SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Transmission Shifting Prematurely

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-08, 08:23 AM
DDLexus
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Transmission Shifting Prematurely

While sitting at a stoplight (Car in Drive, with normal MODE selected), I accelerate at an average pace and the car shifts from 1st to 2nd, then 3rd and as I hold the accelerator steady, the car realizes that 3rd is not the right gear yet, and downshifts back to 2nd for a few seconds then returns to 3rd and progresses up normally from there. It certainly is annoying that the car shifts prematurely into 3rd frequently. See image attached...

If I put the pedal down and really get it on it or start off very slowly, it shifts OK. But under normal conditions it seems to hickup. I've thought about going to the stealership to complain about the Transmission (cause I think there is a 7 year warranty on it), but don't want to waste time there. They always seem to drag everything out and make it a pain in the **** to visit them

Does any other SC430 drivers experience the behavior that I've had with my car?
Attached Thumbnails Transmission Shifting Prematurely-tranny1.jpg  
Old 03-28-08, 09:23 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would suggest disconnecting your neg battery terminal and allowing the ecu to reset. What you are describing is that ecu has tried to adapt itself to your driving habits and so there for it tends to shift into the next gear earlier. Just let the ecu reset and then for the next couple of days drive the car a little bit more aggressively, and once the new parameters are set into the ecu the car should no longer exhibit those behaviors.

Here is just a little example, whenever I happen to drive my mom’s car I see that no matter how much I punch the gas the car climbs to around 4500K and then shifts. The car has adapted to her driving style and therefore never hits redline on its ****s.
Old 03-28-08, 02:31 PM
DDLexus
Racer

Tommy,
I agree this will re-set the ECT, but what other things are lost... Memory seats, radio stations, Nav-maintenance info, garage settings, TPM? I wonder what is impacted by disconnecting the battery.

Kinda scared to do this... Your thoughts?
Old 03-28-08, 02:37 PM
Habious

Memory seats and HomeLink (garage-door opener) for sure.

I lost these settings once when the dealer did it. The seat wasn't that big of a deal, just a little annoying. The HomeLink was (and still is) a big deal! I don't have a remote to use to teach the unit (I live in a condo and I borrowed someone's). This really screwed me. Also, the dealer didn't warn me he was going to do this nor even tell me afterwards that it had been done. If found out when I tried to get in the garage and the button no-workie!
Old 03-28-08, 03:21 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Humm that is very odd, just last night I was working on my car and disconnected the battery for over an hour. Granted that my memory seats, trip computer, and radio stations went out but everything else worked. I went in and out of my garage multiple times and the homelink worked perfectly.

Ok you could try it another route, gab your owners manual and look for the ecu fuse, in the fuse box. It’s typically located in the engine bay, once you located the fuse pull it and then replace it after a minute or two. This will reset the ecu computer with out having to pull the battery terminal off.

edit: I do not store any information on my navigation maintenance computer so I cannot comment on that, and as for the tpm's I have never ran into an issue with them going off.
Old 03-29-08, 01:10 PM
whokiid
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DDLexus
While sitting at a stoplight (Car in Drive, with normal MODE selected), I accelerate at an average pace and the car shifts from 1st to 2nd, then 3rd and as I hold the accelerator steady, the car realizes that 3rd is not the right gear yet, and downshifts back to 2nd for a few seconds then returns to 3rd and progresses up normally from there. It certainly is annoying that the car shifts prematurely into 3rd frequently. See image attached...

If I put the pedal down and really get it on it or start off very slowly, it shifts OK. But under normal conditions it seems to hickup. I've thought about going to the stealership to complain about the Transmission (cause I think there is a 7 year warranty on it), but don't want to waste time there. They always seem to drag everything out and make it a pain in the **** to visit them

Does any other SC430 drivers experience the behavior that I've had with my car?

ive had the same thing happen to me and ive always wondered if maybe i was doin somethin wrong, or maybe it was because of my intake and exhaust.

has reseting the ecu fixed the problem? has anyone tried it?
Old 03-29-08, 11:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Not normal behavior and Tommy gives good advice. Also, the Homelink should not be affected, at least mine never was with the battery disconnected for days.
Old 03-30-08, 12:39 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Default Resetting ECU

This method works for me without losing any settings:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 mins. for a full alignment.

6. Remove key.

7. Done
The following users liked this post:
SC430VA (12-18-21)
Old 03-30-08, 08:00 PM
whokiid
Driver

really?

really??????
Old 03-31-08, 02:41 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Anybody else had any experience with this? This seems awfully easy.
Old 03-31-08, 03:30 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default RoofLess

wow! RoofLess, will this work with the 2002 SC430 also? seems too easy for a resetting of the ECU. ? ! ? !

has anyone tried it? if I do the above, will it reset my seats and homeLink also? or will it just reset the ECU ?????

thanks
Old 03-31-08, 04:26 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Yes, it works. (I have a '02.)

It doesn't affect any settings, except the ECU.

Really. (SNL)

Last edited by Roofless; 04-01-08 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-01-08, 11:59 AM
rclab1
Pole Position

To: RoofLess. am still amazed! wow! where did you find out about this Resetting of ECU only? from the dealership?
Old 04-01-08, 02:30 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

I found out about it 8 years ago when I had a Mercedes. Then about three years ago, someone here posted that the Mercedes method works on any drive-by-wire Lexus. I tried it and it worked.

It was a very small thread and I suspect few people saw it, so I thought I'd bring it up again.

Try it, already... so you guys don't think I'm talking out my exhaust pipe.
Old 04-02-08, 05:53 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

has anyone tried this method? am still a little hesitant......

Quick Reply: Transmission Shifting Prematurely