the parking lights while the headlights are off. They can also remain on with the headlights. My GS & SC fog/driving lights cannot be turned on unless the headlights are on. Just an observation.

Also, IMO, it looks better if all lights on the front of a vehicle are the same color.

MAC
Old 02-16-02, 04:08 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

0260n5.7 ...

I agree with your assessment regarding fog lamps; what are called fog lights don't really seem to do the job. Years ago I installed a round Lucas clear fog lamp on one side of my grill and and a companion Lucas "Flame Thrower" driving lamp on the other. While driving through very thick fog on a winding two-laner, I flicked on the fog lamp and turned the headlights off. The light was scattered so efficiently, I had no problem tooling along at 60mph. And I mean scattered! I could even see far off the road into the fields.

The Flame Thrower was astounding on clear nights - I could almost see into the next week!
Old 02-18-02, 11:18 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

While I agree that fog lights should operate independently, I'm pretty sure that it's illegal in many states to do so. The after-market system I got (when I bought a used car) had them attached to the headlamps, so they wouldn't go on without them. Of course I remedied that .
Old 12-24-10, 04:16 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC430 Fog Lights

Originally Posted by 0260n5.7
For those of you wondering about the type of foglight bulb in the SC430, I have the answer.

Last weekend, I finally got the time to "explore" the foglight bulbs on the SC. After removing just about the whole damn front end, (just kidding - I had to remove the plastic underneath the foglights and toward the wheel wells) I finally was able to get my hands on the bulbs. They are H3. I replaced the bulbs with Nokya Arctic White 4100K. The color looks closer, no where near the color of the HID of course, but closer. The foglights are now brighter which make for better visibility and aesthetics. From far away, the color seems to blend much better than the stock bulbs.

Now I just need to get to the damn parking lights in the headlight housing. Anyone done this yet? If so, please let me know how?

Here is a pic. the fog lights used to be the same color as the parking lights.

BTW, also just changed the GS headlight bulbs to the new PIAA Super Plasma 5000K. This pic does not do those bulbs justice. I think its cause the pic was taken too far to the right.
I highly recommend these bulbs to those who are unfortunate, like me, to not have the HID.

MAC
Anyone know the exact HID head light bulb number so that I can match that number with the fog HID's I am trying to find? My first goal is to have the fog lights and the HID headlights match. Secondly, I like to turn off my regular DRL's and run the HID fog lights as my DRL's.

I have been searching this forum for that number but may have misses it in my search.

2005 SC430
Old 12-24-10, 04:39 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

wow.. ancient thread

It is H3 as stated in your owner's manual.
Old 12-27-10, 01:28 PM
BLAQ ICE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang
wow.. ancient thread

It is H3 as stated in your owner's manual.

Thank you.
Old 12-27-10, 07:57 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The fogs hard to get to?
Old 12-27-10, 08:11 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

drop the bumper (yes)
Old 10-14-16, 08:08 PM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PIAA is a joke.

I love comic books, especially the covers. The real story behind the PIAA lights is they're a marketing hoax, made with cute labels and promises that can't be fulfilled by laws of physics, thermodynamics or lilghting engineering. They were snake oil when they came out, and even more worthless now, but I guess most of the posts here are from 2002 or so, and no one takes a look at lighting tests on how tinted bulbs actually reduce available visible light.
Keep buying this garbage and we could get to Mars on just a few plastic boxes with aluminum Kiss record fake Japanese graphics..it could happen-but then, Trump could actually be next president too!
Old 01-04-18, 07:49 AM
antigeek
Pole Position

Wow. I only share your skepticism on who won the election.

I bought and used them because I liked them, not because of any of their claims.
Old 01-08-18, 04:48 AM
Buggeroff6
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Don't blame me, I'm only the PIAA flamer

Well, if you went to all the trouble of removing lower parts of the SC, why didn;t you just use LED bulbs at least?
All the folks funning around with fogs on lights off...you're not overdriving your fogs, you're underdriving your visibility-only thing that will have a better view of your car is the insurance
adjuster!
With all due respect to Guam (and the real or imaginary threat of nukes lighting the place up courtesy of the Prince Of tthe Bad Elvis)...have you thought about that scene in Raiders Of the Lost Ark, where he scares off the snakes with torches? Might be effective supplemental lighting in your parts, given what I've heard about the ghastly number of non-naticve snakes,
might wanna get the Hunka-Hunka Burning Trump to work on deportation of them all to N.K?

Quick Reply: sc430 fog light bulbs