SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Update on Replacing SC430 Trunk Lid Closers - Struts

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-10, 06:48 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

So I just installed the new struts on ebay. pretty easy. only problem i'm concerned with is that when opening or closing the trunk, you gotta use a bit of strength to lift it open but especially when putting it down. when i lift the trunk up, it goes up slowly but right before its fully opens it kinda opens tooo quick and kinda shakes the whole trunk. is that really ok??? i guess the saying goes you get what you pay for. thats the only thing i'm concerned about. i could put a little strength into opening or closing it, but when it opens kinda swiftly at the end, kinda scares me that the shaking of the whole trunk from it opening too quickly will like.. cause something to come loose or break or something? any input would be appreciated

Last edited by Pnuge88; 11-23-10 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-26-10, 07:26 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put new struts on and yes, you have to lift the trunk to get it open with a bit of effort. Since the trunk lid opens both forward and backward the trunk lid will have more movement (play?) than a standard (non hard top convertible) trunk lid.

A few open/close combos will have them working smoother.
Old 03-29-13, 06:13 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Lifters Again- Reviving an Old Topic

Hey Everyone,
So i'm going to repost on this topic b'c I am asking if anyone has any suggestions on a company who makes the proper lifters for the 2002 Lexus SC430? After reading this post, I found that some complained about increased amount of energy required to open or close the trunk, or even a problem with the trunk being too "loose." So I was thinking if anyone could recommend a certain company or brand of Lifters to order through Ebay. There are just so many options on Ebay? Is there a brand that someone has tried and is happy with? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-29-13, 10:43 PM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased mine from EBay back in June 2012. There is a noticeable difference in the amount of force you need to close the trunk, I think that is only due to the fact your factory struts are worn out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-REAR-TRUNK-LID-LIFT-SUPPORTS-SHOCKS-STRUTS-ARMS-PROPS-RODS-DAMPER-LEXUS-SC430-/190817832502?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASC430&hash=item2c6da10e36
Old 03-30-13, 08:06 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...I agree with sqrmark....any of the new struts will need more force,only because they are new. I purchased my struts off ebay (lift support depot) & it's a world of difference, in a good way...lol
Old 03-31-13, 09:45 AM
sebtown
Driver

Previous owner put on oem struts (she was service manager at Toyota) and my trunk definitely takes more of my energy to open then my other cars
Old 04-11-13, 04:55 PM
baronoff
Driver School Candidate

Default New Member gives big THANKS to the Forum

Folks, I hope this gets into the correct thread.

I'm a new forum member, having joined after some research into a problem with my 2005 SC430 trunk struts. My local Southern California dealer quoted $592 to replace them. Folks on the forum pointed me towards EBay where I got a set for $37.99, with free shipping from Wisconsin.

Following instructions in various threads, it took me all of 15 minutes to swap out the old for new. I did run into a small problem as I couldn't get the lower clips on the new struts when the trunk was open. I thought about it for a few minutes (included in the 15 above) and decided that I could take the old one off, secure the upper end, set the lower end into place and then open the roof halfway. In that way the lower end was completely accessible and the clip popped on easily.

Although I'm new to the forum, I'm not NEW. The last time I tried any automotive repairs was in 1975 on my 1970 Volvo. So thanks from a Senior Citizen Newbie who appreciates all the help here.

baronoff
Pasadena, CA
2005 SC430
Old 04-11-13, 07:33 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Ordered mine yesterday. Tired of having to prop the trunk open with a broom stick, or trying to balance it on my head. Serious pain in the butt.
Old 04-12-13, 04:13 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the new struts I installed from Lift Support Depot. Yes you have to lift it a bit but then they take over and raise the trunk. Then to close, you pull the trunk down and bit and they close completely ... No more leaving the trunk unlatched.
Old 11-17-13, 07:57 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm about to replace my trunk struts, due to the trunk becoming a bit heavier to open. With that said, I'm kind of amazed at the price difference for the OEM trunk struts vs. what you can purchase on Ebay. I assume no has had any problems with the Ebay trunk struts and it appears to be an easy DIY job.

One other question, do these struts play any role in the top opening and closing? More specifically, would new struts put less stress on the convertible motors, probably not, but worth asking the question.

Last edited by sixonemale; 11-17-13 at 08:08 AM.
Old 11-17-13, 11:07 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by sixonemale
I'm about to replace my trunk struts, due to the trunk becoming a bit heavier to open. ....

One other question, do these struts play any role in the top opening and closing? More specifically, would new struts put less stress on the convertible motors, probably not, but worth asking the question.
Yes, the struts do affect the top mechanism. My top started having trouble opening, it would quit right after lifting the top up and opening the trunk. When I replaced the struts (which were obviously bad), the top problem went away.
Old 11-17-13, 11:53 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply and input. I'll gladly replace the struts just a tad early bit early on in their lifespan to ensure longer life the convertible top mechanism.
Old 11-23-13, 07:36 AM
chrisv78
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vote for OEM -- And Thanks Harold57

Okay, I did a test before Harold57 made his post. I bought some "guaranteed to fit" trunk struts off of eBay. When they arrived I looked at them and noticed how small they are. I couldn't believe that they would last as long or function as well as the OEM units, and for $25 I figured I had saved a bunch of cash. I installed the day after Harold's post and read the update the following day (I get the forum summary where I track/post on Sunday).

Anyway, the post seemed like an omen for me, and potentially a very costly warning, so I ordered the OEMs earlier this week and they arrived yesterday. Good thing, as when I went outside this morning to put the new struts on, the cheapy struts did not hold up the trunk. However I am pretty quick changing them out now.

THANKS HAROLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lesson learned. Toyota knows.
Old 11-23-13, 11:59 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

I ordered this brand of trunk struts on Ebay this week and they arrived in about two days:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Qty-2-LEXUS-SC430-2000-To-2010-Trunk-Lift-Supports-Struts-With-Spoiler-/370915748978?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ASC430&hash=item565c4d2c72&vxp=mtr
I installed them by propping the trunk open with a broom stick (thought about using an iron or driver, but not as stable) and the job took about 15 mins, most of that time evaluating the new struts compared to the old, checking to make sure the length of the struts matched the OEMs, etc. Once the trunk was propped open, it took about 5-10 minutes to actually remove the old ones and put the new ones in. Because I replaced OEM struts before they were completely worn out, I had a good comparison. The trunk opens slightly easier and about the same to close, perhaps slightly more force is required, but not significantly noticeable. I also opened and closed the top without a problem.

The key to this repair IMO is taking the time to find the right flat head screw driver and prop device before starting the task.

Update - the important test: I had my wife who mostly drives the car open the trunk and as I watched her open it up, when it was up to the 3/4 mark of being fully opened, it opened up the rest of the way by itself. She said it's easier to open and noticed no difference in closing it.

Last edited by sixonemale; 11-23-13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-17-13, 08:21 AM
tdedden
Rookie

I purchased the Wisconsin Auto Supply (WAS) struts on E-Bay for $32 (free shipping, woohoo!) and installed them last night. The only tools needed were two screwdrivers - very small flat tip to retract the retainer clip grip for the old and new strut; a medium flat tip to gently pry off the old struts; and a broom handle to suppport the trunk lid (is that a "tool"?). The most challenging part was finding a small screw driver with a super skinny flat tip to retract the retainer clip jaws. I found that my electrical tester screwdriver worked fine.

The actual act of removing/installing takes maybe a few minutes per strut. They fit/work fine, I must have opened/closed the trunk a dozen times to make sure that it fully opened, closed securely, and wasn't going to come down on my head like it did prior to the changeout.

The $32 material cost and <30 minutes of my time compares favorably to the nearly $500 quote from the dealer ($375 for the pair of struts and an hour labor). I see that Sewell gives a decent discount for them however it's not a stretch of the imaginatin to speculate that there are only a few manufacturers of the same product and one production run gets the Lexus graphics and another run gets Wisconsin Auto Supply graphics.

Quick Reply: Update on Replacing SC430 Trunk Lid Closers - Struts